The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Ok, most misunderstood rule by coaches?

About a week ago I had a thread about the most ignored rule in baseball (no fraternizing between opposing teams while on the field).

Well, after my game today, I thought it would be appropriate to start one on the most misunderstood rules by coaches. I had two of them today.

Situation 1 -1st and 2nd, groundball hits R1. Time, send batter runner to first and R2 back to second. What do you think the coach said?

Situation 2 - Runner on 1st, right hander throws over and throws it into dead ball territory. R1 to third. What do you think coach said?

I wish some leagues had a rules clinic for these guys so I didn't have to put up with their crap anymore. I felt like tossing them a rulebook and telling them to get back to me when they found the rule, meanwhile we'd play baseball.

Sorry for the rant.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

TussAgee11,

In sitch #2 this coach wants to ask if, in your judgement, the F1 legally disengaged prior to throwing to 1B. Did he?

JM
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Let's see. Defensive coach in situation #1 wanted to know why there was no double play called, or the offensive coach wanted you to know that it was not intentional, therefore it should be ignored.

Situation #2, if the F1 was off the rubber, it is a 2 base award. Still in contact with the rubber is a 1 base award.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Tuss - help us out and tell us which coach.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Let's see. Defensive coach in situation #1 wanted to know why there was no double play called, or the offensive coach wanted you to know that it was not intentional, therefore it should be ignored.

Situation #2, if the F1 was off the rubber, it is a 2 base award. Still in contact with the rubber is a 1 base award.
Yes, he stepped off the back. Why I gave 2 bases. He whined that it was a throw from the infield, so it should be one base.

1 -wanted R2 to third because he was magically forced by some sort of ghost runner I wasn't aware of, when I informed him that when Time was called, the runner was out and all runners have to return unless forced by the b/r now occupying first.

I believe the commentary went something like this.

"BACK TO SECOND!"
(I say nothing)
"WHY BACK TO SECOND!"
"Coach if you'd like to come out and talk feel free"
(walks out to me)
"WHY DOES HE GO BACK TO SECOND!"
"Because its the rule"
"HE WAS FORCED"
"All runners return to their base unless forced by the batter runner occupying first now"
"HE WAS FORCED! (walks away)"

Coach JM, why can't you coach all my games?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

10.06 lives on huh...
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

In our LL the most misunderstood rule is the substitution rule - the part about how long a starter has to be out before re-entering.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
In our LL the most misunderstood rule is the substitution rule - the part about how long a starter has to be out before re-entering.
I see lots of problems regarding a starter reentering anywhere in the order for the regular season. Everyone thinks its the same spot, this is only the case come tournament time.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Coach JM, why can't you coach all my games?
TussAgee11,

I can assure you that's the LAST thing you would want. As pleasant and unassuming as I am on this board, I can be a real PRI*K in person.

Anyway, I sensed you may have been a little frustrated with the coach in one of your recent games. I occasionally get that same feeling from the other side of the coin.

Sometimes, after one of those games, I go to the following link and read what's there. For some reason I can't explain, it makes me feel better. Maybe it'll work for you too.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/2990/cb_rules.htm

JM
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
About a week ago I had a thread about the most ignored rule in baseball (no fraternizing between opposing teams while on the field).

Well, after my game today, I thought it would be appropriate to start one on the most misunderstood rules by coaches. I had two of them today.

Situation 1 -1st and 2nd, groundball hits R1. Time, send batter runner to first and R2 back to second. What do you think the coach said?

Situation 2 - Runner on 1st, right hander throws over and throws it into dead ball territory. R1 to third. What do you think coach said?

I wish some leagues had a rules clinic for these guys so I didn't have to put up with their crap anymore. I felt like tossing them a rulebook and telling them to get back to me when they found the rule, meanwhile we'd play baseball.

Sorry for the rant.
In leagues that use any flavor of a DH rule, coaches routinely butcher it by trying to alter the batting order when subbing for the DH.

Common myths and general ignorance of pitching regulations and balk rules is common at every level of the summer leagues I work, young teens through adult.

Finally, I really get frustrated when coaches don't know that "cash at the plate" means CASH, not a freakin' check.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
TussAgee11,

I can assure you that's the LAST thing you would want. As pleasant and unassuming as I am on this board, I can be a real PRI*K in person.

Anyway, I sensed you may have been a little frustrated with the coach in one of your recent games. I occasionally get that same feeling from the other side of the coin.

Sometimes, after one of those games, I go to the following link and read what's there. For some reason I can't explain, it makes me feel better. Maybe it'll work for you too.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/2990/cb_rules.htm

JM
Funny stuff. I feel like thats what goes on at Baseball games ALOT!

I can deal with arguement on judgement calls. Well maybe not arguement, but discussion. When coaches make up rules, its really tough to take.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Need more info. If this were a game played by FED rules, the coach could have a valid point. In FED, the terminology "willfully and deliberately with obvious Intent" is not in their rules. Let's assume a "Tailor made DP" and the ball hits R1. In FED we could ring up 2 unlike OBR.

The coach if he is a good coach probably said "Hey Blue wasn't F1 on the rubber"

Therefore, before you "Rant" provide more info so that a quality answer can follow. With the lack of info you provided it's difficult.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Dave Hensley]In leagues that use any flavor of a DH rule, coaches routinely butcher it by trying to alter the batting order when subbing for the DH.

Dave, I haven't umpired LL in some time other than help out with All Stars. This year my summer assignor received the contract for some 50 BIG League Games.

IMO, LL Rule 7.14 the Sp Pinch Runner rule has not only given coaches fits but us FED umpires as well. In fact, during our summer meetings, we went over this rule "with a fine tooth comb" because this rule comes up every single game.

In my area, the local BIG League Programs originally used their local Umpires, however games were getting out of control and the over-all quality of umpiring was poor. In fact, BIG League was a non-factor in my area until last year. A new president was appointed and he decided to use our associations umpires. Last year we did about 20 games or so and this year we have 50 regular season games not counting play-offs.

Last year was our associations first year of umpiring BIG LEAGUE, and a game was held up some 20 minutes or so trying to get a clarification about rule 7.14.

Therefore, I would rank LL Rule 7.14 "right up there" as one of the most mis-understood rules ever written.

People talk about Fedlandia, but IMO LL has the most convuluted rules ever written in trying to get more kids playing time. Excluding BIG League in regular season the Batting Order is not "locked" into the same position because one can re-enter in ANY position in the order until you get to tournament time. We can go on and on.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
In leagues that use any flavor of a DH rule, coaches routinely butcher it by trying to alter the batting order when subbing for the DH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley

Dave, I haven't umpired LL in some time other than help out with All Stars. This year my summer assignor received the contract for some 50 BIG League Games.

IMO, LL Rule 7.14 the Sp Pinch Runner rule has not only given coaches fits but us FED umpires as well. In fact, during our summer meetings, we went over this rule "with a fine tooth comb" because this rule comes up every single game.

Pete Booth

What's to hard about 7.14?

A special pinch runner (SPR) can be used once per inning.

The SPR has to be a player who isn't in the current lineup.

You can only run for someone once per game.

How complicated is that?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

"Ok, most misunderstood rule by coaches?"

RULES 1 through 10

Bob