The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

slightly off topic, but didn't think it was worth a new thread...

Do sites that sell umpire gear have noticeably better deals in the offseason or is it about the same year-round? First-year umpire here who will be getting promoted next baseball season, so was curious if there was a best time to upgrade.

I'll keep my eye out for deals on places like Ebay and such, but was curious about the basic Honig's, +POS, etc. sites. Thanks.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7 View Post
slightly off topic, but didn't think it was worth a new thread...

Do sites that sell umpire gear have noticeably better deals in the offseason or is it about the same year-round? First-year umpire here who will be getting promoted next baseball season, so was curious if there was a best time to upgrade.

I'll keep my eye out for deals on places like Ebay and such, but was curious about the basic Honig's, +POS, etc. sites. Thanks.
Honig's has always had 10% off in December as long as I can remember.

Hey, that rhymed!
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You must have constantly used honesty.
"Does this dress make me look fat?"

"No, but your *** does."

Always took it one clause too far.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

my job in life is to set you up for moments of triumph just like that one Matt.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Honig's has always had 10% off in December as long as I can remember.

Hey, that rhymed!
Even better--10% off gift certificates. Buy one and use it later on to save 10% on something else you want.

When they get new shoe models in the old ones will often get marked down. I picked some New Balance base shoes that way this spring.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Even better--10% off gift certificates. Buy one and use it later on to save 10% on something else you want.
I did that in December '04 (bought a jacket) and felt a tad guilty for some reason, like it was against the rules or something. I moved twice (once in '05, and again in '06) without ever wearing it. When I attempted to locate it after the most recent move, it was not to be found. I consider that karma.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
"Does this dress make me look fat?"

"No, but your *** does."

Always took it one clause too far.

Thatta boy
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:39am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Hmmmm....

I think Kevin provided the most pragmatic advice. (I'm married.)

JM

Let me guess...

"Honey thank you for the pants, they are great and will really help me look professional on the field. One small thing, could you re-do the cuffs?"

"Why do you hate the pants? "
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Let me guess...

"Honey thank you for the pants, they are great and will really help me look professional on the field. One small thing, could you re-do the cuffs?"

"Why do you hate the pants? "
Amen brother, amen.

My wife wouldn't dare buy anything for me clothing-wise when it comes to basketball or baseball officiating. She knows better.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That being said, honesty is the best policy. Just tell her the truth and that you cannot wear them with the cuffs. Also explain how impractical cuffs are as stated. I really do not see it as a big deal if you have the kind of communication in your marriage that is healthy.
I am with Jeff on this one. You should be able to tell your wife about this without hurting her feelings. It's a matter of looking professional on the ball field. Doing what Kevin suggested really IS a big hassle, plus it's kind of deceitful. You would be better off thanking your wife for being so thoughtful and willing to help, but in this case the cuffs have to go.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Oh just wear the pants, sounds like a trend setter...... It was an act of love you know!!!!!
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Hmmmm....

I would say Kevin is married.

Matt is not.

cardinalfan? I'm not sure. He may be newly married or else he just doesn't have a freakin' clue about how women think.

I don't have cuffs on my umpire slacks, though all my other "slacks" do.

I think Kevin provided the most pragmatic advice. (I'm married.)

JM
Wrong. Been happily married for 6 years. Been married for over 26 years! (disclaimer: statement made for humor purposes only, sorry dear!)

I just thought it sounded like something Dr. Phil would say. Was giving another option so he could pick one and give us some feedback.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Just tell her that the cuffs are a potential safety hazard.... And politely ask her (while protecting your face...preferably with your facemask on) to un-cuff the pants :-)
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I would take that a step further and just put on all of your gear, and then tell here that you just can't wear the cuffs. Then hope she can't hit harder than a fastball.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

31 years of Marriage - Pants getting rehemmed!

Being married for 31 years with the same woman allows me to believe she knows me pretty well. I would like to share with you all what she did is over and above what I would expect from her, or anyone, with the situation she is faced with and that is why I am making this little situation more that it appears to be. What is amazing is that she did all this: got in the car,drove thirty minutes to the store, (fortunately there is a supplier in town that provides Officiating Apparel), took them to a seamstress, packed and wrapped the pants, then went and bought an ice cream birthday cake. What's the big deal you may ask? She did all this right after her third round of Chemo, feeling weak and nauseated. Then last night she even dropped off my equipment bag at the ball park, since I was a last minute fill in for an ump who cancelled due to work. Then she mentions to me that I may not want to wear those new ump pants since she noticed that the other umps did not have cuffs. How sensitive is that!? Now today she is taking them back to have them rehemmed. I have learned as well, never to underestimate my wife and her strength, courage, sensitivity and thoughtfulness. She has this gift of grace.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but as you can see I did not have to use them. But I agree, Honesty is key, and I believe that is one of the keys that has kept our marriage strong for all these years. God has really blessed me with her and He has revealed to me an even deeper understanding of her love and grace all because of a pair of Umpire Pants.