Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post
If I were in their shoes, I'd love it. What would be greater than coming to a message board to read people kicking a call that I nailed?
Almost anything. If you got the call right, you don't deserve to have people saying you made the wrong call.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Drake cut his hair this year.

I think he also made the wise decision to stop wearing his shades on his hat like an idiot.

He looks like a professional this year. Last year, he looked like a pompous slob.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I know that professional umpires are not allowed to post on umpiring forums, but with all the talk about them in the major and minor leagues, do they read discussions on here at all? Would they be offended by people saying they made a bad call, or would they not care? How come Rob Drake set up a forum if you're not even allowed to post on forums as a professional umpire?
I've met a few who say when they're completely bored they visit a couple of sites for a few chuckles.

They can stand up to professional professional players, managers and thousands of fans who think they've made a bad call, why should they be bothered by you?

As for Rob, you're a year late.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Almost anything. If you got the call right, you don't deserve to have people saying you made the wrong call.
Really? I mean, who actually cares?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
I've met a few who say when they're completely bored they visit a couple of sites for a few chuckles.

They can stand up to professional professional players, managers and thousands of fans who think they've made a bad call, why should they be bothered by you?

As for Rob, you're a year late.
I never said they should be bothered by me. Why would they? I always support their calls, such as the out call on Jeter.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:53am

Quote:
I never said they should be bothered by me. Why would they? I always support their calls, such as the out call on Jeter.
You support the obvious blown calls as well? Why? If I'm talking about some pro umpire kicking the living crap out of a play and he comes here and sees it, why would he care? He knows he booted it, and can handle us jumping on him. You don't have to blindly support every call an umpire makes. I happen to agree on the Jeter call, but that's another thread.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
If McLelland reads this forum, it's nothing I wouldn't say to his face.
tim mcclelland is prolly one of the few umpires who has top MLB credibility that few players, if any would bother arguing with him. Despite his small strike zone, how many pitchers do you see arguing his zone? Even pitchers are praising it. In the 07 one game playoff padres-rockies, when he made that slow call at the end, the padre catcher said that because it was mcclelland making the call, there was no way he'd go argue it. IMO, he does seem to have a somewhat lazy strike mechanic (called and swinging), but with his credibility, he can pretty much do whatever he wants to do.

if u look at the link below, in 2008, he only tossed out 2 ppl and one of those was bobby cox (who gets thrown out all the time by everyone).
List of 2008 MLB Ejections

of course, the umpire who'd get the most criticism is Ron Luciano, the guy has a complete disregard for professionalism. From eating a hot dog between innings with fans to bringing his coffee onto the field during live action to shooting out runners, he's prolly the only ump that fans actually came to see. It's fun joking about imitating Luciano but I would never actually do it on the field...
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
In the 07 one game playoff padres-rockies, when he made that slow call at the end, the padre catcher said that because it was mcclelland making the call, there was no way he'd go argue it.
Oh, you mean when he was making the wrong, convenient, lazy, oh, and did I mention wrong call at the end? Lot's of people argued it. The game was over so you really didn't see it, but the Padres and their fans are still bitter about it. We are all still waiting for Matt Holliday to touch home plate.

Give me 10 Lucianos over 1 McClelland. He was wrong with George Brett and the pine tar when he was a rookie, and he was wrong in 2007 as a veteran!
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
tim mcclelland is prolly one of the few umpires who has top MLB credibility that few players, if any would bother arguing with him. Despite his small strike zone, how many pitchers do you see arguing his zone? Even pitchers are praising it. In the 07 one game playoff padres-rockies, when he made that slow call at the end, the padre catcher said that because it was mcclelland making the call, there was no way he'd go argue it. IMO, he does seem to have a somewhat lazy strike mechanic (called and swinging), but with his credibility, he can pretty much do whatever he wants to do.

if u look at the link below, in 2008, he only tossed out 2 ppl and one of those was bobby cox (who gets thrown out all the time by everyone).
List of 2008 MLB Ejections
If you think that Tim McLelland is one of the most credible umpires among players, then you enjoy a fantasy world existence.

The time has long since come for a motivated and interested umpire to take his spot.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
He was wrong with George Brett and the pine tar when he was a rookie
What would you have called? And if you choose to say anything other than, "the same way thing he did" then prepare for the, "Quit making up rules."

There is no other way for him to rule in that situation, it clearly stated in the rulebook how far up the bat the tar could go, he exceeded it (by some reports 6"). TM made the only call he could, he called him out. When a call is spelled out in B/W in the book, you cannot use "the spirit of the rule" to issue your call. Yes, MLB overturned it, but that is a separate issue (mostly because they new the rule was antiquated so the next year they removed it).
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

The San Diego catcher did not argue the call. He stated both to the press and to the author of As They See 'Em that he did not argue the call only because it was McClelland who made it.

The Padres manager made a similar statement.

I suppose if McLelland had the advantge of seeing the play in slo-mo and from four different angles, he may have made a different call. In real time, from his positioning he made his call. Get over it.

McLelland made the correct call in the Brett episode by the rule in existance at the time. And he made the call only after be asked to examine the Bat by Billy Martin. He conferred with his crew chief who agreed with the call, and, if fact, offered to announce the call and call Brett out. To his credit, rookie McLelland said it was his call and he would make it.

Later MLB hung him out to dry with the "spirit of the rule" statement.

It should be noted that Brett was warned in a preivious game about the pine tar on his bat, AND after the incident, his bats never had as much pine tar. And remember how Brett and Royals tried to hide the bat? Rats all the way.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:48pm

Quote:
I suppose if McLelland had the advantge of seeing the play in slo-mo and from four different angles, he may have made a different call. In real time, from his positioning he made his call. Get over it.
I had it right in live action. I saw him miss the plate by plenty when it went down. And I was just watching on TV, not right on top of the play. I very rarely blow calls in my games, too. I can't remember missing one by as big a margin as that one was missed.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:07pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Wow. I'm surprised you're not in the Show. You apparently are good enough.
He's laid claim before that he was good enough.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I had it right in live action. I saw him miss the plate by plenty when it went down. And I was just watching on TV, not right on top of the play. I very rarely blow calls in my games, too. I can't remember missing one by as big a margin as that one was missed.
Couldn't be any more obvious on live TV. How could he get one wrong by such a big margin?

Major League Baseball: Media Player
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:49pm

Thank you Luke, the video shows it clearly to me.
Closed Thread