Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
That was a mistake. Earlier it shows his first ejection, which was on May 20:

"HP Umpire Todd Tichenor ejected Marlins left fielder Jeremy Hermida to end the bottom of the 10th inning of the Diamondbacks-Marlins game for arguing a called third strike. With two out and one on, Hermida took a 2-2 fastball from Diamondbacks pitcher Tony Pena for a called third strike. Replays indicate the pitch was located above the knees and on the inside corner, the call was correct. At the time of the ejection, the contest was tied, 7-7. The Diamondbacks ultimately won the contest, 11-9."
I just checked the archive of that game...Hermida threw his bat up in the air kinda behind him, never looked at Tichenor and did not appear to say anything. Then Tichenor pointed to that bat and, took off his mask and said something. Then, Hermida said something and got tossed. That one seems a little over the top to me but, oh well. Tichenor has proved his awesomeness to me sufficiently to get the benefit of the doubt.

For those of you with MLBtv, the innings are off on the replay and the audio is WAY off.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

When it's time to go ... it's time to go go go go.

Nobody should have to put up with people getting in their face cussing and yelling, not umpires, not short order cooks, not used cars salesman. Why do we baby these over paid crybabies that have ruined baseball. Yes it is about the game, play ball and shut the *beep* up.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Posted Prior to Peter Gammons

More and more umpires are showing up on video replays. Those highlights often cut away as the broadcasters continue to "dig up some dirt" on the umpire. It appears that the powers that be do not want to stamp out these meaningless confrontations, thus MLB stinks in this regard.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
As an ex-catcher I will say that Varitek did what he was suppose to do to keep his pitcher in the game.
Varitek is not a good catcher in general, and what he did was completely idiotic, which is only slightly less idiotic than what Beckett did.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is that Varitek probably thought that Beckett was going to get dumped and he figured he had a chance of taking Beckett's place.

It looked like it worked. What about what Varitek did was idiotic?

Are you a Yankees fan?
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Varitek is not a good catcher in general, and what he did was completely idiotic, which is only slightly less idiotic than what Beckett did.
I'm sorry, but what you know about baseball could fit on the head of a tack...
That pitch was worthy of a strike...MLB to Connie Mack all the way down to little league....

Beckett was not showing up anybody, but showing frustration at the expense of an umpire who should have called a strike...Varitek protected his pitcher....
Watch it 4 or 10 times til you get what baseball is all about
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:49am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Is it just me or did Varitek pull that pitch?
It isn't much, but it sure looks like it to me.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 02:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
That pitch was worthy of a strike...MLB to Connie Mack all the way down to little league....

Beckett was not showing up anybody, but showing frustration at the expense of an umpire who should have called a strike...Varitek protected his pitcher....
Pulled pitch, just outside. What's smaller than a tack? I'll send it your way.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 09:05am

Quote:

Aw, did your widdle Wed Sox get a ball called on them? Waaaaaaaah.

Look here...Brian knows plenty about baseball. I would put his baseball knowledge up against anyone else on this forum.

Varitek is a tool, and deserved to get run. So the umpire maybe missed a pitch? What, you've never missed a pitch? Get real. When you turn around to argue with the umpire, you are showing him up. If you don't know that, then there is plenty of room on the head of that tack.

Beckett is lucky he didn't get run for screaming the obscenity, which was most certainly personal for the umpire. But that doesn't excuse Varitek's actions, protecting his pitcher or not. He can't stay in the game.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Pulled pitch, just outside. What's smaller than a tack? I'll send it your way.

Probably your strike zone
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 11:30am

Good one!
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Aw, did your widdle Wed Sox get a ball called on them? Waaaaaaaah.

Look here...Brian knows plenty about baseball. I would put his baseball knowledge up against anyone else on this forum.

Varitek is a tool, and deserved to get run. So the umpire maybe missed a pitch? What, you've never missed a pitch? Get real. When you turn around to argue with the umpire, you are showing him up. If you don't know that, then there is plenty of room on the head of that tack.

Beckett is lucky he didn't get run for screaming the obscenity, which was most certainly personal for the umpire. But that doesn't excuse Varitek's actions, protecting his pitcher or not. He can't stay in the game.
Far from a sox fan...
Seems to me being the 7th inning, and Beckett's reaction, he missed more than one pitch during the game...

Varitek gets run plain and simple for his actions...but don't back Brian when he calls him a poor catcher...I only answered this cause it pisses me off when people send out generalities like this.

Oh yeah, and I never slice...
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seems to me being the 7th inning, and Beckett's reaction, he missed more than one pitch during the game...
You're basing your idea of how Tichenor's zone was by the player's reactions? I guess that's all we need to hear.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey when Beckett starts throwing perfect games everytime out and Varitek hits 1000 and throws out every steal attempt then and only then will they come up to the perfection level of the officials. I believe they officiate at about the 97% perfection rate or higher.

It was a ball, because thats what is was called, period.

Varitek, and Francona couldn't accept that. GOOD BYE.

I think your the one thats needs to figure out what baseball is all about, because you certainaly have'nt grasped this concept yet.

And I am a Sox fan too.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 05:58pm

Quote:
...but don't back Brian when he calls him a poor catcher...I only answered this cause it pisses me off when people send out generalities like this.
Brian did not say that Varitek was a poor catcher. He said he "is not a good in catcher general," which is a correct statement. Varitek is a rather average catcher, as major league catchers go.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sun May 31, 2009 at 08:52am. Reason: to correct grammar