Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=DG;601083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1 View Post
3BLX seems a better position for runner coming home with throw from the left side of the field. 1BLX behind a runner who just scored and is in the umpire's way is not a good spot.
1. Dave attempted to move to his right but was blocked by the on deck batter and pushed back to his left.

2. It was the on deck batter who was in the way, not the runner who scored. Watch again.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

14 just scored. He was the one in the way. I saw no attempt to move to right. He came from the left of scene and appeared to be trying to move the runner who scored out of the way to his left. It was a bad position for the call, which was the original question. I don't know who #4 was, maybe on deck batter, but he was right side of scene and out of site for the play at the plate.

Last edited by DG; Sun May 10, 2009 at 09:51pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=DG;6010833BLX seems a better position for runner coming home with throw from the left side of the field. 1BLX behind a runner who just scored and is in the umpire's way is not a good spot.[/QUOTE]

Since the catcher didn't move, Dave read this as a "block" type play (rather than a "swipe tag" type play). 1BLX is proper for the block.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

The point of the plate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since the catcher didn't move, Dave read this as a "block" type play (rather than a "swipe tag" type play). 1BLX is proper for the block.
After watching very few big league games over the past few years and working as a fill-in in the PCL and talking to friends that are going up and down I have decided that while MLB has no officially changed the way umpires take plays at the plate, the umpires on the field have.

It seems to me that the start at 3BLX and adjust their angle from there on both swipes and blocks. I have tried this this year and I love it. I usually end up some where between the middle of 3BLX and the 1BL all the way up to in fair territory. It is amazing the looks you can get on both plays, and I have also noticed I have yet to run into a member of the offense there.

If you google clips of plays at the plate or look a pics of MLB umpires, do a photo news search of umpire, you will see just about every play of both types taken from the area that I am talking about. I hope that someone comes out with this mechanic in writing so that it can help people get the best look possible based on thourough analysis.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Is the catcher blocking the plate without the ball?
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons View Post
Is the catcher blocking the plate without the ball?
Yes and no! He is blocking without the ball, but the ball gets to him before the runner makes contact with his leg. It is a baseball play.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Check these out, almost same type of play:

San Diego Padres' catcher Nick Hundley, center, cannot tag out ... - Yahoo! News Photos

Home plate umpire Angel Campos, left, looks on as Texas Rangers ... - Yahoo! News Photos
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Any rule dictating where the on-deck batter can or cannot be during the play?
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Was Dave in PERFECT position for that particular play? Maybe not. Did he get in proper position for what he had? Absolutely. Knowing Dave he will be the hardest on hisself after reviewing the play. He is an outstanding umpire and misses very few. We all miss a few during the course of a season and few have the benefit of multiple angle replays to review. Great job Dave!!!
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Let's try to reconstruct this as a lesson is '$*&% happens' so be prepared.

1. #14 scores easily. Turns and picks up the bat. Looks up and see runner & throw approaching plate.

2. PU is close to point of plate. Observes #14 score & on-deck hitter go to expected place (3BLE) to guide approaching runner.

3. PU reads play & starts moving to 1BLE. Does not anticipate previous runner that had cleared the bat t5o step back toward plate to signal approaching runner.

4. PU tangles with previous runner and is unable to reach desired position & is distracted. Likely partially blocked from play. Misses what should have been a fairly easy call.

What can we learn from this, orher than expect the unexpected?

My take: PU (Dave Y.) was too determined to reach a specific spot 1bLE that he lost his window of opportunity to adjust to the changing situation.

Let's have your thoughts as a group please.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
Let's try to reconstruct this as a lesson is '$*&% happens' so be prepared.

1. #14 scores easily. Turns and picks up the bat. Looks up and see runner & throw approaching plate.

2. PU is close to point of plate. Observes #14 score & on-deck hitter go to expected place (3BLE) to guide approaching runner.

3. PU reads play & starts moving to 1BLE. Does not anticipate previous runner that had cleared the bat t5o step back toward plate to signal approaching runner.

4. PU tangles with previous runner and is unable to reach desired position & is distracted. Likely partially blocked from play. Misses what should have been a fairly easy call.

What can we learn from this, orher than expect the unexpected?

My take: PU (Dave Y.) was too determined to reach a specific spot 1bLE that he lost his window of opportunity to adjust to the changing situation.

Let's have your thoughts as a group please.

I see what you are saying, but this was not a fairly easy call from any position. You have the runner sliding through F2's legs (always tough to see in real time), you have F2 making the catch but not applying the tag until late, (very hard to see from either 1BLE or 3BLE).

He was in the best position for a block type of play, just so happened that a player got in his way, probably at the very last second.

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Actually he was passed 3BLE, and I would agree it was entirly due to the players actions. The best place to be if you were setting this up as a traditional block play and you are reading this guy sliding wide, Dave didn't get to make that read due to the player, would have been a step or two short of 3BLE, the reason is the box theory. If you are #BLE or past on this slide, you have the players body between you and the plate when he tagged it. That is why I have started using the mechanic that you see many of the big league guys using that puts you 1BLE all the way into fair territory. I think by working here you will almost always be able to slide and find your window.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Was Dave in PERFECT position for that particular play? Maybe not. Did he get in proper position for what he had? Absolutely. Knowing Dave he will be the hardest on hisself after reviewing the play. He is an outstanding umpire and misses very few. We all miss a few during the course of a season and few have the benefit of multiple angle replays to review. Great job Dave!!!
I would agree....(let he with no sin cast the first stone) The object of seeing plays like this is to learn from them. If you are already perfect, then good for you. If you choose to continue to get better then ponder and learn. Dave would want nothing less.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

My call

For the umpires on this site that would like my take on the positioning question and what my take aways were for this situation, you can email me. I think most of you have my email address and would happy to share my perspective. I hope you all understand why I am not comfortable posting anything in a forum like this. I would be more than happy to share what I have learned and hope it would help you.

Dave
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, you do actually return emails?....funny you've igonred what five, six emails as well as two calls about returning my deposit from your clinic last October.
Closed Thread