The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

The MLB umps went to Black shirts, and I'm even hearing of Grey for this year. I believe that the MLBshould go there way and the rest of us, H.S., NCAA etc. should stick with the Blue pullovers. We have adopted the MLB style every time thay change, even if it takes a few years.

What are yout thoughts on the Uniforms the Non-Pro umps wear?
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Copying MLB is a needless expense that only caters to the Walter Middy mindset.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by PAblue87

The MLB umps went to Black shirts, and I'm even hearing of Grey for this year. I believe that the MLBshould go there way and the rest of us, H.S., NCAA etc. should stick with the Blue pullovers. We have adopted the MLB style every time thay change, even if it takes a few years.

What are yout thoughts on the Uniforms the Non-Pro umps wear?

Major League umps can afford it. It's not necessary to conform to what they wear. I like NAVY and hope it stays that way for a while.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I like having a choice. In my high school association, there are several old farts that would prefer to wear the old button-down shirts. Their motto seems to be "Viva El Beco". However, everyone wears navy.

In my college association, the plate ump can choose either powder or navy. All umpires must match.

In my summer league association, it is our policy that any MLB-approved apparel is OK, with the plate ump having his choice. Again, all umpires must match. I personally prefer powder during the day, navy at night, and red on occasional Sundays.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Chris Winn

In my summer league association, it is our policy that any MLB-approved apparel is OK, with the plate ump having his choice. Again, all umpires must match. I personally prefer powder during the day, navy at night, and red on occasional Sundays.

Chris what are your FEES? Powder during day, navy at night and an occasional red - You'll go broke just buying shirts.
The shirts are probably around $30 - $35 bucks a pop and you always need at least 2 of each.

In the association I belong to, Our HS uniforms (Navy Blue)are ok for summer ball as well, no need to have a multitude of shirts. College is different, but that's another association.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
PAblue87...

This is an interesting and usually controversal subject with the various groups I'm associated with here in Silicon Valley (No. California). Not critical, but controversal.

I find that there's a small faction of umpires who always want to emulate the MLB guys. "Whatever the 'big boys' do, I want to do as well." I wish they all had that sort of mentality as it relates to performance in addition to appearance.

Proffesional sports franchizes have discovered over the last couple of decades that there are mega bucks to be made by constantly 're-styling' the various pro uniforms, et al. I understand why some umpires want to keep up (stylize). I also understand the general economics behind umpiring expenses and, while many alledge they're not umpiring for the bucks, the expenses, if not kept in check, will tend to get out of hand with the cost of uniforms and equipment.

I manage a group of about 80 umpires and we've taken the middle ground on the issue. The same is true, I might add, for our local high school and college associations. That middle groud is: NAVY BLUE PULLOVER IS MANDATORY for all groups. UMPIRES MUST MATCH (excepting those situations where the 'plate ump' may be wearing a shirt and the 'base ump'a jacket). If shirts are worn by all umps, then they must 'match' ... the color can be navy blue, light blue or red ... some even have the cream color shirts now. The entire issue is to LOOK LIKE A TEAM ... (Helloooo! Isn't this the meaning for the word UNIFORM?)

Again I will reiterate ... the ultimate is to not only "look" like a team, but, even more importantly, "perform" like a team. A smart man would want both, but the latter is obviously of greater value.

I understand that MLB is considering a 'wine' color shirt, too. I hope it's a Pinot Noir, my favorite beverage.

[Edited by etbaseball on Mar 11th, 2002 at 03:14 PM]
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 09:25pm
Administrator

I really liked it when the MLB umpires went to navy blue, powder blue, and red. I do not like the color scheme that they went to last year. I am glad that we went to the red and blues scheme of shirts. That is just my two cents.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 12, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Wink

How will coaches and player refer to us a "Blues"? I like the navy and powder look. Getting black shirts also means black hats, another cost.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DDonnelly19 Send a message via AIM to DDonnelly19 Send a message via Yahoo to DDonnelly19
Don't forget that the MLB pants are also a "sage grey", not the traditional heather grey. Tack on another $80 for pants!
Old Tue Mar 12, 2002, 11:06am
Veteran College Umpire

The Big Ten has issued an edict this season that our shirts must NOT have the organizational patches they've had for the past few years since we have our hats embroidered. HOORAY! I won't have to wear those old shirts for 5 weekends and put them in the closet for the rest of the year - and the new "plain" shirts I buy can be new for the Big Ten season and then be used all summer for everything else I work. I like the navy or light blue pullover shirts and have no desire to wear the MLB stuff. Of course, I HAVE worn red...and then there's the new jackets...and I can't live without the new Platinum West Vest...and those POS shoes are great...so there's always SOMEWHERE to spend my money - but I didn't get in this for the money...etc, etc, etc!
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer the light blue pullovers in nearly every situation. To my taste, they look better and are certainly cooler in direct sunlight. They also give demarcation between us and the navy-blue jerseyed teams.

Of course, a crew must match. And stay away from the MLB colors!

P-Sz
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I like the navy pullovers also. I bought the black pullover last summer and wore it with the grey pants and it looked good too. We don't need sage pants. Black shirts are no hotter than the navy and if it is that hot, the powder blue isn't going to make a big difference either. 95 and humid is still 95 and humid no matter what color shirt you have on.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Question hats

Those of you that have or wear black shirts, what do you do about hats. Navy hats with black shirts?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 05:36pm
Michael Taylor

We decided that black was an option we could wear but would in no way reguire it. However if you do get one you must wear the sage pants, black ball bags and black hat. It's a fair chunk of change to go to it. We also started a new HS group this year so we had to get all new hats with lettering and new covers. It's been an expensive spring.