The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,220
Obstruction on Pickoff

OBR

F3 is positioned with his right foot on the corner of first base that points towards the mound. When the pickoff throw comes from F1, he takes his whole foot and puts it length wise on the second base side of first base to block the runner diving back and applies the tag.

Would this be obstruction or legal since he is in the act of fielding the ball?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
I guess it would be a judgement call. If he intentionally put his foot there, which what it sounds like to me, he is denying access to the base. I would call obstruction.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
OBR

F3 is positioned with his right foot on the corner of first base that points towards the mound. When the pickoff throw comes from F1, he takes his whole foot and puts it length wise on the second base side of first base to block the runner diving back and applies the tag.

Would this be obstruction or legal since he is in the act of fielding the ball?
OK several points here.

First, receiving a pickoff throw from F1 is not "fielding the ball," a phrase generally reserved for a batted ball. The protection a fielder has while fielding a batted ball he has ONLY on a batted ball.

In OBR, the fielder can block the base once F1 has thrown the ball. The play you describe is HTBT, but it's possible under OBR that your play is legal.

FYI, FED has made this play OBS: F3 cannot deny access to the base until he has the ball.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 07:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
OBR

F3 is positioned with his right foot on the corner of first base that points towards the mound. When the pickoff throw comes from F1, he takes his whole foot and puts it length wise on the second base side of first base to block the runner diving back and applies the tag.

Would this be obstruction or legal since he is in the act of fielding the ball?
OBR: Legal.

NCAA: Obstruction, if the "contact" happened before F3 caught the ball; legal if the contact happened after F3 caught the ball (the timing of the placing of the foot is not relevant)

FED: Legal, assuming the F3's foot is shorter than the side of the base (15") -- F3 has left access to part of the base, even if it's not the part R1 wanted (see 8.3.2G, 8.3.2L). If the entire base is blocked, then the same as NCAA.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
In OBR, the fielder can block the base once F1 has thrown the ball. The play you describe is HTBT, but it's possible under OBR that your play is legal.
where did you get that from ?

regards
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 06:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_ View Post
where did you get that from ?

regards
Standard OBR interp (J/R, etc.) is that a fielder may block a base if a play is "imminent," where "imminent" is defined as the ball over the infield. So, if F2 blocks the plate when the outfielder still has the ball, that's OBS; if he blocks it when the ball is over the infield, he's OK.

Since the throw from F1 to F3 on a pickoff is always an "imminent" play, F3 is OK to block the base once F1 has thrown the ball.

QED.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Standard OBR interp (J/R, etc.) is that a fielder may block a base if a play is "imminent," where "imminent" is defined as the ball over the infield. So, if F2 blocks the plate when the outfielder still has the ball, that's OBS; if he blocks it when the ball is over the infield, he's OK.

Since the throw from F1 to F3 on a pickoff is always an "imminent" play, F3 is OK to block the base once F1 has thrown the ball.

QED.
thanks ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

falsecut,

In FED, the standard convention is that "dashes" are used for Rule Book cites and "dots" are used for Case Book cites.

Bob is referencing the Case Book.

JM
__________________
Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pickoff at 2nd, what's the call? fits Baseball 56 Fri Jul 18, 2008 08:21am
obstruction on a pickoff ? _Bruno_ Baseball 25 Thu Jul 26, 2007 04:27pm
Pickoff at first TwoBits Baseball 4 Sun May 20, 2007 07:12pm
Third to first pickoff bossman72 Baseball 14 Tue Jul 19, 2005 08:19am
RHP pickoff at first bzydadof2 Baseball 19 Thu Apr 21, 2005 09:17am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1