The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction, Interference, Double Play????

I know this is pretty much a judgement call and you have to be there but, there's a twist on this one that doesn't seem right. 13 yr old game, HS rules, runner @ 2B, no outs, ball is hit between F5 and F6, the ball seems to get past F5 and F6 ends up making the play, throws it to F3, but batter/runner is safe, the throw is late, however during all of this the runner from 2B runs into F5. The runner recovers and gets to 3B. So there are runners at 1st and 3rd, then the umpire calls the runner out for interference. The coach asks the umpire what he saw, and the official says we agree(meaning the other umpire) on the call get back to the dugout. The coach says what did you see, the umpire throws him out of the game. Then he proceeds to call the runner at 1B out that he called safe before, for the 2nd out of the inning saying that he would have gotten him out if it wasn't for the collision. Now is that even possible? Can you get a DP from that play? Some insight here, thanks in advance.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if I get the picture. The ball is by F5, F6 fields it and throws to 1B, and sometime during the throw R2 runs into F5. If that is what we have I don't see interference, but possibly see obstruction on F5. F6 was not interfered with and the ball was by F5 when F6 fielded it, and the contact came during F6's throw. I would have to see it to know whether it was obstruction, but it don't sound like interference. On the obstruction, if it was, award 3B to R2. Runner on 1B and 3B, no outs.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I may have not put it in as correct as possible but it all happened pretty bang bang. IMHO F5 had no shot at making this play, F6 was in close proximity but behind F5 and the BR collided w/ F5 while F6 made the play but the throw was late. The official contended that F5 had a shot at the play evidently, but F5 even told the parents of this team(he used to play for them) he had no shot at making that play. I know it's a judgement call, and as bad as I think it was my main question is whether he could call the runner at 1B out too. I just never have seen this happen.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSooner
I may have not put it in as correct as possible but it all happened pretty bang bang. IMHO F5 had no shot at making this play, F6 was in close proximity but behind F5 and the BR collided w/ F5 while F6 made the play but the throw was late. The official contended that F5 had a shot at the play evidently, but F5 even told the parents of this team(he used to play for them) he had no shot at making that play. I know it's a judgement call, and as bad as I think it was my main question is whether he could call the runner at 1B out too. I just never have seen this happen.
It's really hard to say without seeing the play what the call should have been. I will say that since you mentioned that it was a bang-bang situation, the umpire could have very likely afforded protection to F5. The only way you can get the double play here would be if the interference was judged to be willful and deliberate.

Here are the rules pertinent to this play.

7.09(l) It is interference by a batter or a runner when he fails to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball, or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, provided that if two or more fielders attempt to field a batted ball, and the runner comes in contact with one or more of them, the umpire shall determine which fielder is entitled to the benefit of this rule, and shall not declare the runner out for coming in contact with the fielder other than the one the umpire determines to be entitled to field such a ball.

7.09(g) It is interference by a batter or a runner when if, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.

Tim.