The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

And you thought QuesTec was bad for baseball...

With New System, Digital Eyes Will Chart Baseball’s Unseen Skills - NYTimes.com

"A new camera and software system in its final testing phases will record the exact speed and location of the ball and every player on the field, allowing the most digitized of sports to be overrun anew by hundreds of innovative statistics that will rate players more accurately, almost certainly affect their compensation and perhaps alter how the game itself is played."

Full Story
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

"A new camera and software system in its final testing phases will record the exact speed and location of the ball and every player on the field, allowing the most digitized of sports to be overrun anew by hundreds of innovative statistics that will rate players more accurately, almost certainly affect their compensation and perhaps alter how the game itself is played."

Full Story
Interesting software. It will defiantly be a help to managers and coaches who know how to use it. It might even find it's way into umpiring as a means of training and evaluation. But either still seems a long way off.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Full Story
anything that actually works properly and will hold the umpires accountable is a good thing and will only make the game better, not worse. This reminds me of union rules that forbid stopwatches on workshop floors bc it might make the workers feel pressured into actually working hard.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I now feel even luckier to have never had to be on a workshop floor, much less being on a workshop floor with some descendant of Draco standing over me with a stopwatch.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I now feel even luckier to have never had to be on a workshop floor, much less being on a workshop floor with some descendant of Draco standing over me with a stopwatch.
I agree that a boss shouldnt be standing over someone saying it took you 2.5 min to assemble that piece, when you should be assembling them in 2.25 minutes, speed up or youre fired. The problem arises when a boss simply wants to know how long it takes something to be done, they arent even allowed to do something that simple and innocuous.

Lets say you are thinking about putting a conveyor belt system in to transport boxes from pt A to pt B, obviously you would only do this if it made things faster (or easier) on you employees. But the union boss wont let you go out there and time how long it takes the employee to carry the box from pt A to pt B.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, I couldn't feel luckier.