The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I really appreciate the locking of posts lately....We need more baseball on this forum and less catfighting. Saying this, we also need some of the senior members who do know baseball to stay out of the catfights as well. Remember gents, it says baseball, not softball. For the new guys, i have one word of advice (since i am relatively new as well). Call it as you see it, and don't yell at deaf ears.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:30am
Do not give a damn!!

There is always going to be fighting on an internet site. Go to any discussion board and read any topic and you will see people calling names and people arguing about all kinds of stuff. The topic could be about basket weaving and someone would be upset if someone talked about the kind of needle that someone used. That will never go away.

Part of the reason you have more fighting here right now, is another well known site has cut out all the crap and have made everyone that posts show their IP address. Now all the trolls have come here and brought the fight over here. This is just apart of the culture of the internet and the culture of umpires. Umpires are some of the most anal people in all of sports officiating. So the fighting amongst baseball umpires is just par for the course. It would be nice if people focused on the sport, but that is not going to happen. Long before you got here and before I started posting, this is just the way it was.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

That's funny...I haven't said a peep about you in quite a long time, but you come out swinging almost every time you see my name. I can recall multiple incidents within the past month that showed your inability to act classy and professional. Is that what you were referring to just now?
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Thank you.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Love & Logic

There is a series of books/courses called, Love & Logic. A big part of it is on how to NOT get into arguments with a child. The short of it is that you reply to childish arguments with replies such as: "I know", or "I know that this is difficult" (empathetic and disarming) or if they are persistant in trying to draw you into an argument, say "nice try". The trick is to not allow yourself to be drawn into an argument with a child (its a no win situation).

It's hard to let a whiney argument go un-corrected. The instinct is to try to correct (persuade) the child of their error. This is most always futile and only fuels the argument.

Perhaps a Love & Logic approach here could save some BW and lower the amount of trash that we need to sift through to find the true nuggets of information.

... less is more ...end of my waste of BW.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
That's funny...I haven't said a peep about you in quite a long time, but you come out swinging almost every time you see my name. I can recall multiple incidents within the past month that showed your inability to act classy and professional. Is that what you were referring to just now?
That is funny, because I do not recall that your name came out in my post. Once again you feel everything is about you or what you say.

Bye Bye.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

That is funny, because I do not recall that your name came out in my post. Once again you feel everything is about you or what you say.

Bye Bye.

Peace
Get your own website and you won't have to worry about it. DDDDDDDDDDdUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH [/B][/QUOTE]

You are the one complaining someone is using censorship. I am just telling you how it is. Big *** cry baby!!!

Peace
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
I really appreciate the locking of posts lately....We need more baseball on this forum and less catfighting. Saying this, we also need some of the senior members who do know baseball to stay out of the catfights as well. Remember gents, it says baseball, not softball. For the new guys, i have one word of advice (since i am relatively new as well). Call it as you see it, and don't yell at deaf ears.
This is an amazing post.
I lurk here and probably haven't posted here in a year of more so I am sure you don't recognize my name.

But your little slam towards softball is unwarrented.
Baseball has always had more fights, on the field and on the boards than any other sport (hockey doesn't count as a sport, more like an organized fight)
I get tired of the BS going back and forth and the fruitless exchanges that occur here, so I read and privately email when I feel the desire to converse on a topic.
As the saying goes, it takes two to tango and I have enjoyed tangoing/tangling from time to time myself.

If you want to change things, don't respond to the idiots or those who you know are going to argue.
Some are a fount of information, some are a fount of bad information.
Some have real skills in dealing with people and others have no skills and must bully their way though discussions, game situations and life.

The biggest problems we have as umpires is that we are viewed as dogmatic a@@holes becuase of a few that don't know how to work without throwing their weight around.

I have been umpiring many years, I am in my 28th year now, and I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have worked everything in baseball short of the show (A, AA, AAA) and in amateur baseball only the Olympics have escaped my bad calls (he he)
I have lost evey game I have ever worked but never won a single one.
I hope that I have never hung a partner out to dry on a call but I have put some on the spot.

Work what you ( YOU is used generically here) like, quit your whinning and remember, there are thousands (yeah, you read that right) who can easily replace you.

If you were as great as you think you are, you wouldn't be still working high school, JUCO, D I, II or III. You would be in the show are we would be discussing the merits of your mechanics, and your blown calls in the Series.

In the end, what I am saying is realize that you are just one person who has some skills that many others have.
Use those skills to the best of your ability to give a decent game and QUIT BEING IMPRESSED WITH YOURSELF.

Alright, I am going back to lurking now.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Nice post but softball has its own forum.

Also, if you are going to preach about not putting others down and putting on airs than leave hockey alone. Hockey is an immensely athletic SPORT that fighting is a destructive but popular part of.

That's all. Seriously, that was a great post.

D
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Part of the reason you have more fighting here right now, is another well known site has cut out all the crap and have made everyone that posts show their IP address. Now all the trolls have come here and brought the fight over here.
honestly, if i was into that whole trolling and faking stuff, showing my IP would not matter one bit. what are any of you on any umpire site going to do with my IP? match one troll to another troll to find out the same person is behind them? ohhhhhh trolls across america are shaking in their boots. sure it holds you "accountable," but any good troll would use a proxy for their operation and you'd never know who was who.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
"Hope your firewall is properly configured" -Mr. Rootkit circa Dec 10, 20005
Now this, is funny.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Part of the reason you have more fighting here right now, is another well known site has cut out all the crap and have made everyone that posts show their IP address. Now all the trolls have come here and brought the fight over here.
honestly, if i was into that whole trolling and faking stuff, showing my IP would not matter one bit. what are any of you on any umpire site going to do with my IP?

"Hope your firewall is properly configured" -Mr. Rootkit circa Dec 10, 20005
im 100% locked down, running SuSE 10
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

There are programs available commercially to reconfigure your IP address. It can make you appear in Kansas, Dubai, London, Montevideo, Madrid, Virginia Beach, Perth...

It protects you and confuses them. Technology is an amazing weapon.