Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Helmet Laws Suck
As someone who smacked his head on the pavement while trying to make a left turn one day, I disagree.
Full helmet. Barely moving. Spun on some gravel in the median. I was out for ten minutes, or so the people who carried me to the sidewalk told me.

You are welcome to not wear a helmet if you can also clean up your brain-splatter mess after you crash. I surmise you also don't wear a seat belt and your family won't miss you when you're gone.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Helmets are designed to decrease not prevent head injuries. They are tested to the equivelent of a five foot fall. Inertia or speed is not considered a factor. That five foot fall is reported to be the equivelent of 13MPH. That's all. Which is what the HURT study tested to and DOT requires. Study after study confirms that there is very little...less than one percent difference in head injuries between states that do and don't require helmets. I would suggest a rider safety class if you fell while not really going very fast.

And yes....HELMET LAWS SUCK
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 04:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
You are welcome to not wear a helmet if you can also clean up your brain-splatter mess after you crash.
Wow, that doesn't even make sense, dude. Where did you come up with that pearl of wisdom? Did this brain injury just happen today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
I surmise you also don't wear a seat belt and your family won't miss you when you're gone.
I don't know why you would surmise such a thing. It's quite a leap in logic from disagreeing with helmet laws to not wearing seat belts. How does that correlate? And then to say such a thing about my family? Wow, dude. Again, did the brain injury just happen today?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Take it to the motorcycle forum.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
I know I am probably in agreement here but I feel the need to vent. NFHS always thinks of their rules as "safety." I am not sure why they do not require base coaches to wear helmets.
Simple as with most rules.

The helmet issue has not become an insurance problem YET. If the insurance companies say Your premium will increase by xx dollars if coaches do not wear a helmet in the coaches box

Guess what

A new rule will surface.

Amateur baseball unfortunately is governed by insurance that's why we have all these safety rules to begin with ie; the FPSR etc.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Helmets are virtually indestructible. I trust them completely.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 09:29am.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Looks like we lost site of my original post....What a surprise. I agree with many of the posts in that it's the coaches demise if he gets hit. I just feel that if MLB, MiLB and NCAA require it, that it would be a no brainer (no pun intended) for Fed to follow. My main concern is assistant coaches entering stats on their PDA and NOT paying attention to the game. Whether ear flaps are worn or not, whether a helmet is worn or not. PAY ATTENTION.

That being said, I will NOT wear a HSM if they become mandated for umpires. I have tried and cannot stand them. I will turn in my gear and start reffing girls soccer. Not a double standard. But in 28 years I have never had the need for a helmet. Knock on wood!!!
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 01:46am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
That being said, I will NOT wear a HSM if they become mandated for umpires. I have tried and cannot stand them. I will turn in my gear and start reffing girls soccer. Not a double standard. But in 28 years I have never had the need for a helmet. Knock on wood!!!
I too would turn in my gear. The cage I have is fine.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

W Sohl, your meaning? The HSM is not a guarantee against injury. The reason for the ear flaps and associated protection for catchers is due to the fact that they are involved in plays. If as an umpire you turn your head and offer up your ears to a batted or thrown ball, that is a mechanic issue. Again, in 28 years, I have never been hit in the ears or open part of my head. The foul tip that caught Kerwin Danley and put him down was a once in a million shot and a HSM may or may not have prevented it. I don't look down on people wearing the HSM I just prefer the option of not having to. I don't even wear the added throat protector that some umpires choose to wear.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:07am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
W Sohl, your meaning? The HSM is not a guarantee against injury. The reason for the ear flaps and associated protection for catchers is due to the fact that they are involved in plays. If as an umpire you turn your head and offer up your ears to a batted or thrown ball, that is a mechanic issue. Again, in 28 years, I have never been hit in the ears or open part of my head. The foul tip that caught Kerwin Danley and put him down was a once in a million shot and a HSM may or may not have prevented it. I don't look down on people wearing the HSM I just prefer the option of not having to. I don't even wear the added throat protector that some umpires choose to wear.
I'm agreeing with you. I don't use the HSM, I have the cage style or whatever you call it. I also wear the extra throat guard. I don't offer my ears to foul balls, I keep my focus towards the field of play and on the ball during an AB. I feel the mask that I have is plenty of protection and I am not spending the money on a HSM. If it ever becomes mandatory, I will look for another spring sport to officiate. I've always wanted a starters pistol.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
I know I am probably in agreement here but I feel the need to vent. NFHS always thinks of their rules as "safety." I am not sure why they do not require base coaches to wear helmets. MLB, MiLB, and NCAA does. Today I agreed to do a NFHS Tourney game on the bases. I was not concerned about the coaches NOT wearing helmets. HOWEVER I became a bit concerned about the home team 1st base coach spending more time on his PDA or Blackberry than coaching his runners. I know there is nothing in the FED book about this but how can this be safe? FED has so many stupid rules that they institute based on safety yet this is acceptable? Your thoughts.
Don't worry about it. Assistants are expedable
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:

Klokard,

What would you do if FED mandated helmets not just for coaches (a la MLB, MiLb, & NCAA), but also for Base Umpires?

JM
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Coach. Not sure what I would do. I can only hope it doesn't happen in my career.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 03:30pm

Quote:
Looks like we lost site of my original post....What a surprise.
Check page 1. I believe you can find it there.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:56pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Take it to the motorcycle forum.
Did it get deleted?