View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
When we tried it, high school coaches rated our D-1, former MiLB and top rated Varsity officials in the lower categories. They rated newer varsity officials, some of who responded more to their whinings, and the occasional JV umpire who got a Varsity game, in the higher categories.

Their idea of what makes a good umpire was obviously different from college and high school evaluators.

Overall, it doesn't matter to me what you do. I just find the exercise worthless and not deserving of any time or effort.
We used the Arbiter and it allowed coaches to evaluate us in basketball and baseball. It was interesting because we could go look at the ratings, but not the comments.

You could always count on it when you had a coach who was upset at the game, your rankings would go down the next week.

I even had a coach tell me one time, that will go into my evaluation. Of course I did not care, but they did think it was something that they could hold over us.

We lobbied that we should be able to evaluate the coaches, we did get to evaluate the school as a whole as far as things like dressing room, security available, etc.,

At the end of the season, they would send us our rankings etc., it was absolutely absurd, in baseball my lowest ranking was always ...

"understands the rules of the game".

Since I was the rules interpreter and on the board, we got to see everyone's rankings etc., and the younger officials who "were still learning" would get ranked a lot higher on "understands the rules" and also on "maintains control of the game".

We figured it was because the coaches liked being able to "bully" the younger officials and to get away with things that the veterans would not let them such as balks, rule interpretations etc.,

Bottom line, it was not useful and a waste of time.

We found it much more helpful to have an evaluation form that we filled out on each other and sent it to our assigning sec. to keep on file. It was confidential and no one other than the board ever saw any of these.

Thanks
David