The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

drop 3rd strike mechanic

what is the proper mechanic to indicate a dropped third strike? does this mechanic differ at any level, fed, ncaa, pro?

thanks
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump View Post
what is the proper mechanic to indicate a dropped third strike? does this mechanic differ at any level, fed, ncaa, pro?

thanks
It doesn't differ by level as much as it differs by area.

I give my standard strike call (not standard thrid strike call), followed by the "safe" sign and a verbal "no catch" or "the ball's on the ground". The safe sign and verbal are only if there's any doubt -- if the ball goes to the backstop or something, I just give the strike signal.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I had one last night but it did not require a signal. Curve ball across front-outer half of plate, catcher lets it bounce off his mitt to the backstop. Batter-runner walks a couple of steps then on prodding from his coaches takes off in the baseline. Catcher retrieves ball rather quickly but no one to throw it to. F3 had wandered into infield grass almost to the mound oblivious to the fumbled pitch. F9 was jogging in toward his dugout and F1 standing on the mound enjoying his called K3. F4 was just standing there watching. No one to throw it to. Free trip to first base. All in the top of the first with two outs.

I agree with Bob Jenkins. Do a verbal no catch if dropped. In my case it was not dropped but deflected to the backstop.

What an auspicious start to the game. The batter-runner wound up scoring and his team run-ruled the homeboys in five.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newump View Post

thanks
The aformentioned is similar to calling a FOUL ball meaning if EVERONE in the park KNOWS it's FOUL no need to signal / verbalize etc. HOWEVER if it's in doubt then we signal and verbalize.

I agree with Bob. If the ball is on it's way to the backstop then no need to do anything as EVERYBODY KNOWS that the ball was uncaught but if in doubt signal and verbalize it's NO BIG deal.

FWIW while the umpire should signal / verbalize, the coaches should instruct their F2's to simply TAG the runner when it's questionable. On the flip side the OM should intsruct his batter to run to first.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:39pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Do guys on here (PU's) simply tell F2 during warm up pitches "when in doubt, tag the guy" even if you think/know you caught it and it might be questionable? Unless you hear me call him out or if he's simply be out by rule Example: (R1 < 2 out)

I work a fair amount of 1 man so often times I'll tell both F2's as I'm watching the pregames...when in doubt, tag the guy...I guess I see it as being preventative since I don't have a partner in these 1 man games.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Do guys on here (PU's) simply tell F2 during warm up pitches "when in doubt, tag the guy" even if you think/know you caught it and it might be questionable? ...
johnnyg08,

Wouldn't dream of it.

When I was coaching, that's exactly what I taught my catchers to do.

JM
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
When I was coaching, that's exactly what I taught my catchers to do.
wish there were more like you