The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Take it as you want. The umpire is not there to put on a rules clinic. If they want one, go to one. I think I am going to start taking Tim_C's attitude on these things and say "Go hug a tree".

The coach is there to teach him. The umpire is there to call the game. If something happens that the coach doesn't understand, then he is the one to talk to the umpire and get a clear understanding. If he doesn't have a problem with it, then his players don't have a problem with it.

Pretty simple philosophy isn't it? Coach teaches, umpire calls. What about that doesn't the batter get? If he has a question, ask his coach and his coach can ask the umpire if he can't explain it himself. Nothing arrogant about that.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Take it as you want. The umpire is not there to put on a rules clinic. If they want one, go to one. I think I am going to start taking Tim_C's attitude on these things and say "Go hug a tree".

The coach is there to teach him. The umpire is there to call the game. If something happens that the coach doesn't understand, then he is the one to talk to the umpire and get a clear understanding. If he doesn't have a problem with it, then his players don't have a problem with it.

Pretty simple philosophy isn't it? Coach teaches, umpire calls. What about that doesn't the batter get? If he has a question, ask his coach and his coach can ask the umpire if he can't explain it himself. Nothing arrogant about that.
I don't disagree a simple "He is fine" would be suffice however, that is not what was stated.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think a "he's fine, now let's play" would be sufficient and appropriate.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 01:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Ah!!!!!!!!

The arrogant official.

Thanks for validifying my point guys.

I am sure though, your nose is too far in the sky to care.
Hmmm, I have to take issue here. It isn't arrogant to tell a player to mind his own business and to concentrate on his own job. What it is is preventative maintenance.

We aren't allowed to coach the players, and they aren't allowed to coach us. Little Bucky Beaver shouldn't be worried about where the pitcher is taking his signs. That's our job. Do we grab his bat and say, "here's how it's done, son?" No. So he has no business trying to interject his opinions about the rules. If he wants to become an umpire, he will first have to change clothes.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, I guess its ok for us to POINT to who calls time out so we can keep everyone happy and it makes us look like we really know what were doing but, when we get a chance to verbally let them know, then we don't want to play the part anymore because it may look like were human beings under that uniform. Heaven forbid that evers happens.

To bad respect isn't just as easy as singing about it like Aretha Franklin did.

Then again, some may just not care, whatever.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Let me clarify a few points. I'm not a hard *** when I ump. If someone asks a legit question I'll answer it as best I can in the time allowed. Like others have said, I'm not out there to conduct a rule's clinic.

This particular batter had been stepping out all night and calling time when at bat. By the time he asked about the pitcher taking signals I was out of patience with him. And even with that my answer may have been different if his tone was different.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:40pm
In Time Out

[QUOTE=GA Umpire;611 So, why am I going to try to teach him anything? He doesn't even know how to approach it to say "He took the signs off the rubber. Is that a balk?" Then, he gets a "No" and let's go.

I[/QUOTE]

Depends if they are playing by FED rules. This is supposedly a balk in their rule set.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Let me clarify a few points. I'm not a hard *** when I ump. If someone asks a legit question I'll answer it as best I can in the time allowed. Like others have said, I'm not out there to conduct a rule's clinic.

This particular batter had been stepping out all night and calling time when at bat. By the time he asked about the pitcher taking signals I was out of patience with him. And even with that my answer may have been different if his tone was different.
I agree, we should not be holding rules clinics. I was just basing my comments on the original thread. Given the new information, I probably would have handled it the same.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This particular batter had been stepping out all night and calling time when at bat.
Shame on you for letting him get away with that.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This particular batter had been stepping out all night and calling time when at bat.
Batters do not call time, they ask for time. Umpires call time, but not every time it is asked for.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Shame on you for letting him get away with that.
Maybe you can be specific and tell me exactly what I let him get away with so I can correct it next time.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe you can be specific and tell me exactly what I let him get away with so I can correct it next time.
You don't say whether you granted time at every request, but that would be one thing (if your request here is serious). You're probably aware that 6.02(d) prohibits the batter from stepping out of the box after most pitches. It has penalties, depending on what happens.

Slow batters make slow pitchers, and slow pitchers make long games.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
"No, he's OK. Let's go."

Same as when a coach asks about a balk move that isn't. I'm going to answer the question, not give a rules clinic. I try not to be an azz about it.
I think this answer is okay. I'd probably go with something along the lines of, "Maybe -- but that's allowed."

While we should address the question, and not be arrogant, we should also try to keep the "rules clinic" to 5 words or less.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't say whether you granted time at every request, but that would be one thing (if your request here is serious). You're probably aware that 6.02(d) prohibits the batter from stepping out of the box after most pitches. It has penalties, depending on what happens.

Slow batters make slow pitchers, and slow pitchers make long games.
No, I don't grant the TO on every request. If the batter puts his hand up I'll watch to see what's going on. If TO is required I'll call it. If not, I'll instruct him to get in the box. I have no problem telling a batter to stay in the box after every pitch.

My games have a good pace to them. One of my pet peeves is partners on the plate who do not control the tempo between innings or during ABs. Like you said, it slows the game down to a snail's pace.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"No, he's OK. Let's go."

Same as when a coach asks about a balk move that isn't. I'm going to answer the question, not give a rules clinic. I try not to be an azz about it.
that's more what I would do and what I like. Short and simple, but you did answer his legitimate question.

Hey, the kid might be an umpire one day ...

Thanks
David