The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

hello,
im a fastpitch and baseball umpire here in virginia;
my question is why is it so hard for umpires too wear the proper equipment. i work with guys and gals doing fastpitch that wear soccer guards; and no chest protector; being a baseball umpire i wear my full protection when ever i step on the field; this is the way i was taught; sometimes they call me a wimp im a bigguy 6'2 228; and let me tell you something the bigger they are the harder they fall; my chest protector is a +pos with plates and my shin guards are jerry davis and my facemask is a jerry davis; sure this set me back a weeks pay; but i have never been hurt and im here too tell you i have had plenty of balls come off the bat and give me a good crack; so can anyone tell me why a umpire wouldnt wear the proper equipment?

thanks
tim
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Beats me. I also do baseball and softball in Illinois. I also use the POS BB2000 chest protector which set me back about $125 but is well worth it. I've taken some good shots and the way it is designed it dissipates the impact across the protector. I wouldn't do baseball without it. I had a mask that I replaced two years ago that had one of the bars bent from a shot in a varsity baseball geame.

The only difference when I do softball is a lighter chest protector. I've done softball with guys who only use a mask and no chest protector or shin guards. I've been hit and a softball is in no means soft. I've seen guys drop when hit with a foul in the chest. Some of these guys think varsity softball players should be able to stop anything. They are more courageous or crazy than me.

No way am I behind the plate in baseball or softball without wearing all my protective gear.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you two. I've never understood the minimalist equipment umpire, either. Even at lower levels, a sharp "foul tip to the umpire" (using MLB baseball announcers definition of a "foul tip" ) can "leave a mark."

Someone here will know the MLB umpire who, when asked if he wore his cup when calling the bases replied something like, "I don't even watch a game on TV without wearing my cup."

That sums up my attitude about equipment.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Billy P. talked about equipment and the evolution of umpiring at the National School here in Phoenix back in February. He said that we used to umpire from directly behind the catcher looking over the top of the catchers head. In this position, we were completely shielded by the catcher and only needed a mask for protection. As we have steadily moved the PU out toward the slot position we use today, the umpires have become more exposed and more protective equipment is necessary.

Some of my collegues in Phoenix have the attitude that wearing a chest protector for girls softball is "wimpy". Some others choose not to wear one because of the heat here in the summertime. I even know of two guys that do not wear a cup when they are behind the plate!

I agree with the opinions expressed: I wear all the gear, all the time!
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Danger

A 58mph pitch that hits you in the leg or foot or arm can hurt, bruise, cut, and even break a bone. If you don't mind the pain, you will heal eventually. But a sharp blow to the chest can stop your heart; can kill you. Unfortunately it happens all too often in the sports world.

It's not worth the risk. Protect yourself - and learn how to be effective with all that equipment, and in the heat. Otherwise get off the field.

WMB
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

We had major league ump Gary Davis at regional clinic I attended who suprisingly replyed to a question that he doesn't wear a cup on the bases.

I wear a cup behind the plate and on the bases. Better safe than sorry.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

Being female, I always want to protect my bazongas with a good chest protector. I call only FP and use the UMP. It works well and is much cooler than my old Allstar or +POS. I also wear long NIKE liner/pants under my slacks that hold in heat when it's cold outside, and wicks away moisture when it's hot. They also keep my knees from being rubbed as I wear double knee shin guards with wings and foot protector. I wear a light weight mask that I bought from ASA that I love and it's taken quite a few shots and has held up well.
I hate to say it guys, but some of you that don't wear full equiptment must have damaged egos of some sort. Not wearing a cup, chest protector and shin guards is just plain stupid!

[Edited by Elaine "Lady Blue" on Mar 20th, 2003 at 02:41 PM]
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Well, everybody can start picking on me. Baseball, yes, full protection. Fast-pitch softball? Haven't worn shin guards in years and often don't wear a chest protector. Depends on how I feel that day. I will concede that the collar bone is vulnerable.

As for a cup, I never wore one through school, Legion, college, semipro. Can't stand them. (No, I wasn't a catcher.) I'm 54, and the only injuries I've received in all my years of playing and umpiring were (1) as an ump, a FP softball to the elbow that caused an odd localized swelling the size of a golf ball; it went down in about 2 hours; and (2) as a SP player, a bad hop shot to the chest at third. Caused a big bruise, but that's it. In neither case would the usual protective equipment have helped.

With the Miken Ultras and the 12-inch golf balls they're hitting today, I'd wear a hockey helmet to play outfield.

I do wear my seatbelt.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

You can put me on that list with greymule. I always wear my shin guards and cup, but I wear my chest protector when I feel like I need it. I know, I need it all the time. But sometimes, it just too damn hot, and I don't feel like putting it on.
It may come from my younger days as a player. I caught men's fastpitch softball and the only think I wore then, was a cup and a mask. No shin guards, no chest protector. I look back now, and wonder why? I only knew one catcher that wore shin guards, none that wore a chest protector. But , at least now, when I don't have my chest protector on, I have a catcher in front of me.
I can't wait for this weekend now. If I choose to go without my chest protector, I'm know I'm going to take a shot.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Talking

For the first 12 years I did fast pitch, I didn't even own a chest protector. Then 4 years I was going to my first national, and bought one. I just thought I would be more focused on the game, and not worry about getting hit. i always wore shin gaurds, and a cup. I wear my CP most of the time, but sometimes don't feel like putting it on.
NIF
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Here are the choices:
a) Being smart, protected and focused
b) Getting hurt
c) Worrying about some nitwit thinking I'm not macho

I think I'll pick "a". Even a quick recovery disrupts your concentration and delays the game. In one HSV game last year, each piece of my equipment took two hits except the right shinguard, but I'll keep wearing it in case I get a bunch of lefty batters.
I have to admit that, being used to LL, I didn't buy a chest protector when I started SB. That is, until I took three in the chest from a pitcher who also shattered a 3/4 inch thick wooden sign with a wild pitch. As to heat, just drink more WATER and don't be a wimp.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

FWIW....The Honig's K2 chest protector is a good option for those of you worrying about the heat.

I live in Phoenix, so I think that I know about games in the heat. I switched from the traditional full length protector to the K2 last year and absolutely love it. It is lighter and easier to wear than the old one. It provides protection for the collar bone area and the sternum. I have plenty of "natural" padding above the waist. Several of my collegues here in Phoenix wear the K2.

(Now I just need to contact Honig's for my kickback)
Old Sat Mar 22, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Must be a regional thing when it comes to equipment.Here in my chapter in Southeastern PA,only about 2 guys out of 60 wear full gear.I wear shin guards,a mask,and of course a cup.I am not that crazy!!But as for the chest protector we just dont use it for our Varsity and Div III College softball games.I do take a shot in the shoulder area from time to time,but not enough to make me break out my CP.I know I probably should,but it is much more a habit and definetly not a macho thing for me.I did however have the pleasure this past summer of umpiring the Major Womens Fastpitch Tournament in Lyons,PA.I was behind the plate for the Stratford Brakettes(National champs 2002)and defintely brought out my CP in that game.Those women throw some serious heat!!!To sum it up,I believe it is a personal preference depending on the level of play. Jeff
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

During the AFA 18U Nationals this past year in Beaumont, Texas, three umpires
refused to wear the CP's, and we had three broken collar bone cases. Wear'em
guys/gals, cause you have no control of foul balls and pitches, that some
catchers cannot handle.

JMHO,

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
During the AFA 18U Nationals this past year in Beaumont, Texas, three umpires
refused to wear the CP's, and we had three broken collar bone cases. Wear'em
guys/gals, cause you have no control of foul balls and pitches, that some
catchers cannot handle.

JMHO,

glen
.........or lazy and/or tired, hot, catchers! I got my worse injury from a lazy 16U A catcher that refused to catch inside pitches! A 60 MPH Fastball right to the top of my right hand. OUCH!! It swelled up to the size of a 12" ball. Luckily, no broken bones.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995