The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Pants with Leg Cuffs

For my Birthday my lovely wife bought me a nice pair of charcoal ump pants. She hemmed them with a cuff and they look really sharp. Advice needed from you all. 1. Concern about the cuffs becoming an issue doing plate work or on the field. They do catch alot of dirt but could become a safety issue?
2. Dont want to upset her since she took it upon herself to do this for me. She would be understanding since she would not be aware of any issues with a cuff or no cuff leg while umpiring. She just thougth it looked sharper. Is this a big issue or not. Suggestions please! Thanks in advance1
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
For my Birthday my lovely wife bought me a nice pair of charcoal ump pants. She hemmed them with a cuff and they look really sharp. Advice needed from you all. 1. Concern about the cuffs becoming an issue doing plate work or on the field. They do catch alot of dirt but could become a safety issue?
2. Dont want to upset her since she took it upon herself to do this for me. She would be understanding since she would not be aware of any issues with a cuff or no cuff leg while umpiring. She just thougth it looked sharper. Is this a big issue or not. Suggestions please! Thanks in advance1
Do cuffs look good with athletic shoes? No.

Could they be a safety issue? I'd say there's a slim chance you'd catch your shoe in one if you have cleats or studs.

If she would be understanding, I see no reason not to change them to the norm.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires do not wear cuffs....Tell your wife that you think the pants look great however, in general, umpire do not wear cuffed slacks and that if an evaluator sees me wearing them I will probually get "dinged" on an eval.

There are alot of things that you cannot "control" in regards to your umpire career and/or hobby. How you look on the field is something you can control!! Good luck.

Last edited by Chris_Hickman; Tue May 19, 2009 at 04:53pm.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Very thoughtful Mrs. JPaco but it's not appropriate for umpiring.

-Josh
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 05:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

very nice, very thoughtful, probably want to go without the cuffs though.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 05:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post

How did you not know she was going to put cuffs on them? Didn't you have to stand on a chair wearing the slacks and your umpiring shoes while she measured the length of the slacks? My wife does and hasn't your wife ever seen your older umpiring slacks?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 05:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

she probably wanted to surprise him...maybe she measured a pair of his old slacks...

who's knows...what's done is done...let's take it easy on the guy's wife
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

This is very basic: You buy another pair of slacks with money she doesn't know about, have them shipped to an address (office, friend's house) where she'll never see them delivered. Then, have a seamstress that she doesn't know hem them without the cuffs.

You bring your wife's pants along to every game and act as if you're wearing them, while you wear the others, which you're leaving at the cleaners after each game and picking up before each subsequent game. Put the unused pants in a plastic laundry bag along with your perspiration-soaked shirts and undergarments, and by the time you get home, they'll seem used.

It sounds like a hassle and a lot of extra cleaning bills and wasted gas, but it's worth it, believe me.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This is very basic: You buy another pair of slacks with money she doesn't know about, have them shipped to an address (office, friend's house) where she'll never see them delivered. Then, have a seamstress that she doesn't know hem them without the cuffs.

You bring your wife's pants along to every game and act as if you're wearing them, while you wear the others, which you're leaving at the cleaners after each game and picking up before each subsequent game. Put the unused pants in a plastic laundry bag along with your perspiration-soaked shirts and undergarments, and by the time you get home, they'll seem used.

It sounds like a hassle and a lot of extra cleaning bills and wasted gas, but it's worth it, believe me.
No pun intended with the title of this thread but sounds like Mrs Finnerty wears the pants in this relationship.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
during the "live game style" clinic i ran 2 weeks ago for our newer guys, one of the older guys showed up to help out in his brand spankin new cuffed plate pants. i immediately fined him $2, $1 for each cuff. that fine was immediately increased by another board member (that is a close friend of the guy in the cuffs) to $10 per cuff. 'nuff said.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Be honest.
Tell your wife how much you like the pants, and nice they look and feel. Make sure she knows how much you appreciate her thoughtfulness.

Then tell her nobody has cuffs on their umpiring pants because they might get caught in the heel of the shoe, and also because the cuffs would fill up with dirt. Maybe she can notice a MLB game on tv and see how their pants appear.

Ask her if she can take the cuffs out... and play it by ear. I'm gonna say if she took the time to order the pants and hem them, she wants them to look correctly.
(If this doesn't work, you can always fall back on KF's plan!)
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Hmmmm....

I would say Kevin is married.

Matt is not.

cardinalfan? I'm not sure. He may be newly married or else he just doesn't have a freakin' clue about how women think.

I don't have cuffs on my umpire slacks, though all my other "slacks" do.

I think Kevin provided the most pragmatic advice. (I'm married.)

JM
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Hmmmm....

I would say Kevin is married.

Matt is not.

cardinalfan? I'm not sure. He may be newly married or else he just doesn't have a freakin' clue about how women think.

I don't have cuffs on my umpire slacks, though all my other "slacks" do.

I think Kevin provided the most pragmatic advice. (I'm married.)

JM
Well I am not married but almost all my friends are. And I can tell you that all men do not have the same problems or communication style with their wives. I do not think you can tell that some are married or not by this conversation.

That being said, honesty is the best policy. Just tell her the truth and that you cannot wear them with the cuffs. Also explain how impractical cuffs are as stated. I really do not see it as a big deal if you have the kind of communication in your marriage that is healthy.

Peace
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Matt is not.
Sorry.

Currently on marriage #3.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

You must have constantly used honesty.