The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Line up mess in Tampa Bay

Today, the Rays submitted their lineup with Longoria and Zobrist both listed as the 3rd baseman and no one as DH . I guess Longoria was supposed to be the DH but the manager screwed up. The plate ump (Ted Barrett) did not notice it so the game started this way. Indians manager Eric Wedge brought the discrepancy to the umpire's attention. What followed was a long delay in which the umps were trying to figure out what to do. One of the umpires went inside, I'm not sure what for and when he came back they made their decision. No DH for the game so the pitcher was inserted into the 3 spot. Zobrist was at third and Longoria wasn't playing although the announcer said Longoria could come in later. All of this was occured before starting the bottom of the 1st.

Lesson for all of us. Check the line ups carefully.

Was this the correct ruling? I would have had no idea.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

It should never have come to this. The PU didn't check the line up cards at the exchange or else he would have caught it.

That being said rules 6.01 and 6.10 conflict on what should be done in this circumstance. 6.01 makes it seem as though Longoria should bat as the DH while 6.10 makes it seem as though the pitcher must hit.

I personally would have ruled the same way the umpires did, that the Pitcher must bad in the lineup where Longoria was listed, which was fourth in the lineup. Rays screwed up so the default should be the choice that puts them at a disadvantage in my opinion.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
It should never have come to this. The PU didn't check the line up cards at the exchange or else he would have caught it.

That being said rules 6.01 and 6.10 conflict on what should be done in this circumstance. 6.01 makes it seem as though Longoria should bat as the DH while 6.10 makes it seem as though the pitcher must hit.

I personally would have ruled the same way the umpires did, that the Pitcher must bad in the lineup where Longoria was listed, which was fourth in the lineup. Rays screwed up so the default should be the choice that puts them at a disadvantage in my opinion.
Longoria was listed third in the line up I believe which is where the pitcher ended hitting.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, he was listed batting 3rd in the order. Good video with explanation of the MLB interpertation and closeup shot of the Ray's lineup card. The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I need the OBR experts help on this one. Reading the article, it says that Longoria was taken off the lineup but was allowed to enter the game as a pinch hitter later. I dont think that Longoria should have been allowed to enter the game at all. He was listed on the original lineup. All the Rays took the field @ the top of the 1st.... except Longoria. The starting pitcher took the mound. Shouldnt that pitcher be the unannounced substitute when he takes his position on the mound and that should replace Longoria in the line-up? I might be missin' something here.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 12:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

then my question would be which third baseman gets to play...did Madden get to decide that?
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

The other 3rd baseman already took his position @ 3rd....
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 01:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

oh okay...thanks. so he's now the player at that position...got it.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Chris,

Neither the OBR or the PBUC manual cover this type of lineup error. Rule 6.10 (b) says that the DH must be named in the starting lineup prior to the game. In this case, since Longoria was listed as the 5 position, this was not done. Therefore, the role of the DH is eliminated and the pitcher must bat in that spot. Had Wedge brought this to Barrett's attention before the game had started, it's possible Maddon could have left Longoria in and removed Zobrist. However, since Zobrist took the field, he had to be left at Third.

As to whether Longoria should have been eligible to play later in the game, since this is not specifically covered (as far as I can tell), they probably went with 9.01 (c). They probably felt that they should have caught this error in the first place and didn't see it fit to remove him from the game.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

What if Wedge would have brought it up after the Rays had batted, especially if both F5s had batted? Now we have substitution issues and a bigger ball of snot.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
What if Wedge would have brought it up after the Rays had batted, especially if both F5s had batted? Now we have substitution issues and a bigger ball of snot.
Longoria would have been considered an unannounced sub (Pinch hitter) should he had come to the plate. At that point we end up with a new F1 & someone (likely either Longoria or Zobrist) would be done for the day.

As others have stated, best to check the lineups carefully before the game. It's something the MLB guys don't really expect.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Yes, he was listed batting 3rd in the order. Good video with explanation of the MLB interpertation and closeup shot of the Ray's lineup card. The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage

that's not a shot of their lineup card, that's a shot of the lineup and depth chart that is posted in the dugout. i'm not bringing it up to be a PITA, i'm bringing it up because it is correct as it is written with the DH listed in the 3 spot.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Lineup mess was mishandled in TB.

Longoria should have sat after snafu | MLB.com: News

Mike Port, MLB umpiring vice president ruled on this one today.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

More specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersUmp View Post
Longoria should have sat after snafu | MLB.com: News

Mike Port, MLB umpiring vice president ruled on this one today.
Why?

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 29, 2009 at 06:30pm.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 10:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Maybe since he was already in the game, albeit illegally.