Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Read the OP then pop-off.
I did read the OP, and that was the point. The OP said FED game. The response was talking about OBR, which can be different and not helpful, chief.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I did read the OP, and that was the point. The OP said FED game. The response was talking about OBR, which can be different and not helpful, chief.
I'm pretty sure that was Tim's point (if you read it right).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

touchy, touchy.. What about this one?

Nevada Class AAA Playoffs-Semifinal Game-Freakin" plate umpire calls home run hitter out and nullifies home run for high five of batter-runner by teammate before touching plate. What an effin moron. I looked up NIAA rules (regulations they call them) and went through my NFHS rule book and casebook and did not find any rule to warrant this one.

"Official Robbery: Umpire’s call ends SC’s season
By RYAN HOPE — Free Press Sports Writer
Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

LAS VEGAS — Spring Creek baseball coach Scott Gilligan could only hold back the tears so long. The final team huddle in left field is always a tough one.

The Spartans saw their season end Friday night with a 10-9 eight-inning loss to Virgin Valley in the 3A State Tournament. The loss was painful enough, but the way it happened made it all the more difficult to swallow.

Spring Creek defeated Truckee 4-1 earlier in the day to postpone elimination and had the opportunity to knock Virgin Valley — the team that defeated the Spartans in the 2008 state title game — out of the tournament as well.

The Spartans had their chances and got a big boost in the top of the eighth inning when senior Shane Irvin launched a three-run homer over the left-field fence to give Spring Creek a temporary 10-7 advantage.

The home plate umpire, however, called Irvin out at the plate because a teammate gave him a high five before he touched the base.

According to baseball and NIAA rules, the call was legit, but many questioned the need to make it at such a critical juncture of the game.

“I just don’t think you can call that at that point of the game,” Gilligan said. “That was a huge call. We still had chances after that (to win the game). Maybe we would have played a little differently defensively if we had that extra run.”
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I got all day. F1 couldn't throw a strike so I certainly am not looking for the poopy end of the stick.
Exactly. Good point,

Terrible that playoff officials don't know the rules any better than these officials did.

Thanks
David
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
BRD 95 FED: A runner awarded first is out if he is not on base before the time of the next pitch, he reaches his bench or dugout, or the infielders have left the diamond. (8.1.1b)
OBR (4.09 Penalty.)
However, if you read 8.1.1 Situation B, and the rule it cites, you'll see that the casebook play and rule actually refer to a dropped third strike. Regardless of of what CC wrote, there is, I believe, a big difference between an awarded base (a walk) and a D3K. I don't think 8.1.1B is applicable in the OP situation.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think Rule 2 sec 4 art. 4 sums it up.

The batter must go immediately to first base before time out can be called
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post

That certainly sums up when time can be called.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
That certainly sums up when time can be called.
So the 2nd baseman should start yelling time, so then he could invoke this rule? Geez, give it up... The citation is in the definition of a walk, and to conclude that the only time you must immediately go to first base is when someone wants time is lets say remarkable. In your interpretation he may sit down and have a sandwich and then call his mother if he likes and then if and only when he is ready he may go to first. What time parameters would you place on him?

I'm just telling you that without seeing the play, it sure sounds like he made no effort to go to the bag until he saw something amiss. For me this is to late, and like I stated earlier, he better not have much of a delay getting there.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 08:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So the 2nd baseman should start yelling time, so then he could invoke this rule? Geez, give it up... The citation is in the definition of a walk, and to conclude that the only time you must immediately go to first base is when someone wants time is lets say remarkable. In your interpretation he may sit down and have a sandwich and then call his mother if he likes and then if and only when he is ready he may go to first. What time parameters would you place on him?

I'm just telling you that without seeing the play, it sure sounds like he made no effort to go to the bag until he saw something amiss. For me this is to late, and like I stated earlier, he better not have much of a delay getting there.
The pitcher threw Ball 4. I got all day. There is no way that, absent leaving the field, I would ever call this. I would wait until the defense started complaining, tipped off the runners, and they went to the next base. Then the game would be over and we would leave.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I'm pretty sure that was Tim's point (if you read it right).
Ah, once again I
m ten minutes late to the party.

*facepalm*

I need sleep.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Skunk in the Infield

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Talked to my assignor today, he relayed what he heard on a FED sectional game, won by Dayton Fairmont over Cincy Elder, 1-0, when the Elder pitcher walked in the winning run,with 2 outs, bases loaded, to "end the game".

Seems the BR made it halfway to 1st, then stopped to celebrate with the team. F4 sees that, and goes over with the ball and touches 1st. Elder coach says run doesnt count- abandonment. One umpire had ruled out,BR finally touches 1st, the officials gather (supposedly look thru their rulebook, call state officials for opinions, finally rule safe, run counts.

Assignor says game was delayed 1 hr before final ruling.
Heres the Cincy article.

Elder loses 1-0 amid controversy | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com
Apparently, the actions of the second baseman were not influential in this decision. This is not an appeal play. It falls under umpire judgement. The runner did not retreat past the plate during his celebration. The protest was denied after it was determined that a runner can only abandon the basepath after touching first base. Huh?

Last edited by SAump; Tue May 26, 2009 at 08:37pm.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All you have done here is quote that TIME cannot be called before the awarded BR gets to 1st base. That was not the case here! As RichMSN stated, "I got all day!".

The mistake was that the BR assumed that the ball was dead - a mistake on his part. All the umpires have to do is wait in position until the BR either gets to his base or obviously abandons all attempt to get there (which is more than likely what is going to happen in a situation such as this).