The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Taking signs while off the rubber - with a twist

I know we've been over and over the topic of the pitcher looking for signs while not in contact with the rubber. I'm not looking to start a new debate but wanted to share a situation I've never encountered before.

I have the plate for a legion game on Friday night. The batter is in the middle of his AB, 2-1 count. The batter is in the box and the pitcher is on the mound straddling the rubber.

The batter then requests time, which I grant. He backs out of the box to my left and I leave the area to my right. The batter then looks at me and asks, "Wasn't he taking signs while off the rubber?"

I'm not sure I heard him correctly so I ask him to repeat it.

"The pitcher wasn't on the rubber when he was taking signs."

I reply, "Concentrate on your hitting and leave the umpiring to me. Get in the box."
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Tell him to look down at the catchers fingers while he is in the box and tell you...

Good answer!
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

This is the problem we get ourself into. The kid asks a very legit question and gets a "none of your business answer." Instead of treating the kid like he had no idea what he was talking about, how about "Time, son your exactly right, the rule say this and that but the penalty for this is ..... and therefore we basically are only obligated to give a warning" or someting similar to this.

A straight forward question, deserves a straight forward answer. You were given an oppurtunity to display your knowledge as an umpire and gain more respect but, you choose to let the kid walk away thinking you were a pompus blue with an attitude.

I would have taken the time to answer the question, then if the kid started with and attitude, it would be treated differently or he may have just said, "thanks Blue, I didn't know that."
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Sheesh

After that you could ask for everyone to have a group hug.

I go with waltjp on this one.

I don't EVER explain rules to players.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
This is the problem we get ourself into. The kid asks a very legit question and gets a "none of your business answer." Instead of treating the kid like he had no idea what he was talking about, how about "Time, son your exactly right, the rule say this and that but the penalty for this is ..... and therefore we basically are only obligated to give a warning" or someting similar to this.

A straight forward question, deserves a straight forward answer. You were given an oppurtunity to display your knowledge as an umpire and gain more respect but, you choose to let the kid walk away thinking you were a pompus blue with an attitude.

I would have taken the time to answer the question, then if the kid started with and attitude, it would be treated differently or he may have just said, "thanks Blue, I didn't know that."
You would interrupt the at bat, the pitcher and the flow of the game to gaive a rules clinic?

Good gravy.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Although my response might have been less authoritative than Walt's, I would have said something like "OK. He wasn't. Let's go. Play!"

I'm still not going to spend the time to explain it. If he wants to learn the rules, pick up a few books like us and learn them. Then, he can have the same level of understanding as we have. Otherwise, leave him as dumb as he was when he stepped in the box.

Simple, short baseball answers. I'm not there to give a rules clinic. Just to call a game.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

The more you talk, the more trouble you get into.

Give him a hug and cookie while you're at it.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Sheesh!

I absolutely understand where most of you guys are coming from! Why would any of you want a player to think you're not just another arrogant prick? But seriously, Georgia, if the kid was right about the rule, what's your point in saying, "Leave him as dumb as he was when he stepped in the box"?

Waiting for the "rat" references.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:49am

My response to the batter: Okay, so what? What is the proper penalty?

Okay then, get in the box and bat.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post

If the cheese fits...
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

"No, he's OK. Let's go."

Same as when a coach asks about a balk move that isn't. I'm going to answer the question, not give a rules clinic. I try not to be an azz about it.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I absolutely understand where most of you guys are coming from! Why would any of you want a player to think you're not just another arrogant prick? But seriously, Georgia, if the kid was right about the rule, what's your point in saying, "Leave him as dumb as he was when he stepped in the box"?

You apparerently understand umpiring as much as you understand the concept of lurking.

I love coaches. First they scream, "don't coach my players" if an umpire talks to the catcher. Then they whine when an umpire decides getting on with the game is more important than coaching their batter.

It's summer time, spokane, don't you have t-ball game to prepare for?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What was he right about for any rule? He said the pitcher wasn't on the rubber when taking signs. He made a statement and was countered by one. He wasn't right about any rule. As far as I could tell, he was making an observation. If he wants to make one, then make it. Otherwise, leave him as dumb as he was.

He obviously had no idea why he was making that statement. I guess the myth of it being a balk was in his head. So, I'll leave him as dumb about it as he was since all he was doing is making an observation with absolutely no point by it. So, why am I going to try to teach him anything? He doesn't even know how to approach it to say "He took the signs off the rubber. Is that a balk?" Then, he gets a "No" and let's go.

If he isn't smart enough to get to the answer he is looking for, then I will not give it to him and "Leave him as dumb as he was when he stepped in the box". I'm not a mind reader. He made an observation and I agreed with him on the observation. What's wrong with that?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Ah!!!!!!!!

The arrogant official.

Thanks for validifying my point guys.

I am sure though, your nose is too far in the sky to care.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:31am
Stop staring at me swan.

Sometimes when they ask a simple question, I will answer them...for me it depends on how the game is going...if I haven't had any issues up to this point, I'll simply say that he's waiting for you to get set in the box. I will not explain the rule...I think another poster had stated..."nope, he's good" and we play on. Ultimately we are there to umpire the game and they are there to play the game. Sometimes we have to give attitude, sometimes we can simply answer the question.