The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Interference by R1 into 2nd on double play

Had a JC game today that was for Conference Championship. Had 3 very hard slides into 2nd base on double play attempts that were legit. Just good hard baseball. Had defensive HC come out on each one and as for interference. Explained the rule each time. No real argument until the end. He asked me to go to the PU for help. I told him that the PU would have made the call without help IF he saw interference. He was not happy with my explanation. Anyone else seen this this year?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Ever since the NCAA rule has changed, there has been some misunderstanding by college coaches what the rule is. I have not had anything major in the last couple of years, but this is a misunderstood rule.

Peace
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Had a JC game today that was for Conference Championship. Had 3 very hard slides into 2nd base on double play attempts that were legit. Just good hard baseball. Had defensive HC come out on each one and as for interference. Explained the rule each time. No real argument until the end. He asked me to go to the PU for help. I told him that the PU would have made the call without help IF he saw interference. He was not happy with my explanation. Anyone else seen this this year?
FWIW the FPSR should be re-written.

It's virtually impossible when sliding not to slide through a particular bag and make contact with a fielder which ultimately can be construed as altering the play.

Think about it for a minute. The object of R1 is to break up a DP which means Alter the play. That's what R1's job is supposed to be.

The FED did not want runners doing what the PROS do meaning take a direct "B" line for the fielder and Upend the fielder. The runner was ok as long as they could reach the base with their hand.

Therefore, IMO the rule should simply say as long as a runner slides directly to the bag or away from the bag to avoid a fielder making a play, the runner is ok unless said runner raises spikes, takes a rolling cross body block at the fielder etc. No mention of making contact, alter the play etc. because R1 is supposed to alter the play.

IMO, that would make more sense and avoid the confusion. You cannot take all contact out of baseball or it becomes a joke of a sport.

However, we have to deal with what the rules says and as an umpire association try and rule consistently from game to game which in dealing with the FPSR can become difficult.

Pete Booth
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Its a safety rule at both Fed and NCAA, they do not want the contact. This is why they approve contact only under the certain circumstances. The days of breaking up the double play are basically over in these two rule bases. Except of course for the "legal slide"..
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

JC, assuming Jr. College, use the NCAA FPSL here in NE. Sliding through or pass the bag and making contact is legal provided that the foot isn't at knee height or above. A slide that is off to the side of the bag is illegal if there is contact and/or alters the play.

I believe that this is a fair rule and does eliminate injuries. Let the pros, who get paid well, deal with protecting themselves. In college and below, the FPSR is needed to protect the infielder from unnecessary injuries.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

Therefore, IMO the rule should simply say as long as a runner slides directly to the bag or away from the bag to avoid a fielder making a play, the runner is ok unless said runner raises spikes, takes a rolling cross body block at the fielder etc. No mention of making contact, alter the play etc. because R1 is supposed to alter the play.
The rule already says that. If the slide is legal, so is contact and/or altering the play.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:11am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think the rule is a good one, consistent interpretation is the tough part...which maybe is always the case