The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Properly Equipped

FED. The opposing coach made a pitching change. While this was being done, one of the players involved in the switch removed his cup and took it to the dugout. PU told the coach that all of his players needed to be wearing a cup. The coach said that they did not have to and PU turned to me and said, "You heard that. If I get sued, you are a witness. He told me his team was properly equipped." I later heard the coach saying that properly equipped had nothing to do with wearing a cup. It had to do with helmets, bats, jewelry, etc.

Who is correct here?
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

harmbu,

Under FED rules, there is no provision requiring anyone other than the catcher to wear a protective cup.

JM
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Both right & both wrong.

The catcher is the only player required to wear the cup, unless your league has more stringent rules. So the ump was wrong not everybody has to wear a cup.

When asked if his team is properly equipped that includes the cup the catcher is required to wear as well as all other safety measures. So the coach was wrong.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
When asked if his team is properly equipped that includes the cup the catcher is required to wear as well as all other safety measures. So the coach was wrong.
As I understand the conversation, the coach denied the claim that all of his players must wear a cup. That denial is correct: not all players must wear a cup.

It does not follow, and the coach is not reported to have said, that no player must wear a cup.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 04:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As I understand the conversation, the coach denied the claim that all of his players must wear a cup. That denial is correct: not all players must wear a cup.

It does not follow, and the coach is not reported to have said, that no player must wear a cup.
I think that's included with what the coach "later said."
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 05:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What the coach said was that properly equipped has nothing to do with wearing a cup, when it most certainly does. Properly equipped means that your male catcher is wearing his protective cup, and that nobody is wearing jewelry other than medical alert jewelry.

And the coaches are not allowed to say any of that "to the best of my knowledge" crap, either. They must directly state "Yes" when asked if their players are properly equipped, and that includes the catcher wearing his cup.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, it also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Aug 31, 2009 at 06:19pm.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
In our association, it also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen.
And in every other association in the country.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
What the coach said was....
Or, Harmbu said that the coach said this, so we're getting a second hand account and something might be getting lost in the translation.

Regardless or who said what, the rule is the rule. In FED baseball a cup must be worn by the catcher or any non-adult warming up a pitcher at any location- and only then if the catcher or warm-up person is a male!

The umpire who reportedly said all this was trying to enforce a rule that doesn't exist. He's kind of goofy, too, for making comments about lawsuits and witnesses. If you really think that a player is violating an equpment or safety rule, why would you just go ahead and let the player play and worry more about covering your own butt? If you know for a fact that a player is not properly equipped- no matter what the coach told you at the pre-game conference- you do not allow him to participate!
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
As long as they squat, yes. If they don't squat (crouch), neither head gear nor a cup is required.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 10:05pm

I guess you do know squat after all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I once had a partner tell a coach he had to wear a cup to warm up a pitcher. That led to an interesting discussion.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
And in every other association in the country.
I originally worded it, "It also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen."

I included, "In our association" so that you would not pick my statement apart.

You did anyway. How long must your games take?

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Aug 31, 2009 at 11:19pm.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

It must be a FED thing, because in 36 years (and some 2200 games), I have never once posed the question, "Is your team properly equipped."
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Properly Equipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
It must be a FED thing, because in 36 years (and some 2200 games), I have never once posed the question, "Is your team properly equipped."
Yes it is, goes right along with inspecting bats, batting helments, and catcher's helmet.
Closed Thread