The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Situation:

R1 and R2 with less than two outs. Batter hits liner that is almost caught. Because of this, all runner stay put. But because he dropped it, he then throws to 2nd then 1st for the double play. My question...if R2 remains on 2nd, is he out if tagged? I know that R1 is out because of the tag of 2nd base, and batter-runner is out because the tag of 1st base, but what about R2? Does the force make him HAVE to move, therefore a tag gets him out?

Thanx

Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
Situation:

R1 and R2 with less than two outs. Batter hits liner that is almost caught. Because of this, all runner stay put. But because he dropped it, he then throws to 2nd then 1st for the double play. My question...if R2 remains on 2nd, is he out if tagged? I know that R1 is out because of the tag of 2nd base, and batter-runner is out because the tag of 1st base, but what about R2? Does the force make him HAVE to move, therefore a tag gets him out?

Thanx

R2, or 3b, must be tagged before the force is removed on R2 by tagging 2b.
By tagging R2, then 2b, then 1b, if necessary, yer up to bat.
mick
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Situation:

Thanx

mick
So what if he tags R2 and second base at the same time. Would that be two outs?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Situation:

Thanx

mick
So what if he tags R2 and second base at the same time. Would that be two outs?
Gre144,
One of the tags has to be first, yo?

R2, then 2b = two outs if R2 is still on the bag.
2b, then R2 = R1 forced out, if R2 is still on the bag with force removed.

mick

Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Gre144,

mick

[/B][/QUOTE]

Of course my scenario is as unlikely as winning the lottery. But it would be possible to touch the bag at the same time as tagging R2 on second.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Only if R2 is tagged before the fielder steps on 2nd base for the force out on R1. Once the base is tagged, the force is removed and R2 need not leave the base. If he's off the base, he may also return to it (before being tagged and before reaching 3rd base.)
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 06:15am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Gre144,

mick

Of course my scenario is as unlikely as winning the lottery. But it would be possible to touch the bag at the same time as tagging R2 on second. [/B][/QUOTE]

The point is for you to judge which happened first, even if both tags were at the same time.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whowefoolin
[B]Situation:

Thanx

---------------------------------
In this situation the runner at second is forced to the next base due to the actions of the B/R. If he is tagged while the force is still in effect, whether he is on the base or not, he would be out.

If second base, R1 or first base is tagged before R2 is tagged that would remove the force and R2 could not be called out if still on the base. G.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would also be cautious of an "intentionally" dropped line drive here. I had that happen to me earlier this year and made the call after the ball came off the glove of F6. Of course you had to be there to see the play, and although it was not HIGHLY obvious, it seemed obvious to me.
Not a single complaint on the call.

The situation is one where significant advantage CAN be obtained through an interntional drop.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 12:37pm
In Memoriam

Yupper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
I would also be cautious of an "intentionally" dropped line drive here. I had that happen to me earlier this year and made the call after the ball came off the glove of F6. Of course you had to be there to see the play, and although it was not HIGHLY obvious, it seemed obvious to me.
Not a single complaint on the call.

The situation is one where significant advantage CAN be obtained through an interntional drop.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Freix,
Yeah, I had a shortsop get the ball buried in his glove and open it up in a game of try-to-fool-the-ump in order to get a double play.
No complaints there either.
mick