The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Sorry my games plus adult beverages kept me so long from clarifying my point. In regards to the ball --> strike I was referring to the fact that when nothing is said and no signal given that the pitch is considered a ball. And also that on check swing (if not called) is considered a ball until an ump rules it strike.

To further clarify, I am in the no preconceived notions (at least I try), but I do tend to meander to the strike unless shown otherwise.
That is some major league feet shuffling. You and MajorDave should meander over to the dance floor.. and do the strike shuffle.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 12:11am.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

I fixed my earlier post in this thread

I was talking on the phone while typing and did not proofread. My son was giving me a game update from the Louisville v Vandy regional game and I did a dangerous thing-typing while talking. (grin.)

I am in the strike until it is a ball camp. I promise.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2 View Post
To preface this post, I am a football official and know absolutely NOTHING about baseball umpiring.

I was watching the JUCO World Series this past weekend and there was a close play at the plate in the bottom half of the 9th inning. My question is about the mechanics and positioning of an umpire at home plate for a bang-bang play. The umpire was on the 3rd base/home plate baseline extended (see pic #10 at Day 7 of JUCO 2009, May 29 | Photo Gallery | GJSentinel). It appeared to me that the runner tagged the base with his left hand and the catcher either did or didn't tag the runner in the back as he was in the sitting position either at the same time, slightly before or slightly after he tagged the plate. Basically a really tough call.

It seems to me that from the umpire's view point, he wouldn't be able to see the tag on the back of the runner since the tag would have occured on the runner's back. Is there ever a time where the umpire would remain in the area behind the plate for this call?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
What's the question exactly? From the photo it looks like a close call. The umpire has positioned himself on the 3rd baseline extended, which is a good spot for swipe tags. Beyond that there's nothing to judge from the photo.

As for the question you ask: no, the umpire should not stay behind the plate. Proper positioning puts him on one of the baselines extended, depending on where the ball's coming from and what type of play he expects.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What's the question exactly? From the photo it looks like a close call. The umpire has positioned himself on the 3rd baseline extended, which is a good spot for swipe tags. Beyond that there's nothing to judge from the photo.

As for the question you ask: no, the umpire should not stay behind the plate. Proper positioning puts him on one of the baselines extended, depending on where the ball's coming from and what type of play he expects.
I guess my question was how would the umpire know if the tag was actually made since the tag would be made on the opposite side of the player's body than the ump was positioned on? Is it just a feel thing, where you get used to knowing if the player was tagged? I guess, to me, it would seem like you could see that better from behind the plate (but then you would be obstructed from seeing the plate I guess) - hey man, I don't know - just wondering.

Last edited by GPC2; Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 08:10am.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess my question was how would the umpire know if the tag was actually made since the tag would be made on the opposite side of the player's body than the ump was positioned on? Is it just a feel thing, where you get used to knowing if the player was tagged? I guess, to me, it would seem like you could see that better from behind the plate (but then you would be obstructed from seeing the plate I guess) - hey man, I don't know - just wondering.
I'm not sure how to answer your question without sounding like a smartass. He gets into a position where he expects to be able to see, and then he looks. Sometimes weird stuff happens and he can't see as well as he might. Based on what he sees he makes a call, since nobody is gonna do it for him.

Standard mechanics never leave the umpire directly behind the plate for these plays, if that's what you're asking, even if on the rare play that would provide the best angle. Positioning for every umpire is always a matter of playing the odds.

Does that help?
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right. As it turns out, there could have been a better place (based on the pictures). But, that "better place" would heve made it more difficult if the tag had been on the side / arm / shoulder of the runner closer to the catcher. And, the play goes from a "tag on the shoulder" to a "tag on the back" in about .1 seconds (SWAG).

It happens in all sports (I don't work FB, so I won't try to come up with an exact analogy). All you can do is use your experience, and other evidence (sound, the movement of F2's glove / arm) to determine what most likely happened.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. I know this was a really tough play and I just wanted to get some insight into what actually happens (from an officiating standpoint) on a bang-bang play at the plate.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Try to get in the best position possible to make the call based upon your training and experience, call what you see and move on. If you missed it...try to learn from the mistakes made and don't make them again...then whenever possible, educate one more person about what you learned from that play...then maybe they won't make the same mistake. Sometimes we get 'em right, some times we miss 'em, but we're calling what we see. I guess that's the human element.