The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Evalutions by coaches

I belong to a local association for both basketball and baseball. Unfortunately, the association does not have the resources to provide an intensive evaluation program for officials. Most of all this is a result of covering such a large number of schools over a very large area.

Anyways, I was wandering around the internet a few months ago and found an association that has an online form for administrators/coaches/etc to evaluate the performance of officials for their contests. It is VERY similar to the sportsmanship form we have to fill out for the state online. I thought it was a possible solution to the lack of evaluation in our association since I believe that some feedback is better than no feedback. Additionally, I believe it would be a benefit to the assigner from the association because red flags may be risen that the organization should know about. Case and point, last night I heard a doozy of a story from a set of coaches about Monday that I reported to the assigner this morning:

"Sophomore double header. One of the umpires was late for the game. He ended up arriving about 15 minutes after the start. I’m sure there was a reasonable explanation for the tardiness (ie last moment substitution due to illness/work commitment/etc) and that’s what I told the coaches. They weren’t upset about that. What they were questioning was his unprofessionalism in the field. Supposedly after an attempted pickoff the runner slide back into first base. He just barely made it back. For some unexplained reason there was a break in the action (I would assume to clean off the base or defensive conference, I really don’t know) and the base umpire was over at first as the coach was lecturing the player about watching the pitcher for movement. The umpire interjected himself into the conversation and said, “All the runner has to do is watch me. I can tell when the pitcher is going to attempt a pick off and I start moving towards first before the pitcher even throws it.” The coaches are just stunned an umpire would be so unprofessional and help a team basically cheat."

Needless to say I got a call this morning from the assigner who thanked me for the heads up and that professionalism needed to be addressed because of another incident that happened this week as well with another crew.

I talked with him about the idea of having an evaluation form on our website for administrators/coaches/etc and he thought it has potential as well. Do any of your associations has similar means to evaluate officials? Obviously, each evaluation will have to be judged with a grain of salt depending on the evaluator but I believe the concept has promise if done correctly. I graciously volunteered my time to sift through the generated e-mails (which I'll probably come to regret ) but I did so because I think it is a good direction for the association.

Any thoughts? If your association has an online form and would like to share it with me, I would great appreciate it!

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is a good idea. Umpires need to be held accountable for their actions. And, sometimes, an evaluator outside the fence can't see/hear everything. But, as you said, many(if not most) will have to be sifted through for things more than just a rant b/c they didn't like the strike zone and need to be taken lightly.

But, if an umpire does something like this which seems impossible to be made up, then assigners need to know and handle the situation.

I think, if done properly and followed through, it can be effective.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Our association tried it and all we learned from it was that coaches don't have a clue about mechanics but feel free to b!tch about umps being out of position and they just love to show off their ignorance of the rules.

We no longer invite their input.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I guess a common gripe I've always found with coaches is they don't feel they have an input in the assigning of officials. Although, as a matter of opinion, they shouldn't have a say. At least this way they will feel as though they have a dog in the fight (although they will be equipped with a standard issue Teacup Yorkie, not a pitbull) with the evaluation of these officials.

I'm sure it will be taken by some as an sounding board for all their complaints but these people will be noted almost instantly.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Our association tried it and all we learned from it was that coaches don't have a clue about mechanics but feel free to b!tch about umps being out of position and they just love to show off their ignorance of the rules.

We no longer invite their input.
Did your evaluation form include drop down/check mark responses or text boxes?

I like the way our sportsmanship ratings are for the state. It provides a drop down rating for each of the areas (Coaches, Players, Spectators):

Quote:
Explanation of Ratings:

* 1 - EXCELLENT: Sportsmanship was exemplary; model behavior displayed, exceptional officiating experience.
* 2 - ACCEPTABLE: Sportmanship was acceptable; behavior generally good; expected officiating experience.
* 3 - NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: Sportsmanship needs improvement; behavior concerns; disappointing officiating experience.
* 4 - UNACCEPTABLE: Sportsmanship was unacceptable; severe behavior concerns; intolerable officiating experience.

Then underneath each heading (Coaches, Players, Spectators), it has a few check mark radios-boxes for additional detail:

Quote:
Coach's Rating: {drop down box}

Please select any of the following comments that apply regarding the coach:
  • Courteous and respectful throughout the contest
  • Commended player's actions on the field
  • Cooperative in helping officials with unsportsmanlike behavior from fans and players
  • Questioned judgment of officials
  • Argumentative attitude concerning official's decisions
  • Not knowledgeable of contest rules and/or IHSAA policies
  • Use of abusive language
  • Use of abusive gestures

Athletes' Rating: {drop down box}

Please select any of the following comments that apply regarding the athletes:
  • Commended teammates' actions on the field
  • Positive interaction with opponents during the contest
  • Questioned judgment of officials
  • Argumentative attitude concerning official's decisions
  • Use of abusive gestures (includes throwing equipment)

Spectators' Rating: {drop down box}

Please select any of the following comments that apply regarding the spectators:
  • Commended coaches and players' actions on the field
  • Commended actions of coaches and players of opposing team on the field
  • Disrespectful comments to game officials
  • Disrespectful comments to game participants
  • Disrespectful comments to opposing spectators
  • Confronted officials following the contest
  • Use of abusive gestures
I think additionally a general comments field would be necessary and functional to address any specific problems or concerns. I haven't thought about specifics I would like to include for an officials' evaluation but I'll think about it as I get more input.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Those coaches who have passed a mechanics test and the rules exam are welcome to evaluate me.

The rest can be thankful that I'm not invited to evaluate them.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'll just put this out there since mechanics is obviously going to be an issue, proper mechanics is not the purpose of this proposed evaluation. It will be more geared towards knowledge of rules, application of rules, and comportment. Mechanics will "mistakenly" be left out of the discussion. Although some coaches may not have the best grasp of rules, they will be of some help to a assigner who never gets the opportunity to see the officials. This is a tool for the association assigner, not an end all.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I'll just put this out there since mechanics is obviously going to be an issue, proper mechanics is not the purpose of this proposed evaluation. It will be more geared towards knowledge of rules, application of rules, and comportment. Mechanics will "mistakenly" be left out of the discussion. Although some coaches may not have the best grasp of rules, they will be of some help to a assigner who never gets the opportunity to see the officials. This is a tool for the association assigner, not an end all.

-Josh

When we tried it, high school coaches rated our D-1, former MiLB and top rated Varsity officials in the lower categories. They rated newer varsity officials, some of who responded more to their whinings, and the occasional JV umpire who got a Varsity game, in the higher categories.

Their idea of what makes a good umpire was obviously different from college and high school evaluators.

Overall, it doesn't matter to me what you do. I just find the exercise worthless and not deserving of any time or effort.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I like the way our sportsmanship ratings are for the state. It provides a drop down rating for each of the areas (Coaches, Players, Spectators):
Then underneath each heading (Coaches, Players, Spectators), it has a few check mark radios-boxes for additional detail:

-Josh
You sound suspiciously like a coder.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 05:03pm

Evaluations by coaches...

...are usually worthless.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
You sound suspiciously like a coder.
Not a coder but son and brother of coder I can find my way around that arena but have steered clear of the field as a career

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool Coaches' evaluations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Steve,

Aside from the "entertainment value", of course.

Can't beat 'em for that!

JM
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Our state has coaches rate officials in all varsity contests in most sports. They put quite the emphasis on it as a matter of fact. If a coach doesn't rate officials they can be barred from the playoffs in their sport for that year.

Surprisingly enough, we don't get to rate the coaches. Funny how that works.

Yes, evaluations by coaches are worthless. It's like letting fans do it.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Coaches have no business evaluating umpires - period!

A coach is there to take his team through the battlefield to victory, not to determine what was the cause of the loss or the victory of the battle.

Most coaches do not have any idea what the rules are, how they are interpreted, what umpire mechanics are, which set of mechanics are used at what level....... I could go on and on! Of course, you have those coaches who are "umpires" as well as coaches. they always are right there to tell you all your faults and shortcomings. I usually remind them that unless they are my partner, they need to stick to being a coach because that is what they chose to do today.

Only an umpire can evaluate another umpire and it has to be someone that knows the rules, the proper mechanics and preferably, has some time under his/her belt. Evaluators do not focus on calls but what led to the call. The umpires initial position, the signals to each other, the game situation, the "pause, read, react" that brought the umpire to his decison. None of this can be done by someone who's sole job is to lead his team through battle.

Lastly, when I can evaluate a coach and his players, then I will allow a coach to evaluate me.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
When we tried it, high school coaches rated our D-1, former MiLB and top rated Varsity officials in the lower categories. They rated newer varsity officials, some of who responded more to their whinings, and the occasional JV umpire who got a Varsity game, in the higher categories.

Their idea of what makes a good umpire was obviously different from college and high school evaluators.

Overall, it doesn't matter to me what you do. I just find the exercise worthless and not deserving of any time or effort.
We used the Arbiter and it allowed coaches to evaluate us in basketball and baseball. It was interesting because we could go look at the ratings, but not the comments.

You could always count on it when you had a coach who was upset at the game, your rankings would go down the next week.

I even had a coach tell me one time, that will go into my evaluation. Of course I did not care, but they did think it was something that they could hold over us.

We lobbied that we should be able to evaluate the coaches, we did get to evaluate the school as a whole as far as things like dressing room, security available, etc.,

At the end of the season, they would send us our rankings etc., it was absolutely absurd, in baseball my lowest ranking was always ...

"understands the rules of the game".

Since I was the rules interpreter and on the board, we got to see everyone's rankings etc., and the younger officials who "were still learning" would get ranked a lot higher on "understands the rules" and also on "maintains control of the game".

We figured it was because the coaches liked being able to "bully" the younger officials and to get away with things that the veterans would not let them such as balks, rule interpretations etc.,

Bottom line, it was not useful and a waste of time.

We found it much more helpful to have an evaluation form that we filled out on each other and sent it to our assigning sec. to keep on file. It was confidential and no one other than the board ever saw any of these.

Thanks
David
Closed Thread