The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Dayton article- short honeymoon for pros apparently

Dragons batters object to strike zone in 1-0 loss
Mosby was called out to end the game on a pitch that should have been ball four.
By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON | None of the Dayton Dragons would say so, but it was apparent most of them would rather see the Class A Midwest League umpires back picketing outside Fifth Third Field rather than working inside, especially behind home plate.

It was the second time in two weeks Mosby was called out on a pitch he wouldn't have been able to reach had he swung, and he slammed his helmet to the ground, earning the Dragons' second ejection of the game — even though the game was over.

In the seventh inning, third baseman Eric Eymann also was ejected after a way-outside third-strike call.

"You're terrible," Eymann said he told Alper, who apparently didn't want anybody in the game who felt that way.

"The best thing to say is it was a good game," said Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr., who was very pleased with Zach Ward's eight innings of two-hit pitching. "We had some pitches go against us. It happens sometimes."

All minor-league umpires went on strike over wages and benefits at the beginning of the season and didn't ratify a new contract and report back to work until June 12. Up until that time, teams had to hire local amateur umpires.

While the amateurs lacked consistency, the pro umpires have been drawing the wrath of players nearly every game, especially at home plate.

Bad calls or not, the Dragons could not muster a run.

Double plays in the second and fourth innings wiped out opportunities, and Adam Rosales' triple to begin the ninth — after South Bend scored in the top of the inning — went wasted. Jay Bruce and B.J. Szymanski both struck out swinging on 3-2 pitches before Mosby, also on a 3-2 count, was wide-angled.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

So what's the point? The players b*tch when replacements are there, they b*tch when the pros are back. The common denominator is... players b*tch. And I am sure the staff writer is an expert on what pitches are too far outside to be called strikes...
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
So what's the point? The players b*tch when replacements are there, they b*tch when the pros are back. The common denominator is... players b*tch. And I am sure the staff writer is an expert on what pitches are too far outside to be called strikes...

Well put, DG. And I bet that writer had a perfect vantage point to call balls and strikes.

Doug
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:44pm

Could this writer be any more of a freakin' homer?

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

i agree keyman that players cry and whine......but when the replacements were working it was presented by managers and striking umpires alike that if there was no strike then these problems on the field would not take place.

it was always the fault of the umpires during the strike.

when the managers and players were crying about balls and strikes where was your statement then?

seeing that the strike is now over it's the rats fault or the writers bad judgement right. there is no way the umpire could be at fault......is there??
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa, nelly ..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUMP
i agree keyman that players cry and whine......but when the replacements were working it was presented by managers and striking umpires alike that if there was no strike then these problems on the field would not take place.

it was always the fault of the umpires during the strike.

when the managers and players were crying about balls and strikes where was your statement then?

seeing that the strike is now over it's the rats fault or the writers bad judgement right. there is no way the umpire could be at fault......is there??

SCUMP,

A little perspective, please. No matter which pony you backed during the strike, the common denominator is that PLAYERS AND COACHES B**TCH NO MATTER WHO OR WHAT IS CALLING BALLS AND STRIKES !!!!!

They (the players and coaches) need a scapegoat when they don't perform well, or as they think they should. And we, as umpires, are that "excuse". NO MATTER WHO THE UMPIRE IS, OR HIS LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY.

Doug
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Whaddya Know

Another "AMLU Guys Are Not Really That Good" article/thread. I would have never guessed.

Strikes and outs!
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

uh keymen what does the first line in my post say? does it need to be in caps for you?

I AGREE THAT PLAYERS CRY AND WHINE!!!!!!

my point is and was that is not how it was presented time and again during the strike. it was always presented by the press and the striking umpires that this would not be taking place if the regular umpires were working.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
SCUMP,

A little perspective, please. No matter which pony you backed during the strike, the common denominator is that PLAYERS AND COACHES B**TCH NO MATTER WHO OR WHAT IS CALLING BALLS AND STRIKES !!!!!

They (the players and coaches) need a scapegoat when they don't perform well, or as they think they should. And we, as umpires, are that "excuse". NO MATTER WHO THE UMPIRE IS, OR HIS LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY.

Doug
Uh, Doug...that was the point for the past two months. AMLU supporters touted that professional umpires don't have their calls second guessed. Most of us laughed and reminded them of the MLB brethren that regularly get skewered. Some of us reminded them that we knew they were using 'homer' writers to get their message in the papers. One MiLB umpire's mother was responsible for many of those stories being placed in the public eye.

If you recall, when the end of the strike was announced, I wrote: "Great, I can't wait to see a perfect game finally get called." The sarcasm was dripping and aimed at all those who felt that the replacements were horrible. I also told them to remember that someday they would rejoin the amateur ranks and never be capable of doing a good job again. (grin)

Relax...the AMLU still has their SCAB index page up on their site. Obviously they haven't forgotten what transpired and never learned what the word 'professional' means.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here we go again...

SCUMP, WWTB, Lawyer,

Didn't we just go over this?

Please, in the name of all that's holy, can't we smokem peace pipe?
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Dancing by myself

In the spirit of fair play, I will refrain from disparaging the AMLU as soon as I see the SCAB page removed from their site and a retraction of their condemnation of amateur umpires. You see, it takes two to tango.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Peace!!!!!
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 09:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUMP
Peace!!!!!
SCUMP, it's puff, puff, pass...not puff, puff, puff, puff....
Marijuana
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

im sick of reading this ****.

all umpires suck at their jobs. we all suck to anyone else, so this isnt news. whens the last time the newspaper said "little timmy struck out 9 times in the double header, but the umpires called a great game. that plate umpire had his eyes right on the outside corner every single pitch. the calls couldnt be made any better by a computer or robot."
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well, all these comments aside, as a Dayton Ump watching the sports highlites on the news, ...the view was directly behind home plate on the strike call per this thread, and I gotta say guys, it was way outside- I mean not even close enough to give the PU the benefit of the doubt.....sometimes we blow it and deserve the wrath...