The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Would not have happened if properly trained

I must say the union actions are horific! Where to begin? Posting photos of replacements, fill ins, scabs, whatever you choose to call them. Then putting "cute" comments. One comment in reference to a brawl--"It's going to take a lot of these"--If you're banking on brawls to get your jobs back you may as well find new work.
Picketing in jeans and flip-flops with untucked shirts, hoodies, stocking caps? Let's go! Look professional and do it in uniform. (Look at the Delta pilots).
Harrassing and threatening phone calls to replacement guys--trouble with the law.
How can Hubler say Young is a fine young man who is respectful and hopes this doesn't tarnish the career of such a fine young prospect! He was suspended for bumping an umpire--a professional one--last year.
As a former minor league umpire I was hit in the face with a bat. It can happen to anyone regardless of training!! You can't control the emotions or idiocy of athletes. Hubler's comments made me sick! He should be ashamed and embarrassed. AMLU was because they took down his post shortly after it was put up. Unfortunately for Hubler, Baseball America got hold of it.
How many minor league umpires are working college games right now? If they respected their brothers, they would not be working those games. Give the guys a chance to work their own games and maybe get a shot at moving up a level in their ranks.
Their was a brawl yesterday in the big leagues...does that mean they aren't qualified? Do they need more training? Are they in over their heads?
With the logic of the AMLU, in the major leagues and when the minor league umpires come back, there will not be an ejection, a brawl, a missed call, a missed rule interpretation, a hat will not blow off, an umpire won't slip, an argument etc, etc.
Clean up your act AMLU! You are losing support quickly.
Unfortunately, as a former minor league umpire I have to listen to people ask what is going on with MY union. I inform them that this is in no way MY union. I got out when the getting was good.
And if you are wondering, no, I am not bitter at PBUC, MiLB, or minor league umpires. I got into the game knowing I was not going to make a lot of money, I would travel a lot and I would have to find other work in the off season. I did not have delusions that minor league baseball would be a job that would pay all my bills and make me rich. It was the chance of being that 1% to go to the big leagues and then make all that money. The minor leagues is nothing more than a glorified summer job.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I can't tell you how tired of these stupid posts most of us are. The same drivel, the same arguments - 10 threads at a time. WE F$&*ING GET IT already. Post about some friggin baseball. Enough of this crap that goes no where, engenders nothing but bickering, and educates no one.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisquisitiveD
And if you are wondering, no, I am not bitter at PBUC, MiLB, or minor league umpires. I got into the game knowing I was not going to make a lot of money, I would travel a lot and I would have to find other work in the off season. I did not have delusions that minor league baseball would be a job that would pay all my bills and make me rich. It was the chance of being that 1% to go to the big leagues and then make all that money.
That's what I've been wondering about. They system is the system, and all these guys knew what they were getting into when they signed up. What makes them think it will suddenly change radically to pay them thousands of dollars more to chase the big league dream? If anyone is going to get paid I think that money would go to the players who the fans pay to see.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I can't tell you how tired of these stupid posts most of us are. The same drivel, the same arguments - 10 threads at a time. WE F$&*ING GET IT already. Post about some friggin baseball. Enough of this crap that goes no where, engenders nothing but bickering, and educates no one.
How come you didn't F$&*ING GET IT a couple of weeks ago when the replacements were being blamed for brawls, bat throwings, player injuries, lack of player development and the price of gas?

You can't have it BOTH ways!
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
How come you didn't F$&*ING GET IT a couple of weeks ago when the replacements were being blamed for brawls, bat throwings, player injuries, lack of player development and the price of gas?

You can't have it BOTH ways!
I don't want it "both ways"... I'm just tired of the repetition, whichever side you may agree with.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I just heard that MiLB umps were striking, is that true?
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 03:06pm

LMan, you just couldn't help yourself, could you?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
That's what I've been wondering about. They system is the system, and all these guys knew what they were getting into when they signed up. What makes them think it will suddenly change radically to pay them thousands of dollars more to chase the big league dream? If anyone is going to get paid I think that money would go to the players who the fans pay to see.
sir,

these boys are not asking for "thousands of dollars." where did you see that published? they are asking for more food money, and maybe a couple hundred bucks more a month to combat the rise in cost of living over the last decade. the offer they turned down was for $100 a month and $2 per day in food money.

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 03:01pm.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I hate when I can't separate the wheat from my shaft!
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby...

According to MiLB, the union originally asked for almost three hundred dollars a month and eight dollars more per diem. In a five month, 140 game season, that is a couple thousand dollars.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i don't discount those facts. what would you have suggested they ask for upon entering into a negotiation? exactly what their bottom line was? what room would that leave for negotations? because they asked for 300 doesn't mean that's what they would have gone to work for. they had to leave room to go down, even though 300 is already well below what they probably would have liked to get.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 12:03am

It's wheat from the chaff, you silly goose.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
LMan, you just couldn't help yourself, could you?

[BugsBunny] "Ain't I a stinker?" [/BugsBunny]

Old Thu May 04, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
What significance would a PAY RAISE have on the bottom line? Let us assume 5,783,141 fans turn in to see the game each month or a total of 28, 915, 705 fans per 5 month season. That was the number of fans who went to MiLB games this April 2006. For comparisons, over 41 million fans entered the gates in 2005.

$690,000 RAISE / 28, 915, 705 fans = $0.024 cents per ticket. Now suppose another 12 million fans show up, less than 2 cents per fan. I now know what it feels like to absorb/raise ticket prices to support UMPIRES. Quick, call OUT the PINKERTONS.
This is silly, you are now asking the fans to absorb the cost of the umpires. That sounds like High School playoffs.

If you have ever worked in a Minor League town you realize that many can't afford the costs of the big league action. They enjoy the 25 cent hotdog nights and buy one-get one beers. While 2 cents per ticket doesn't sound like much, the guy who sweeps the stadium, PA announcer, ground crew, ticket takers, program/souvenier hawkers and vendors will then ask for support too. They are integral to the experience, aren't they? See what I mean about Pandora's Box?
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't these, and other ballpark personnel salaries already be paid from this incoming ticket revenue? As are the light, water and gas bills I'd assume? I think it is safe to assume that those people are payed by whatever revenues are generated by the ticket sales, ad sales, etc. However, just like the airline workers, if you start paying one group more, the others start asking for more. Do you really think that won't happen?

Ticket takers, program/beer vendors, cleaning crews and the kid parking cars probably do not need a whole lot of training (ump-school) to do this job and could be replaced at a minimal wage (which I would think is a typical wage for these jobs at any ballpark--MiLB or MLB).That is exactly the same thinking of PBUC - which side are you really on? The amateur umpires are doing the job without the necessity of benefits, evaluations and housing.

PA-I've done this before, good timing, pronounciation skills and speaking clearly are good traits to have, perhaps not that much training NEEDED for this role. Most parks have professional broadcasters and announcers - guys that work local radio usually. They are trained. Dismissing them is like saying all you need is good eyesight to be an umpire, not much more.

Grounds crew-Other than the head groundskeeper, a lot of kids I know do this and work hard, but really didn't have any training for it. The keeper should be rewarded for his skills, experience and training as his job can make a park beautiful or dangerous for players. I hope that his/her work is rewarded, and if he/she has to ask the boss for a raise, if he/she is good at what they do, they can put out a resume for a new ball club that IS willing to bump his/her salary if he/she continues to do a bang-up job at it. Again, this argument doesn't hold water. If those AMLU guys want to ask for more money and their boss doesn't want to pay it, they can quit. If the groundskeeper does it, he is in the same boat. Reality sets in when you realize that you get paid what they think you are worth, not what you expect.

The last MiLB game (Eastern League-AA) I went to had $6 beer, $5 sandwiches, $4 sodas and parking hit me for $5. Granted this ball park had an occasional "special" for the beer night, or ladies night, or funny-hat night at a discount, but that's business to bring in more fans--something MiLB has been successful at doing (according to the data on the thread) over the years. You got ripped off. The very reason it is so appealing is that it is cheap family entertainment. Visit the Appy league sometime - those guys dig holes in the ground all day and live for a 50 cent beer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Texas HS football, don't some regions still pay their FB officials from a percentage of the gate revenues? Granted, I know Texas FB attendence is fanatic, but I'd venture to guess that the attendence figures are similar at least to MiLB. You aren't serious about this gate revenue thing are you? Fans don't care if Howdy Dowdy is umpiring the game - you should have learned that from the strike.