The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Batter running on dropped third strike

So guys I have a question for you, how many years has it been since it has been legal for a batter to run to first on a missed third strike call? Or was it ever legal at anytime for the 12 and under age groups.I have been trying to remember back to my LL years (over 33 years ago ) if we were able to run on a dropped third stike and I can not recall being able to do so.
I had went to watch my son play a Cal Ripken game the other night and they did not have a base umpire. I was asked by both coaches if I would volunteer.I said yes and that's where it all went down hill. I found out after the game they got the home plate umpire to come from the bar to do the game.
The coach for the opposing team first arguing that it was perfectly legal to run on a dropped third strike ,then when they would not believe me that it was aganist the rules the coach pulls out his rule book and says "See right here it says so." He was showing me the full OBR rule on running on dropped third strike. I agree and tell him,"That is correct coach but if you'll look here it also says that the batter can not run if first base is occupied with less then two outs." He wanted to argue that also by saying his runner was stealing second so first was not occupied even though his runner couldn't leave the base till the ball reached the batter. I am almost ready to say I wish it was Fed season again but Legion ball is coming with maybe a small return to sanity.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue
So guys I have a question for you, how many years has it been since it has been legal for a batter to run to first on a missed third strike call? Or was it ever legal at anytime for the 12 and under age groups.I have been trying to remember back to my LL years (over 33 years ago ) if we were able to run on a dropped third stike and I can not recall being able to do so.
I had went to watch my son play a Cal Ripken game the other night and they did not have a base umpire. I was asked by both coaches if I would volunteer.I said yes and that's where it all went down hill. I found out after the game they got the home plate umpire to come from the bar to do the game.
The coach for the opposing team first arguing that it was perfectly legal to run on a dropped third strike ,then when they would not believe me that it was aganist the rules the coach pulls out his rule book and says "See right here it says so." He was showing me the full OBR rule on running on dropped third strike. I agree and tell him,"That is correct coach but if you'll look here it also says that the batter can not run if first base is occupied with less then two outs." He wanted to argue that also by saying his runner was stealing second so first was not occupied even though his runner couldn't leave the base till the ball reached the batter. I am almost ready to say I wish it was Fed season again but Legion ball is coming with maybe a small return to sanity.
First, it's always considerate if the coaches tell the volunteer umpire which rule set and modifications you're playing under.

Second, since there was R1 and less than 2 it's a mute point since no rule set allows that.

Third, Why did you allow the rule book on the field?
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Guess you learned a lesson on those 'last second, pleeeeeese, its for the kids' requests.

Dunno about CR, but IIRC LL (juniors, anyway) does not allow running to 1B on a D3K. Too much potential for chaos, no doubt.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 12:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Guess you learned a lesson on those 'last second, pleeeeeese, its for the kids' requests.

Dunno about CR, but IIRC LL (juniors, anyway) does not allow running to 1B on a D3K. Too much potential for chaos, no doubt.
Wrong-o. Juniors in LL is 13-14 year olds and they play on a 90' diamond. They can run on an uncaught third strike.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

No good deed goes unpunished!!!! I knew what rule set we were working under,I just wish the coaches and the PU had known! About the rule book........ well in this game,before the running on dropped third srtike I had also had to call obstruction on a play where R1 going from first was backed into by F6 while he was standing on second when R1 was going to third. The PU called R! out at third on a very close play I then called time and announced the delayed dead ball protection of the runner to third. PU looked at me like I was from MARS and Home coach was near questioning my heritage.
When the dropped third strike issue started I was in B position and I was not going NEAR the discussion between both coaches and the PU unless forced. They had the rule book out and were looking at it when the PU waved me in and asked what the correct ruling should be.
After everything was all over he said that there were just to many rules anymore. LOL
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I started umping LL in 1956, and Majors down were NOT allowed to run on a third strike not caught.

Bob
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob! I thought it had always been that way but was questioning my murky childhood memories.(to much time hanging out with a brother from the 60's era I guess. )
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No good deed goes unpunished!!!! I knew what rule set we were working under,I just wish the coaches and the PU had known! About the rule book........ well in this game,before the running on dropped third srtike I had also had to call obstruction on a play where R1 going from first was backed into by F6 while he was standing on second when R1 was going to third. The PU called R! out at third on a very close play I then called time and announced the delayed dead ball protection of the runner to third. PU looked at me like I was from MARS and Home coach was near questioning my heritage.
When the dropped third strike issue started I was in B position and I was not going NEAR the discussion between both coaches and the PU unless forced. They had the rule book out and were looking at it when the PU waved me in and asked what the correct ruling should be.
After everything was all over he said that there were just to many rules anymore. LOL
PA,
Tough situation to be in, I commend you for volunteering. You probably had other issues to deal with as well like a grandson or such on one of the teams and the politics of having to deal with that and umpire.

I know your question had nothing to do with the rule book on the field but I was just curious as to how it got there and if and why it was allowed to stay.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Wrong-o. Juniors in LL is 13-14 year olds and they play on a 90' diamond. They can run on an uncaught third strike.
I sit corrected, thanks.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

In Cal Ripken playing on a 60' diamond, you cannot run on a D3K. I believe that in this year's new 70' diamond rules, you can run on a D3K, but I'm not 100% positive on that.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So guys I have a question for you, how many years has it been since it has been legal for a batter to run to first on a missed third strike call?
Do you mean the umpire missed it?

Back in the day, of course, you could run on any third strike... only the past 70 years or so was the batter declared out on a third strike legally caught (the instant after he became a runner).