The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 04:56pm

My only point was that if you have umpired for any length of time, an ejection of a coach would be inevitable and unavoidable. This leads me to believe that Kevin has not worked as many games as I previously thought. And for the record, I usually agree with what he says, as I think in most cases he is right. But, I still stand by my comment that never having ejected a coach is most certainly not something to boast about, or be particularly proud of. If you are a new official, then I can understand that statement, but not from a veteran of many a season. Either the coaches in Kevin's area are all gentlemen and scholars, with never a harsh word uttered, or someone's not takin' care of bidness. It has to be one of the two.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
...Either the coaches in Kevin's area are all gentlemen and scholars, with never a harsh word uttered...
Probably the former, which would explain this utopian world in which he umpires. Where IS this place? I'm booking the next flight out!
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
"So many"? Who knew that a mere two (and both coaches this year just happened to be coaches who were very frustrated with their teams' performances, each coming off lengthy losing streaks*) in the last 4+ years would be "a lot"? I see mathematics wasn't your strong suit either.
Quote:
Indeed it was, and I've never had problems with it. I average about 5 ejections per year out of some 150+ games. Last year I had 3 for the whole year, spring college and summer college combined. This year I had 3 for my spring. None of them were my fault.
Please make up your mind how many ejections you are making.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Quote:
"My only point was that if you have umpired for any length of time, an ejection of a coach would be inevitable and unavoidable."
Let's step back and look at Kevin in a slightly different light:

As I have posted over the years in my first 3,000 games I have 314 ejections.

No one can say that is too few or too many . . . you had to be there.

In my last 1,000 games I had fewer than 10.

Let's look at me as an example:

Over the last 6 season I have had two ejections (the same assistant coach twice).

Other than that I have maybe had ONE COACH perseason even come out to argue (the say talk) with me.

Am I that much better of an umpire.

Heck NO!

As my friend Mark puts it: "Tim you can get away with stuff just because who you are . . . all the coaches know you and recognize that to come out to talk to you will not get them anywhere AND they respect you because your OLD!"

Maybe Kevin has work A LOT of games (not a few) and maybe he is the kind of guy that coaches recognize because they have seen him often.

Don't just toss him out (pun intended) because he has little action in on field arguments.

Kevin could just be good, respected and known as a guy you don't go after.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Please make up your mind how many ejections you are making.
My original statements are correct. I've had two head coaches in 4+ years. The other ejections were players.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

As I am probably considered, Tee.

Earlier in my career, I probably averaged 12-15 ejections per year. As time went by and my career got longer, as I advanced through the various levels of umpiring, the number of ejections I would have each season slowly declined, yet the number of games I had remained fairly consistent--usually 150 or so each year.

I am capable enough of knowing that when I step onto a field, the players and coaches don't fear me; they respect me. Respect, of course, must be earned--it's not deserved--and I believe that I have, indeed, earned this respect for several reasons.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Similarly, my ejection rate has fallen over the years. Early on, I was taught to establish myself as one who will not take any crap. It was rough going, but as the years went on, I was approached by my peers who stated that I had "calmed down" when in reality, it was the coaches who learned that if they didn't irritate me, they could stay in the game.

Some of you say that it is a great feeling when you can walk off a field and not be remembered. I prefer to walk onto the field and have older coaches tell the younger assistants "If you screw with this guy, you are on your own!".

Was I a red-a$$? In my day, yes I was. I did what I had to do, that was the way the system worked then so I adapted to it.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
B) In Los Angeles, if you eject the coach, the game is over---so try not to apply your standards to everyone's work. They may not apply. I refuse to deny everyone the opportunity to see a ballgame because of a single jerk.
You just don't get it. That isn't your problem. If the guy deserves to be ejected then eject him. Just because the league you are working in wants to end the game after an ejection or issue mandatory fines or suspensions it should not change how you do things.

Tee is trying to see your side of it; possibly you don't have situations arise which require ejections very often. Obviously that is not the case as you admit to having the mindset that ejections are bad.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I've always maintained that ejections are neither good nor bad. They just are.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Different parts of the country have different ejection rates, too. I don't know why. I'm not that smart.
I have a buddy who was a partner for several years. We did high school and college baseball, and he got me into college fastpitch for a few years. We had our share of ejections over the years, but nothing out of the ordinary.

He got a job transfer last year and moved about 7 hours away. Told me on the phone a few nights ago that he's been averaging about one per week where he is now. He said coaches want to argue everything and aren't content until they are shown the door.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

He must have a huge ego then.

Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He must have a huge ego then.

20+ yr vet who doesn't run coaches unless they need it. He didn't seem to be losing any sleep over it.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
Different parts of the country have different ejection rates, too. I don't know why. I'm not that smart.
I have a buddy who was a partner for several years. We did high school and college baseball, and he got me into college fastpitch for a few years. We had our share of ejections over the years, but nothing out of the ordinary.

He got a job transfer last year and moved about 7 hours away. Told me on the phone a few nights ago that he's been averaging about one per week where he is now. He said coaches want to argue everything and aren't content until they are shown the door.
This makes sense. I see some of your ejection rates and am mystified, to be honest. I can count my ejections on one hand over a 12 year period. I don't personally think I get "run all over," it just seems to be a calmer brand of baseball where I'm at. Then again, I don't work near the amount of games some do either. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 times where I could have pulled the trigger and didn't.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 11:32pm

Quote:
Let's step back and look at Kevin in a slightly different light:

As I have posted over the years in my first 3,000 games I have 314 ejections.

No one can say that is too few or too many . . . you had to be there.

In my last 1,000 games I had fewer than 10.

Let's look at me as an example:

Over the last 6 season I have had two ejections (the same assistant coach twice).

Other than that I have maybe had ONE COACH perseason even come out to argue (the say talk) with me.

Am I that much better of an umpire.

Heck NO!

As my friend Mark puts it: "Tim you can get away with stuff just because who you are . . . all the coaches know you and recognize that to come out to talk to you will not get them anywhere AND they respect you because your OLD!"

Maybe Kevin has work A LOT of games (not a few) and maybe he is the kind of guy that coaches recognize because they have seen him often.

Don't just toss him out (pun intended) because he has little action in on field arguments.

So, you, in an attempt to sound fair, state that you have a total of 314+ ejections total, and you don't find it just a bit odd that an experienced, seasoned veteran umpire wouldn't have one single coach ejection?

A lot of coaches recognize and respect me, and are happy as clams to see me coming, yet find a way to get ejected now and then. To not have any ejections at all is just a bit odd, and to use it as a selling point of one's skills is disingenous.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doubtful. He has never given anyone a reason not to go after him. Never.

I have yet to meet an umpire with upper levek experience who could or would boast of never ejecting a skipper or an assistant.

Most likely KF is a youth ball umpire with a good library.