The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Tights for work behind the plate

Last summer I umpired with a few guys that emphatically recommend wearing (loose fitting) tights while behind the plate. They insist that it is extremely comfortable and cool. Does anyone here wear tights for work behind the plate?

-Josh
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Last summer I umpired with a few guys that emphatically recommend wearing (loose fitting) tights while behind the plate. They insist that it is extremely comfortable and cool. Does anyone here wear tights for work behind the plate?

-Josh
"Loose" tights would be an oxymoron, no?

I wear long "copmpression" tights when workling the plate. They wick moisture away from the body and provide a degree of "protection" from irritation from shinguard straps.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:01am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think you'll find that anybody who's umpired for any amount of time, wears some sort of full compression under their plate pants. The increased comfort is something I'll never give up.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
"Loose" tights would be an oxymoron, no?

I wear long "copmpression" tights when workling the plate. They wick moisture away from the body and provide a degree of "protection" from irritation from shinguard straps.
Ditto for the same reasons.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

McDavid grays with a floating cup pocket on the plate and on the bases. The thigh and calf support they offer is just as essential on the bases. Because they wick the moisture away, they're actually cooler for your legs than nothing at all. They're not cheap, and they don't last forever (especially if you wash them in the washer), but they are essential.

(Never use fabric softener with any of your wicking compression gear or wicking uniform shirts. It ruins them. Also, the compression stuff lasts longer when you just quick wash them in the sink with mild soap and hang them to dry.)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

McDavid Brand

Long gray tights for both bases and plate. McDavid hexpad shorts over those when behind the plate. Took a pitch and a foul ball directly to each leg/inner thigh last year in same game then again the next day. Bought these on advice of a college catcher I know/used to coach that is known for his ability to block everything in the dirt using any part of his body.

I highly recommend both.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
Long gray tights for both bases and plate. McDavid hexpad shorts over those when behind the plate. Took a pitch and a foul ball directly to each leg/inner thigh last year in same game then again the next day. Bought these on advice of a college catcher I know/used to coach that is known for his ability to block everything in the dirt using any part of his body.

I highly recommend both.
I have the hexpad tights, and I wear them too--especially at any varsity and above. The padding is seemingly thick, but once they're on, they're less detectable than any other gear. Very light. But I never tried the two-layer deal. Maybe it works in cooler weather?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I wear them too, but in black with the floating cup pocket. Lester's is the only place I can find em in black. And no hex for me.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

MSBL Nationals game: Righty batter, catcher moves way inside. Now I'm working a little higher and right over the top of his head, instead of being in the true slot. Slender catcher, and a big right-hander throwing high-80s/low-90s. He throws this sweeping sailing fastball and the catcher does a Russ Martin, and I catch a straight shot in the inside of my right thigh, right behind where I have my thumb.

I went right home, and as my football-shaped thigh bruise was forming, I went to Lester's, PayPal'ed him $53 bucks plus shipping--a mere portion of that day's game fee--and the next time and every time since, I have worn them behind the plate. The compression is not as great as with the unpadded tights, but they are very comfortable and the protection is outstanding.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post

I highly recommend both.
The hex pads are extremely hot in the summer. I still wear them for the protection regardless of the temperature, but they are almost unbearable when it gets in the high 90s or low 100s.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:46am
In Time Out

Underarmor

I wear black long underarmor tights on both plate and bases...."cold gear" in the spring; lighter-weight ones if it's warmer
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
The hex pads are extremely hot in the summer. I still wear them for the protection regardless of the temperature, but they are almost unbearable when it gets in the high 90s or low 100s.
I have only worn them since the end of last summer, so I haven't given them the true test any higher than 85 or so, and I didn't notice. But if it's over 85, I'll use the regulars and take the risk. It's somewhat rare to have a straight shot right there. It usually bounces first and shoots up and those don't hurt.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:54am
Stop staring at me swan.

I've always used black, but just bought the gray ones...they're underneath...I guess I don't care what color they are...I've had my current pair for over 10 years now, always air dryed them, but they don't have the cup pocket so I was adding another layer over them for my cup stuff...I'm excited to cut a layer. I don't think I'll ever go HexPad...if I were doing Kiddie ball where there are some weak catchers I'd consider it.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 12:58pm.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've used the gray McDavids for several years, and like them a lot. The real bonus is no rub from the shin guard straps. I've got a pair of Shock Doctor hockey tights, that have a cup pocket, that I'll be trying on the field next week. They're really well built, and cheaper.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I've always used black, but just about the gray ones...they're underneath...I guess I don't care what color they are...I've had my current pair for over 10 years now, always air dryed them, but they don't have the cup pocket so I was adding another layer over them for my cup stuff...I'm excited to cut a layer. I don't think I'll ever go HexPad...if I were doing Kiddie ball where there are some weak catchers I'd consider it.
Buddy, even the shots that you take from high school freshmen don't hurt. The youth ball shots are like mosquitos.

The hexpads are for the high-80s straight shots.