The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I know the rules, for those that need to lighten up.

I hear coach's yelling instructions to catchers or signaling instructions and then the catcher call's time and walks to the mound. I have never called a conference, but i wondered how other officials handle what amounts to a mini conference once or twice an inning.

with all due respect Mbyron, How can I answer my own question????? I am asking YOU how you handle that situation..
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
DG and mdtnblu, sounds like you are probably on the same page with a bit more communication. DG, you are supposed to charge a conference ANY time a HC confers with a defensive player who immediately goes to the pitcher. mdtnblu, a coach who chats with his catcher in this sit is OK IF there is no other runners to contend with.

Not true in HS. Any granted TO to confer with any defensive player is a charged conference, whether or not that player then goes to talk to the pitcher.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
with all due respect Mbyron, How can I answer my own question?????
You would if, as Mbyron qualified his suggestions, you understand the purpose of the rule:

"OK, then you should be able to answer your own question, if you reflect on the purpose of the defensive conference limitation."

If you don't know why the rule exists, then you will need help of others.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
with all due respect Mbyron, How can I answer my own question????? I am asking YOU how you handle that situation..
OK, I guess I need to know more about your question: are you just taking a poll of what people do, or are you asking what the right approach is?

If the former, then you're right, there's no substitute for taking a poll. I apologize if I mistakenly assumed that you were asking the more interesting question.

I also apologize if all you want is for me to explain the rule to you. In my experience, when people figure things out for themselves they tend to understand it better and remember it longer.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu View Post
Why did you allow that to happen. DC on the field during live ball?
Because I am not an OOO, and I get to decide what is an "unauthorized purpose" since the rule book does not. It was brief, did not delay the game, and I don't mind.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Because I am not an OOO, and I get to decide what is an "unauthorized purpose" since the rule book does not. It was brief, did not delay the game, and I don't mind.

If a coach is coming onto the field prior to a BR reaching first base, I've got a stop sign until the BR reaches first (ball is still live). Then I've got "Time" if that is what the coach wants. Depending on his actions after that i may have a charged conference.

I just didn't understand why you would have a coach coming out talking to his catcher during a live ball.

Maybe i misunderstood your situation.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

I am not saying the coach walks out on the field. But many times a coach or the head coach will signal or yell to the catcher information, inbetween batters. the catcher will all of a sudden ask for time and walk out to the pitcher. It is to relay information to the pitcher the same as the coach would.

we all know that a coach uses a conference to determine the status of the pitcher, talk about how to pitch the next batter or discuss a defensive philosophy based on runners on base.

If the catcher can call time to give out this information or relay to the pitcher something, the team has created a free conference.

I have never said anything, but I wondered how many of you handle an overuse of this process. and I guess the key word is overuse.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not saying the coach walks out on the field. But many times a coach or the head coach will signal or yell to the catcher information, inbetween batters. the catcher will all of a sudden ask for time and walk out to the pitcher. It is to relay information to the pitcher the same as the coach would.

That's not a conference.

If there's "overuse" (and I can't imagine it), don't grant F2 time.