The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering how you all handle the tuck; no tuck issue when it comes to shirts. I felt I had resolved the issue for myself by simply letting the girls wear them the way they wanted. Most girls teams in this area wear a sleeveless pullover that comes down to slightly below the waist. But I worked with a guy the other night who was quite adamant about keeping them tucked in even when they got on base. When I took the plate for a second game he kept telling me to remind the girls but I told him I had a difference of opinion. ASA 3-6 says players "shall properly wear uniforms" etc., etc. They also go on to say that sleeves can be adjusted with tie-ups, which is obviously not the way the shirt was designed to be worn. That leads me to believe that some modification is acceptable.

I want the players to look neat and I think that the vast majority of them look fine without being tucked in. If the rule book said specifically "tucked in" then I would have no problem. I just grow weary of trying to inforce a rule that doesn't seem to exist. Any thoughts?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

We have the same kind of uniforms around here as you do, and I don't worry about having them tucked in. I figure there are enough other things to worry about without constantly nagging about jerseys.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Does anybody know what the original intent of the rule was? One could dream up any number of offensive or dangerous uniform violations. (I DID see a girl try to enter the batter's box wearing her helmet backwards.)

That said, it IS entirely possible that a uniform is meant to be worn untucked. Remember the Chicago White Sox back in the late 70's? (LOL)!!!

Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justmom
Does anybody know what the original intent of the rule was? One could dream up any number of offensive or dangerous uniform violations. (I DID see a girl try to enter the batter's box wearing her helmet backwards.)

That said, it IS entirely possible that a uniform is meant to be worn untucked. Remember the Chicago White Sox back in the late 70's? (LOL)!!!

Who cares about the Chisox?

The uniform should be worn properly which means if it extends below the waste, the shirt should be tucked in.

However, I'm not going to make it a 150 minute game screwing with uniforms. However, if an untucked shirt is hit by a pitched ball, guess what? Batter, stay here. Defender swipes at a runner and tags the shirt, out!

Where can any discussion on this go?

Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justmom
Does anybody know what the original intent of the rule was?
It is not safety. It is about having teams look neat, and about not having a playing situation change because part of a uniform was out of place. By rule, if the pitch touches the uniform, that is the same as a hit batter. With loose shirt tails, blowing in the breeze, it is entirely possible to have a batter "hit" because the shirt was not tucked in.

Of course, like Mike suggested, the umpire could "not see" the ball touch the shirt.

With ordinary league games, I don't worry about it.

In tournaments, if the TD makes a point of it in the tournament rules, I'll mention it once at the plate meeting and perhaps after that if things become too sloppy (or it is windy).

In championship play, I enforce it.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Quote:
Cubs fan?
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Called a state district playoff this weekend, I did for that.

Check out POE 48, especially A&B.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
The only place it can "go" is where it went. I simply had a legitimate question about an issue that comes up every game and was wondering where others stood on it. I simply don't like enforcing a rule that doesn't really exist. If ASA (or any other organization) wants shirts tucked in then please state so clearly.
I understand about pitched balls hitting untucked shirts, etc. I too want to go on and umpire the game.

Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Little Jimmy, Reread my post above yours, read POE 48.
Rule exists, ASA wants it, and wrote it down.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I read POE 48 and stand corrected about no mentioning of "tucked in" in the rules. However, I still think that there are uniforms that are indeed designed to be worn out side the shorts. But at least now I have a statement to hang my hat on.

For the record, I do feel it's a bit ambiguous to have POE 48 say unsporting behavior could be "sleeves rolled under" when 3-6 allows for sleeves to be adjusted with or without ties.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, and also wonder as justmom why the rule is there. I also wonder about the bandana thing, NFHS is adamant about that, can't even wear it under a batting helmet to keep the coodies out! But...rules are rules, its our job to enforce them.