The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ozzy Guillen is a complete rat. Arguing in a spring training game for goodness sake!
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:08pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Wow! I'm sorry I missed that!

Cory Snyder was a stud. And he had a cannon! He was a huge part of the 1984 USA Olympic baseball team. I was at every game they played. Other big-leaguers from that team: Bill Swift, Bobby Witt, Barry Larkin, Odibe McDowell, Shane Mack, Chris Gwynn, Flavio Alfaro, Gary Green, B.J. Surhoff, Will Clark, and a guy named Mark McGwire. Snyder shared right with Shane Mack, and he shared third base with McGwire. Mac's Olympic coach was Rod Dedeaux, who was also his college coach, and he had him play third with Snyder and first with Will Clark.

When Japan beat them 3-1, I hurled. Watching the wrong flag go up the flagpole and watching the wrong team jumping up and down on the medal platform made me as sick as any sight in baseball up until that point.

It is now expected to see a team of U.S. professionals get beat by virtually any international professional squad, because baseball's a team sport and U.S. All-Star teams don't play like a team. But back then, they were all in college, and they looked unbeatable at every workout and in every game leading up to the final. It was unreal.
How about Tony Gwynn instead of Chris Gwynn....
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a distance shot of what could be the new jackets. It was on SportsCenter this morning when they were talking about A-Rod. The field umpires were wearing them. No stripes over the shoulders, with the MLB patch on the left chest. There didn't seem to be any coloring on the cuffs and I didn't see any body piping, like the zip-off jacket. The jackets seemed to be similar looking to the ones that they wore many years ago (Split league era) in blue.

Could also be something else, and my eyes were tricking me this morning
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

The MLB guys received 3 new jackets from Majestic. All solid black. 1 is a heavy weight, waterproof shell...1 is a unlined jacket which the sleeves can be zippered off and the other one is just a basic jacket. Shirts stayed the same except for the #'s on the polo blue.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Ozzy Guillen is a complete rat. Arguing in a spring training game for goodness sake!
And trying to kiss umpires to make up ... I mean, take that stuff inside!
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
How about Tony Gwynn instead of Chris Gwynn....
Pretty sure it was his brother, Chris.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
The MLB guys received 3 new jackets from Majestic. All solid black. 1 is a heavy weight, waterproof shell...1 is a unlined jacket which the sleeves can be zippered off and the other one is just a basic jacket. Shirts stayed the same except for the #'s on the polo blue.
Ive noticed some MLB spring training games with the crew still wearing the old black jackets with the "polo" blue striping over the shoulders. Im curious as to why this is.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I think he meant that if you put Tony on there rather than his brother Chris, it would be a greater team.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:21pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I stand corrected. I thought Chris was the name of Tony's son, not brother. Or, is it? I don't recall the exact name.

Thanks.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Tony's son is Tony Jr.

His brother Chris was the left fielder on the 1984 Olympic team and had a couple of tours with the Dodgers and Royals and Padres at the end. He was mainly a pinch-hitter and backup left fielder, so Tony's son's better than his brother. Junior's a stud. I watched him work out at his dad's yard at S.D. State last year.