The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Just the factors

Would that make Longoria or Sorrenstine the improper substitute?
If Longoria is the pitcher of record, you cannot sub for him until he faces one batter. If this were the case, the visiting team lost the advantage in the top half of the inning. Blunder?

Batting "out of order" caught prior to incident and reported by the opposing team? The lineup card was wrong prior to the game. The determination was made not to allow a DH while the team was at bat. So the pitcher must have been missing from the offensive lineup. He was added to the lineup. The lineup was corrected. The game went on.

An illegal player? Longoria never stepped on the field of play as the pitcher, F5 or DH. Now had Longoria entered the batter's box in the 3 slot, would he not have become the pitcher of record {unless his manager called for a double switch}?

Quote:
OBR 3.05(c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out.
Rule 3.05(c) Comment: If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05 (c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire-in-chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.
Again, why the player disqualification over a lineup error?

Last edited by SAump; Thu May 28, 2009 at 11:51pm.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 07:58am
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm not sure...my guess would be because he was listed as a starter on the lineup card...I think there were two third basemen listed at the time that the lineups became official...while improper, maybe since he was listed as a starter, he's done.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Time derivative

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I'm not sure...my guess would be because he was listed as a starter on the lineup card...I think there were two third basemen listed at the time that the lineups became official...while improper, maybe since he was listed as a starter, he's done.
The proper pitcher and the proper third baseman were not substitutes. These two players were already in the game and their positions in the lineup were established after the first pitch. A substitution for Mr Longoria never took place.
Quote:
A substitute player shall bat in the replaced player’s position in the team’s batting order.

A player whose name is on his team’s batting order may not become a substitute runner for another member of his team.
Why was Mr. Longoria's entry into the ballgame as DH denied? It was determined that the DH had not been reported at the appropriate time. The pitcher was required to bat in the P/DH position. The DH position had been effectively eliminated by the opposing coach. The DH was not allowed to serve in the role of P/DH.

That by itself was the only penalty that can be completely justified by rule. The DH was not terminated because, by rule 6.10, it did not exist at game time. I would like to ask the scorekeepers a question. If Mr. Longoria were about to break the record for consecutive MLB games "played" as a DH, would this game count?

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 29, 2009 at 09:04pm.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:39pm
Stop staring at me swan.

it woudn't have counted for Ripken...my understanding was that he had to play a certain amount of time to get credit for the game...so no, the record would've stopped there. (I don't remember what inning they discovered this error)...but as you said, great question for the scorekeeper...i have no idea.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Message in a bottle

Mixup forces Rays to bat Sonnanstine | raysbaseball.com: News

No mention of snafu in previous press release.

Hijinks extend beyond lineup gaffe | MLB.com: News

BTW, the umpire crew faced several close calls that night.
The snafu wasn't one of them.

Who brought up the snafu and why?

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 30, 2009 at 11:15pm.