View Single Post
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

31 years of Marriage - Pants getting rehemmed!

Being married for 31 years with the same woman allows me to believe she knows me pretty well. I would like to share with you all what she did is over and above what I would expect from her, or anyone, with the situation she is faced with and that is why I am making this little situation more that it appears to be. What is amazing is that she did all this: got in the car,drove thirty minutes to the store, (fortunately there is a supplier in town that provides Officiating Apparel), took them to a seamstress, packed and wrapped the pants, then went and bought an ice cream birthday cake. What's the big deal you may ask? She did all this right after her third round of Chemo, feeling weak and nauseated. Then last night she even dropped off my equipment bag at the ball park, since I was a last minute fill in for an ump who cancelled due to work. Then she mentions to me that I may not want to wear those new ump pants since she noticed that the other umps did not have cuffs. How sensitive is that!? Now today she is taking them back to have them rehemmed. I have learned as well, never to underestimate my wife and her strength, courage, sensitivity and thoughtfulness. She has this gift of grace.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but as you can see I did not have to use them. But I agree, Honesty is key, and I believe that is one of the keys that has kept our marriage strong for all these years. God has really blessed me with her and He has revealed to me an even deeper understanding of her love and grace all because of a pair of Umpire Pants.