The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Pants deal-Official's Call on Ebay. Reviews?

I don't have any experience and can't find any reviews on Official Call pants, but 75 shipped for plate and base pants isn't a bad deal if the pants are decent quality. Anyone ever seen them? Here's the link for 34s--Their store has other sizes at the same price.

2 Pair Brand New Umpire Pants - Plate & Base Sz 34 - eBay (item 280321197027 end time Apr-08-09 07:46:43 PDT)
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

They state in the description that they are heather gray. Check with your assoc. and make sure heather is still an acceptable color to wear. Here in CA the now acceptible pant is dark or charcoal for HS and College. Most LL districts still accept heather. Good price none the less. The alternative is to spend the money on quality Honigs wooly pants and they will last for years if cared for properly. Another alternative is to buy the Gerry Davis pants in a combo set up and it will cost the same. Hate to have you get a deal and only have them good for a season.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Heather is still accepted in KSHSAA, but the charcoal is allowed as well; they're not making everyone switch until charcoal becomes "the norm" I'm guessing.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 04:48pm

The only other thing with these is that they say the belt loops are 3/4", which doesn't say that they accomodate a 3/4" belt with ease. The loops may be a bit snug for the bigger belt widths. I'm not sure if they meant the loops will accomodate a 3/4" belt, or the loops were precisely 3/4". Most companies specify that the loops are extra-wide to accomodate 3/4" belts.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The only other thing with these is that they say the belt loops are 3/4", which doesn't say that they accomodate a 3/4" belt with ease.
I noticed that. All my belts are 1-3/4" so 3/4" wide belt loops wouldn't come close to working. I'm guessing they left off the "1" in 1-3/4"
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Blue View Post
I noticed that. All my belts are 1-3/4" so 3/4" wide belt loops wouldn't come close to working. I'm guessing they left off the "1" in 1-3/4"
I'm guessing that 3/4 is the width of the sewn fabric loop, not the capacity of the loop itself.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:45pm
In Time Out

Why not

just send the seller a question. They would know more about the pants than anyone else. That way you will get what you're looking for from the horse's mouth.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Width, Not Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I'm guessing that 3/4 is the width of the sewn fabric loop, not the capacity of the loop itself.
Correct. The 3/4 width - not the height of the loop - indicates that it's a wide-sturdy loop (vs. a thin loop) that is typical on umpire pants. If umpire pants don't have loops tall enough for a 1 3/4 belt to fit through, then you can't really call them umpire pants.

Jim Kirk
Owner
Umpire & Referee Equipment & Uniforms
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I thought about that, but the picture must be deceiving. They didn't look that wide in the posted photo (at least not to my tired eyes).
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 06:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
Correct. The 3/4 width - not the height of the loop - indicates that it's a wide-sturdy loop (vs. a thin loop) that is typical on umpire pants. If umpire pants don't have loops tall enough for a 1 3/4 belt to fit through, then you can't really call them umpire pants.

Jim Kirk
Owner
Umpire & Referee Equipment & Uniforms
Yeah, 3/4" did sound a bit small. I was thinking 1 3/4" but the 3/4" threw me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

These are supposedly maufactured by Smitty.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Met the guys that own the company at a clinic here. Bought some of their stuff, and it seems to be good quality. Didn't buy pants so can't speak directly to that. They didn't have part of what I wanted with them so shipped it separately, and it was done quickly enough.

I'm glad we aren't restricted to charcoal gray here yet because mine are still on backorder with Honigs.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I just happen to live not too far from the Officials' Call, and since I had a DH near by today, I stopped and said hello.

Evidentailly the OC boys have come up with a new lighter mask, made of Magnesium. They showed me the mask, and the thing is as light as a feather. Since I use an HSM I really don't know what is light, or not light these days, but... Other than the awful Champro pads they put on the thing, I was impressed with the mask. It weighted almost nothing in my hands, and they said it was stronger than the Titanium masks. Compared to my old single bar from the late Cretaceous period, there is no comparison.

Evidentially these guys have connections with some Chinese factories who makes gear for them. They said that they had a first run of 72 of these new maks and just about all of them are spoken for at $129 per mask. Get 'em while they are hot I guess.

Also, the pants they sell are also branded as Smitty's pants. I assume that means they came from the same manufacturer.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

The Official's Call shirts- sold under their own label- also appear to be identical to the Smitty shirts, judging from the photos and descriptions on their website and on eBay.

Besides the mask, they are also selling chest protectors and shin guards branded with their own logo. Haven't figured out yet if these are designs exclusive to Official's Call, or "re-branded" equipment from another manufacturer (maybe Champro?) in the same vein as the shirts and pants are re-branded Smitty apparel.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I like the OC guys, but

If all these businesses are selling the same stuff, something is wrong. I like the OC guys, I have known them for several years. But I would sure like to see some US made stuff instead of stuff made in China. And some stuff that is different than everyone else's gear.

It seems like everyone is getting their stuff from the same 4 or 5 cheap labor factories in Asia. Not good.