The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NFHS Coaches rule (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52179-nfhs-coaches-rule.html)

Klokard Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:53am

NFHS Coaches rule

I know I am probably in agreement here but I feel the need to vent. NFHS always thinks of their rules as "safety." I am not sure why they do not require base coaches to wear helmets. MLB, MiLB, and NCAA does. Today I agreed to do a NFHS Tourney game on the bases. I was not concerned about the coaches NOT wearing helmets. HOWEVER I became a bit concerned about the home team 1st base coach spending more time on his PDA or Blackberry than coaching his runners. I know there is nothing in the FED book about this but how can this be safe? FED has so many stupid rules that they institute based on safety yet this is acceptable? Your thoughts.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 10, 2009 01:05am

Simple: you are 1000 percent correct.

It is beyond idiotic to allow a guy to stand there fiddling with some device while in the line of fire. Ridiculous rule. One of the most ridiculous. And the helmet issue is another inexplicable oversight.

UmpJM Tue Mar 10, 2009 01:32am

Klokard,

There IS a rule regarding PDAs/Blackberries - 3-3-1i.

If you think he's doing something other than "scorekeeping", have him show you. I wouldn't be the least bit "discreet" about challenging him on this, and I wouldn't be shy about letting him know I was pissed off - I mean "concerned for his safety" - if he were "fiddling" with his PDA while there was "live action" occurring on the field.

If you don't like what he shows you in regard to his "scorekeeping" activities, restrict him to the dugout or toss him. If he's not the head coach, get his head coach involved in the conversation. Just be sure you're on solid ground should it be subsequently challenged through your assigning or state association.

JM

MrUmpire Tue Mar 10, 2009 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 586894)
I know there is nothing in the FED book about this but how can this be safe?

As JM has pointed out, there IS a rule regarding this.

waltjp Tue Mar 10, 2009 08:44am

And that rule is:

3-3-1 A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall
not:

i. have any object in his possession in the coach’s box other than a stopwatch, rule book, scorebook, a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) or comparable electronic score-recording device which shall be used for scorekeeping purposes only

MrUmpire Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 586958)
And that rule is:

3-3-1 A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall
not:

i. have any object in his possession in the coach’s box other than a stopwatch, rule book, scorebook, a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) or comparable electronic score-recording device which shall be used for scorekeeping purposes only

Exactly. There is little difference between a coach taking the time to keep a written scorebook and doing it electronically. Neither is ideal, but nether is illegal.

As far as FED's current lack of a helmet rule for base coaches: It has been reported that since there is no approved "coach's helmet", at least by NOCSAE, FED's attorney advised a "wait and see" position for this season rather than mandating something that could possibly fail to perform.

As noted, NCAA, MiLB and MLB have taken a different route.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42am

Considering that the helmet that is now being worn at the college and pro level has no ear flap, it doesn't even cover the area where Coach Mike Coolbaugh was struck, causing his death.

It's the same perfunctory motion that motorcycle riders go through to comply with a helmet law they think is bunk. The little bowl on your head won't save you, but you'll be following the rule.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 586896)
Simple: you are 1000 percent correct.

It is beyond idiotic to allow a guy to stand there fiddling with some device while in the line of fire. Ridiculous rule. One of the most ridiculous. And the helmet issue is another inexplicable oversight.

I'm sorry, I thought that this was in English, but I guess it's not; it's in ... wow, it is English.

I wonder why no one understood it.

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 586894)
I know I am probably in agreement here but I feel the need to vent. NFHS always thinks of their rules as "safety." I am not sure why they do not require base coaches to wear helmets. MLB, MiLB, and NCAA does. Today I agreed to do a NFHS Tourney game on the bases. I was not concerned about the coaches NOT wearing helmets. HOWEVER I became a bit concerned about the home team 1st base coach spending more time on his PDA or Blackberry than coaching his runners. I know there is nothing in the FED book about this but how can this be safe? FED has so many stupid rules that they institute based on safety yet this is acceptable? Your thoughts.

FED
If the coach is in the box, not paying attention and gets drilled in the head, tough cookies - not the umpire's problem.

If the coach is messing on his PDA/Blackberry, gets drilled and you haven't checked what he was doing with his "electronic device", you could be liable!

Better to take a moment and verify that he is using the device as a game tool and remind him to pay attention for his own safety.

MrUmpire Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 587022)

Better to take a moment and verify that he is using the device as a game tool and remind him to pay attention for his own safety.

Ozzy:

Playing devils advocate here:

Would you take the time to remind a coach who was writing in a scorebook to pay attention for his own safety?

ozzy6900 Tue Mar 10, 2009 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 587042)
Ozzy:

Would you take the time to remind a coach who was writing in a scorebook to pay attention for his own safety?

Let me put it to you this way, I had a coach last year who had no adult in the dugout (JV squad). He spent more time looking into the dugout than paying attention to the game (bunch of real brats in baseball uniforms). After a close call, I waited for a break in the action and mentioned to him that he really needs to keep an eye on the batter. He agreed and from that point on, he did his "correcting" with his eyes on the game.

I'd rather take a moment and avoid a problem because my family enjoy our home, as meager as it is, it's home - and a game fee is not worth losing it.

DonInKansas Tue Mar 10, 2009 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 587042)
Ozzy:

Guys carry scorebooks in the coaches box out there?

Never seen it.

MrUmpire Tue Mar 10, 2009 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 587132)

Never seen it.

Happens with First Base Coach from time to time. Not frequently, but far more often than I've seen them with PDA's.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Mar 10, 2009 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 587013)
It's the same perfunctory motion that motorcycle riders go through to comply with a helmet law they think is bunk. The little bowl on your head won't save you, but you'll be following the rule.

Helmet Laws Suck

SanDiegoSteve Tue Mar 10, 2009 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 587132)

Never seen it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 587177)
Happens with First Base Coach from time to time. Not frequently, but far more often than I've seen them with PDA's.

I've seen it occasionally, but usually at the lower levels, where coaches have to be concerned with players getting so many at bats or innings in the field, and they keep track of it. I don't recall seeing a coach actually record scores in the book, but then again, I don't have their watch when I'm working a game.:rolleyes: