The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   equipment (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53572-equipment.html)

mdezinno Tue Jun 09, 2009 02:46pm

equipment

looking to by equipment. Diamond CP vs Pro 9 CP
Placing order today wilson 10" Dyna lite, Wilson charcoal grey cp,Diamond shins and 450 plate shoe. Thia should be a good set up from what I have read thanks for the help.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:02pm

Neither.

West Vest or Wilson hardshell, All-Star Professional Model, All-American hardshell, V-Sport hardshell, or Champion Hardshell.

Don't skimp on protection, cut costs somewhere else. Look around for the best deals on the best gear.

Welpe Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:04pm

What Steve said. I have the Wilson Platinum and love it.

Ump Rube Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:05pm

While I agree with SDS on higher level CPs. I understand if you are just starting and are not going to be doing higher level games, then I would recommend the Pro-9. I used it for a couple of seasons it fits well, and is easy to adjust. It does have a downside the chest clip (that goes around the back from one side to the other) is made of plastic and is near the front. I don't remember taking a shot there, but if you do it might break. In the end, it is your choice on what fits best and protects what you want protected.

mdezinno Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:06pm

I am doing 12 and under LL. Does that change your advice

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 607784)
While I agree with SDS on higher level CPs. I understand if you are just starting and are not going to be doing higher level games, then I would recommend the Pro-9. I used it for a couple of seasons it fits well, and is easy to adjust. It does have a downside the chest clip (that goes around the back from one side to the other) is made of plastic and is near the front. I don't remember taking a shot there, but if you do it might break. In the end, it is your choice on what fits best and protects what you want protected.

You can pick up a new V-Sport or Champion hardshell for just about the same price as a Pro-9. I would opt to have the baseball ricochet off my chest rather that have it actually get felt by me. YMMV.

rookieblue Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:20pm

I've used a Pro-9 for several years now - started out with LL and now call high school, Babe Ruth, travel ball, men's league (hell, wherever and whenever they send me!).

I have felt exactly one pitch with this protector, a fastball the catcher clean missed that hit me in the solar plexus and winded me briefly.

That's it.

If you plan on calling higher levels of ball, I would follow Steve's (and others') advice and invest in the Wilson Platinum or like product. My next vest will certainly be of that class.

For 12 and under LL, however, the Pro-9 provides ample protection. Bear in mind, you may start out at LL and then find you have an aptitude for this work, and want to move up.

mdezinno Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:46pm

how about the gerry davis gear shins,cp mask

DonInKansas Tue Jun 09, 2009 03:47pm

Shins are shins. just find some that are comfortable for you. That's the easiest place to cheap out.

briancurtin Tue Jun 09, 2009 05:36pm

Try searching the forums to see what people think.

kylejt Tue Jun 09, 2009 05:55pm

Trust me on this, long after the bills are paid, you'll never regret buying the best.

Gold, Platinum or the original WV. I like the Platinum, but I may not be built like you. Hard shell, even for little people. Again, trust me.

The Davis package is okay, but you'll want something better in a year. Shins are shins, just make sure they mate to your plate shoes properly, and aren't too bulky under your pants.

briancurtin Tue Jun 09, 2009 06:35pm

Speaking of equipment, Honigs and Gerry Davis both appear to only sell one version of the grey titanium Wilson mask...but it isn't listed if that's the "new-view" or the standard view mask. Obviously I could email them and ask, but does anyone know off-hand what the deal is?

Edit: sort of nevermind this. The GD site says it's the "new view" style, but Honigs doesn't list anything.

ozzy6900 Tue Jun 09, 2009 06:36pm

As one who already spent time in the hospital due to an inadequate CP, my advice is Hard Shell and nothing else. I use the WV Platinum. I don't care what level you are doing, if a ball catches your cheap CP in the wrong place, you get to meet new people. Paramedics, nurses, doctors - get it?

What flattened me was a 95+ MPH pitch that was fouled back and never touched by F2. Straight to the chest, right over the sternum. It's very interesting that you have enough time to realize that you are in serious trouble because your heart is pounding but not correctly. Then the batter's box hits you square in the face.

ManInBlue Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 607803)
Shins are shins. just find some that are comfortable for you. That's the easiest place to cheap out.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I did cheap out on shins, and got hurt more than once. Once I got hit in the shin and had a bruise there by the time I was headed to the house (yes I was wearing my shin guards at the time). Time to upgrade!!

Get something with some padding behind it. The WV shins are nice but slightly pricey (you won't know you've been hit). There are some very similar that are less costly - GD carries some good ones.

For 12u you MIGHT be able to cheap out, but why risk it?

zm1283 Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18am

I have the Diamond iX3 shin guards and I really like them. They can be had for around $50 new as well. They're triple knee like some of the Wilsons, and they have the removable toe protector flap thing. I've taken several pretty good shots off of them and haven't felt a thing.