The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

McLelland couldn't even adequately explain that call to the rest of his crew after he made it.

And because one catcher didn't argue one call, that means McLelland is one of the most respected umpires among the players.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
McLelland couldn't even adequately explain that call to the rest of his crew after he made it.
If you are referring to the Brett call, you are mistaken, at least according to the crew chief who discussed the situation with McLelland BEFORE the call was made.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm referring to the Padres-Rockies one where he ended a team's season, not the one where he took a mid-season homer away.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
And you were listening in on the post-game conversation how?
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I was given an account by two of the participants at two different times that echoed each other's.

But that's okay; it was a great effort and a great call with everything on the line, and we are all privileged to watch the work of one of the profession's true greats.

There, how's that?

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 07:17pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I saw the play plain as day, when it happened. Prove I didn't or STFU.
It was proved. We all saw the video in the link. That is from TBS; what you saw on your TV. From that original shot in real time it is impossible to be sure about anything.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
It was proved. We all saw the video in the link. That is from TBS; what you saw on your TV. From that original shot in real time it is impossible to be sure about anything.
You may be right. McClelland had a really bad angle on the play. Who's fault was that? And I couldn't get the link to work. I'm going on memory from the live play, saying "safe, he didn't touch the plate!," yelling it over and over, before they ever showed a replay.

Hey, I'm really sorry that McClelland blew the call, but blow it he did. If he didn't see it, it was because he was screened by the catcher, which means he had a poor angle.

If it were Doug Eddings, C.B. Bucknor or Angel Hernandez or other unpopular umpire, everyone would be jumping all over him. But no, we dare not criticize Tim McClelland. What, we build a shrine? How about that horrible call against the Twins last night? Wow, talk about a gross miss! Are we going to stick up for that call too, just because we're "brother umpires." What a crock. If a pro or and amateur misses a call, there is nothing wrong with saying so.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You may be right. McClelland had a really bad angle on the play. Who's fault was that? And I couldn't get the link to work. I'm going on memory from the live play, saying "safe, he didn't touch the plate!," yelling it over and over, before they ever showed a replay.

Hey, I'm really sorry that McClelland blew the call, but blow it he did. If he didn't see it, it was because he was screened by the catcher, which means he had a poor angle.

If it were Doug Eddings, C.B. Bucknor or Angel Hernandez or other unpopular umpire, everyone would be jumping all over him. But no, we dare not criticize Tim McClelland. What, we build a shrine? How about that horrible call against the Twins last night? Wow, talk about a gross miss! Are we going to stick up for that call too, just because we're "brother umpires." What a crock. If a pro or and amateur misses a call, there is nothing wrong with saying so.
McClelland is not immune to criticism anymore than Hernandez, Bucknor or Eddings are. The fact is he blew a critical call, and people can discuss the ramifications of it just like as would for any unpopular umpire.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No

That is Mike Muchlinski... a guy who takes time out of his busy schedule to come up to the NW and train our new guys...
So he missed the call, we have all been there...Mike is a guy (like Drake et al) who will be the next generation of full time umpires..
A guy with solid mechanics and great presence on the field.

Nuff said
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Suggestion for those arguing: consider not responding to a post in which you feel attacked. I did this for the first reply of the thread, and looked like the bigger man for it. This is an approach to at least consider.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
No

That is Mike Muchlinski... a guy who takes time out of his busy schedule to come up to the NW and train our new guys...
So he missed the call, we have all been there...Mike is a guy (like Drake et al) who will be the next generation of full time umpires..

Nuff said
Steve is talking about the play in the 2007 season with the Rockies/Padres, not the play in the Twins/A's game on Monday.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No

Nuff said
I admire him for all that he's done, and his being a good guy makes his blowing that call so much worse.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:14am

Quote:
I didn't say who it was, I was just pointing out the gross miss. Isn't Mike the guy who just worked the plate at the AAA All-Star Game? I thought he was terrific in that game. I was just making a point that it's okay to criticize an umpire for a bad call. Whenever I make a bad call, my partners aren't shy about letting me know about it after the game, so what's the difference?
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Steve is talking about the play in the 2007 season with the Rockies/Padres, not the play in the Twins/A's game on Monday.
No, I was talking about the Twins/A's game too. Gardenhire, who is a major garden tool, actually had a case this time. And even he said after the game that sometimes umpires miss calls and that it's part of the game. My point is that saying "how hard the call was," or "oh, you think you could have done it better," or "he had a bad angle" are not valid excuses to miss calls. And yes, I think I wouldn't have missed either of those calls. You think I would? Then you don't know me at all. (Not you, Nigel, but anybody in general)
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say who it was, I was just pointing out the gross miss. Isn't Mike the guy who just worked the plate at the AAA All-Star Game? I thought he was terrific in that game. I was just making a point that it's okay to criticize an umpire for a bad call. Whenever I make a bad call, my partners aren't shy about letting me know about it after the game, so what's the difference?

That's why it is hard to get your point across in writing...when I first replied "NO" to your earlier comment, I was referring to your line about backing up your bretheren no matter what...

I also only wanted to point out who the ump in question was as well...

Yep, Mike is a good guy and I thought he did a great AAA all-star game as well.