The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Blocking Question

I've searched but couldn't find an answer to this question.

Is there a distinction in the rules (at any level) that allows for a baserunner to crash into the catcher in an attempt to dislodge the ball, but not crash into a fielder at another base?

I'm a USSSA softball umpire, and the applicable rule there is similar--I think--to the rule that seems to govern baseball runners going to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, namely (and I'm paraphrasing): If a fielder is in possession of the ball and is waiting to make a tag, the runner must slide or attempt to go immediately around the fielder. That is, they can't barrel into a defensive player who is in possession of the ball.

Situations:

Runner on 1st. Base hit to RF. Runner rounds 2nd and heads for third. F9 throws a laser. F5 fields the ball in front of the bag (in the basepath) with the runner still 15 feet away. Runner maintains "ramming speed" (Animal House) and barrels into F5. Ball comes loose and runner touches 3rd. I assume he's ruled out for interference, correct?

Same situation but at the plate. In MLB, at least, the runner is safe at home, right?

(Assume each fielder only enters the basepath after he's in possession of the ball, so there's nothing close to obstruction.)

Is there something in the MLB rules that addresses this difference? Or is it an "unwritten rule" that the runner's allowed to do this when home plate is the destination?

Also, what, if any, are the differences in NCAA or Federation highschool?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
I've searched but couldn't find an answer to this question.

Is there a distinction in the rules (at any level) that allows for a baserunner to crash into the catcher in an attempt to dislodge the ball, but not crash into a fielder at another base?

THere's no difference in FED, NCAA or OBR between plays at the plate and plays at other bases.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 10:32am

Quote:

Runner on 1st. Base hit to RF. Runner rounds 2nd and heads for third. F9 throws a laser. F5 fields the ball in front of the bag (in the basepath) with the runner still 15 feet away. Runner maintains "ramming speed" (Animal House) and barrels into F5. Ball comes loose and runner touches 3rd. I assume he's ruled out for interference, correct?
Not interference. In FED, malicious contact. Out and ejected. In any league with slide or avoid modified OBR rules, safe and ejected. In straight OBR, runner is safe, and will be dealt with later by the opposition (i.e., spiked, thrown at, etc.)
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Steve,

Actually in most leagues I have seen with "...slide or avoid modified OBR rules...", the runner is OUT and is ejected if the contact is deemed malicious.

Like USSSA (baseball), for example:

Quote:
8.07.I Any runner is out when:

8.07.I.12 Whenever a tag play is evident, a runner must slide or seek to avoid contact with the fielder and / or
catcher. Attempting to jump, leap, or dive over the fielder and / or catcher is not interpreted as seeking to avoid contact. Malicious contact shall supersede all obstruction penalties.
Rule 8.07.I.12 Penalty: The runner shall be called out and may be ejected from the game at the umpire’s discretion.
Rule 8.07.I.12 Comment: When enforcing this rule, the umpire should judge the runner’s intent. If the umpire feels that the contact was unintentional, then the runner should only be declared out. If the umpire feels that the contact was intentional and / or malicious, then the runner should be declared out and ejected.
JM
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 02:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Steve,

Actually in most leagues I have seen with "...slide or avoid modified OBR rules...", the runner is OUT and is ejected if the contact is deemed malicious.

Like USSSA (baseball), for example:

JM
Yeah, that may have changed somewhat over the years, and probably varies from org to org. I do remember PONY baseball only ejecting, but calling the runner safe if the ball was dislodged. This was back in the dinosaur age, IIRC.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
This has been my experience as well.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yeah, that may have changed somewhat over the years, and probably varies from org to org. I do remember PONY baseball only ejecting, but calling the runner safe if the ball was dislodged. This was back in the dinosaur age, IIRC.
At one time PONY took the result of the play and an ejection. According to the umpire coordinator at the time, this was specifically aimed at contact after the runner reached the plate/base.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

cool, thanks for the OBR, FED, NCAA stances.

but.....does anyone know why it's apparently ok in MLB for the runner coming home to do his best Mike Alstott impression?
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

but.....does anyone know why it's apparently ok in MLB for the runner coming home to do his best Mike Alstott impression?
Because the rules allow it. It has always been accepted in a sport where "Men are Men" "Women are Slaves" and the Sheep are all nervous" ?????

I did a semi-pro league several years back where the catcher got wiped out twice in one game. First time he dropped the ball, second time he recorded the out. Each time he picked up his head and went back to catching. That was the OBR rules they adopted and accepted.

I still remember Pete Rose runing into the catcher during and AllStar game. Of course he would run into a wall if the coach asked him to.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is no malicious contact rule in OBR.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 11:47am
Stop staring at me swan.

most leagues in MN play modified OBR with no malicious...in fact, they use the NCAA collision rule at home and the OBR collision or FPSR on 1B, 2B, 3B
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
most leagues in MN play modified OBR with no malicious...in fact, they use the NCAA collision rule at home and the OBR collision or FPSR on 1B, 2B, 3B
Adult leagues, you mean.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
OBR shaving age

That runner will be beaned next at bat or maybe get cleats to the ear.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 05:54pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Adult leagues, you mean.
yes, thank you
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
NCAA has a malicious rule, OBR does not have a collision rule or FPSR.