The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Lot's of good advice here based on sound experience. I have only owned 2 CP's in 30 years of umping. A Carlucci and a West Vest by Douglas. Still own both. I use the Carlucci for upper level ball and the WV for lower div. To me it's like insurance. Buy the best and hope you will never need it. Invest your money in quality equipment and maintain it. It will last you a long time.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdezinno View Post
looking to by equipment. Diamond CP vs Pro 9 CP

Add Honig's K1 to the list.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

A good rule with respect to buying equipment: Decide the highest level of ball you expect to be working in the next 10 years. Buy the kind of equipment used by the guys in your association who do that level.

If you expect to be working HS varsity or up in that time frame, then I would by a West Vest (gold or platinum), a mask or helmet that costs more than $100, and Davis or Honigs shins.

And: don't forget plate shoes. I picked up a pair of New Balance 450s last offseason for under $100.

It's a lot of money up front for officiating, but (a) it's tax deductible, and (b) it's cheaper than a new head.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A good rule with respect to buying equipment: Decide the highest level of ball you expect to be working in the next 10 years. Buy the kind of equipment used by the guys in your association who do that level.

If you expect to be working HS varsity or up in that time frame, then I would by a West Vest (gold or platinum), a mask or helmet that costs more than $100, and Davis or Honigs shins.

And: don't forget plate shoes. I picked up a pair of New Balance 450s last offseason for under $100.

It's a lot of money up front for officiating, but (a) it's tax deductible, and (b) it's cheaper than a new head.
You can get good masks for well under $100. The West Vest Wilson models and the lightweight Diamond come to mind.

You don't need Davis or Honigs shin guards. Diamond and All-Star make good shin guards as well, not to mention Wilson's multiple models.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You can get good masks for well under $100. The West Vest Wilson models and the lightweight Diamond come to mind.

You don't need Davis or Honigs shin guards. Diamond and All-Star make good shin guards as well, not to mention Wilson's multiple models.
Your opinion. I was posting what I would do.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your opinion. I was posting what I would do.
Just pointing out that you don't NEED a mask over $100, even if you're doing high level high school or even college ball. In fact, there are very few traditional masks over $100. (Wilson Titanium, All-Star...anything else?)

I've seen MLB guys wearing this Wilson Tan Umpire Mask: Ump Attire before. If it's good enough for them, I think it's good enough for any of us.

This one too: Wilson Chrome Moliben Umpire Mask - New View: Ump Attire
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdezinno View Post
I am doing 12 and under LL. Does that change your advice
Somewhat seriously, somewhat joking: "You might consider the "raft."

Last edited by Bishopcolle; Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 03:25pm.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you decide on the 450s (I LOVE mine) get them at shoebuy.com. Use the coupon code "DAD" to get them for around 80 bucks shipped. The site runs 20% off coupon codes fairly regularly and that's the time to score them.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
If you decide on the 450s (I LOVE mine) get them at shoebuy.com. Use the coupon code "DAD" to get them for around 80 bucks shipped. The site runs 20% off coupon codes fairly regularly and that's the time to score them.
And, be sure to buy them 1/2 size larger than your normal size.