The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Properly Equipped (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54497-properly-equipped.html)

harmbu Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24pm

Properly Equipped

FED. The opposing coach made a pitching change. While this was being done, one of the players involved in the switch removed his cup and took it to the dugout. PU told the coach that all of his players needed to be wearing a cup. The coach said that they did not have to and PU turned to me and said, "You heard that. If I get sued, you are a witness. He told me his team was properly equipped." I later heard the coach saying that properly equipped had nothing to do with wearing a cup. It had to do with helmets, bats, jewelry, etc.

Who is correct here?

UmpJM Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29pm

harmbu,

Under FED rules, there is no provision requiring anyone other than the catcher to wear a protective cup.

JM

Ump Rube Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:32pm

Both right & both wrong.

The catcher is the only player required to wear the cup, unless your league has more stringent rules. So the ump was wrong not everybody has to wear a cup.

When asked if his team is properly equipped that includes the cup the catcher is required to wear as well as all other safety measures. So the coach was wrong.

mbyron Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 623125)
When asked if his team is properly equipped that includes the cup the catcher is required to wear as well as all other safety measures. So the coach was wrong.

As I understand the conversation, the coach denied the claim that all of his players must wear a cup. That denial is correct: not all players must wear a cup.

It does not follow, and the coach is not reported to have said, that no player must wear a cup.

Adam Mon Aug 31, 2009 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 623126)
As I understand the conversation, the coach denied the claim that all of his players must wear a cup. That denial is correct: not all players must wear a cup.

It does not follow, and the coach is not reported to have said, that no player must wear a cup.

I think that's included with what the coach "later said." :)

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 31, 2009 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 623126)

What the coach said was that properly equipped has nothing to do with wearing a cup, when it most certainly does. Properly equipped means that your male catcher is wearing his protective cup, and that nobody is wearing jewelry other than medical alert jewelry.

And the coaches are not allowed to say any of that "to the best of my knowledge" crap, either. They must directly state "Yes" when asked if their players are properly equipped, and that includes the catcher wearing his cup.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Aug 31, 2009 06:06pm

In our association, it also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen.

LDUB Mon Aug 31, 2009 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 623158)
In our association, it also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen.

And in every other association in the country.

BretMan Mon Aug 31, 2009 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 623157)
What the coach said was....

Or, Harmbu said that the coach said this, so we're getting a second hand account and something might be getting lost in the translation.

Regardless or who said what, the rule is the rule. In FED baseball a cup must be worn by the catcher or any non-adult warming up a pitcher at any location- and only then if the catcher or warm-up person is a male!

The umpire who reportedly said all this was trying to enforce a rule that doesn't exist. He's kind of goofy, too, for making comments about lawsuits and witnesses. If you really think that a player is violating an equpment or safety rule, why would you just go ahead and let the player play and worry more about covering your own butt? If you know for a fact that a player is not properly equipped- no matter what the coach told you at the pre-game conference- you do not allow him to participate!

dash_riprock Mon Aug 31, 2009 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 623158)

As long as they squat, yes. If they don't squat (crouch), neither head gear nor a cup is required.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:05pm

I guess you do know squat after all.:)

RPatrino Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48pm

I once had a partner tell a coach he had to wear a cup to warm up a pitcher. That led to an interesting discussion.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 623163)
And in every other association in the country.

I originally worded it, "It also includes any player who warms up a pitcher either on the diamond or in the bullpen."

I included, "In our association" so that you would not pick my statement apart.

You did anyway. How long must your games take?

rpumpire Tue Sep 01, 2009 03:54am

It must be a FED thing, because in 36 years (and some 2200 games), I have never once posed the question, "Is your team properly equipped."

nopachunts Tue Sep 01, 2009 07:00am

Properly Equipped

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpumpire (Post 623212)
It must be a FED thing, because in 36 years (and some 2200 games), I have never once posed the question, "Is your team properly equipped."

Yes it is, goes right along with inspecting bats, batting helments, and catcher's helmet.