The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Real pros

Watched a high level boys game last night with a top ten team in the Chicago area in a packed raucus gym. Of course I'm watching the officials half the time and trying to learn something. Very up tempo play with plenty of transiton. The crew had that detached, even keel, relaxed feel to them. The more wild the play, the more in control they seemed. Tom Huster was one of crew, a state final guy in Illinois and I really admire his workman like approach to the game. Has that 'we have a job to do' demeanor, and exudes that he and his crew are in control at all times. Never overselling a call, yet no hesitancy either. Just good clean calls and mechanics. Never heard a peep from either coach or as much as look from players or coaches.

One thing I learned last night is stop watching the big dogs on TV and try and emulate the top guys in my area.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Watched a high level boys game last night with a top ten team in the Chicago area in a packed raucus gym. Of course I'm watching the officials half the time and trying to learn something. Very up tempo play with plenty of transiton. The crew had that detached, even keel, relaxed feel to them. The more wild the play, the more in control they seemed. Tom Huster was one of crew, a state final guy in Illinois and I really admire his workman like approach to the game. Has that 'we have a job to do' demeanor, and exudes that he and his crew are in control at all times. Never overselling a call, yet no hesitancy either. Just good clean calls and mechanics. Never heard a peep from either coach or as much as look from players or coaches.

One thing I learned last night is stop watching the big dogs on TV and try and emulate the top guys in my area.
Agreed 100%...it is tough to learn a lot from the guys on TV because while they are obviously highly skilled they do things their own way...and given the level they have achieved they have earned that right in a sense. You, me probably 90-something% of the people on this board haven't earned that right yet....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

There is another reason it's hard to learn from TV. The camera's don't focus on them. It's a lot easier when you're at the game.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There is another reason it's hard to learn from TV. The camera's don't focus on them. It's a lot easier when you're at the game.

I meant more of the selling and theatrics of calls on TV which has it's place.

Waving off a basket ala Mendy Rudolph style for a 6th grade girls travel game is not what I want to learn or incorporate.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Great observations. You can get through a game with minimal resistance from players and coaches with good judgment and people skills, learned over years of hard work and introspection. It does happen. Sounds like the light bulb is bright in your head. Nice job!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

You can also pick up things not to do watching other officials in your area. Last night I had a sophmore/varsity double header a loooonnnng way away for a Tuesday night. Another official worked in with us for the opening game. I picked up on a few things he did that I had been told I did in my earlier career. It was a good self-evaluation tool to remind me why I stopped doing those things. I had a great game through 3 quarters, btw, but the better team pulled away at the end. I'm dragging today at work. Not a lot of sack time last night.