The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I had back to back freshman & JV boys games - same schools Juulie had last night. Both have good programs & are very competitive.

The freshman game was run & gun from the opening tip - athletic, well played and aggressive, but surprisingly under control for this level. We had 34 fouls total, which isn't all that bad considering the aggressiveness & level of play. The score was very close all the way. Six seconds left in the game, visitors up by one, home has ball OOB under their own basket, I'm the Lead administering the throw-in. Home inbounds the ball & after a couple seconds gets a shot off. They scramble for the rebound & home finally controls it, takes a quick dribble step out, spins, feints & shoots at the buzzer. My partner counts the basket, home wins by one, 67-66. The only problem is, I know for fact the ball hadn't left the shooters hand when the horn went off. It was technically in my partner's coverage area(although I was a whole lot closer & had an unobstructed view), and when I made eye contact he emphatically confirmed the call, so that's the way we left it.

The JV game was more of the same, only faster and a little more physical. It started to get a little ugly in the 2nd, and again in the 3rd, but one intentional and a couple double foul calls straightened that out pretty quickly. Overall it was a great game, even though the outcome was never in doubt, with the visitors winning 78-64.

I certainly got my running in tonight. This definitely makes up for some of the mind numbers I've had the last few weeks.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
I had back to back freshman & JV boys games - same schools Juulie had last night. Both have good programs & are very competitive.

The freshman game was run & gun from the opening tip - athletic, well played and aggressive, but surprisingly under control for this level. We had 34 fouls total, which isn't all that bad considering the aggressiveness & level of play. The score was very close all the way. Six seconds left in the game, visitors up by one, home has ball OOB under their own basket, I'm the Lead administering the throw-in. Home inbounds the ball & after a couple seconds gets a shot off. They scramble for the rebound & home finally controls it, takes a quick dribble step out, spins, feints & shoots at the buzzer. My partner counts the basket, home wins by one, 67-66. The only problem is, I know for fact the ball hadn't left the shooters hand when the horn went off. It was technically in my partner's coverage area(although I was a whole lot closer & had an unobstructed view), and when I made eye contact he emphatically confirmed the call, so that's the way we left it.

The JV game was more of the same, only faster and a little more physical. It started to get a little ugly in the 2nd, and again in the 3rd, but one intentional and a couple double foul calls straightened that out pretty quickly. Overall it was a great game, even though the outcome was never in doubt, with the visitors winning 78-64.

I certainly got my running in tonight. This definitely makes up for some of the mind numbers I've had the last few weeks.
WHich site? Who was your partner? Did you stay for Varsity?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

And how's your daughter?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Lincoln boys at Cleveland. Partner was Otis B. I stayed & watched the first half of the varsity, then I had to go home & ice my knees. Visitors were up 28-24 at the half.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And how's your daughter?
About the same, and your son?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lincoln boys at Cleveland. Partner was Otis B. I stayed & watched the first half of the varsity, then I had to go home & ice my knees. Visitors were up 28-24 at the half.
Okay, that explains why you said you'd seen the newspaper write up. That's not the schools I had. I had Central Catholic/Centennial, which in spite of ripping an entire newspaper to shreds I couldn't find an article about!
Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope your knees recover.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
And how's your daughter?
About the same, and your son?
Basically, he's back to his old self -- same kidney problem, but no viral complications. Apparently, however, this is going to be a regular routine -- the going into the hospital for a couple of days when a virus or bacteria hits hard. We are just hoping it won't be frequent. And that Michael doesn't lose his job (ie insurance!)
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, that explains why you said you'd seen the newspaper write up. That's not the schools I had. I had Central Catholic/Centennial, which in spite of ripping an entire newspaper to shreds I couldn't find an article about!
Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope your knees recover. [/B]
Sorry, my goof - must have been a brain fart......I thought you had Cleveland at Lincoln....guess I just should have checked the web site.

Ice usually does the trick....it better, I've got 3 more HS games this week & a pair of G88 tournament games on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to Friday - I've got Putnam at Lakeridge JV girls....definitely staying to watch that varsity game afterwards!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to Friday - I've got Putnam at Lakeridge JV girls....definitely staying to watch that varsity game afterwards!
It won't be a game. It'll be a Jillian Harmon special. I'm betting Putnam var doesn't get to 30. JV maybe as high as 25.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
It won't be a game. It'll be a Jillian Harmon special. I'm betting Putnam var doesn't get to 30. JV maybe as high as 25.
As in Jillian Harmon 29 - Putnam 28?