The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

View Poll Results: Who should take the overthrow?
BU (PU takes B/R) 10 29.41%
PU (BU retains the B/R) 24 70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am totally in agreement. I had this exact play, my partner went foul as I was going to the 45, and I just turned left and told him I had second. There was a play and I was set and at a great angle and was able to get the play right.

He busts toward second with the runner, and just like the man said, he would have been making the call on the run from 75 feet away while I'm doing ... what?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Kevin, were you PU? I'm not sure what side you're taking on this one? Just for discussion...thanks.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Kevin, were you PU? I'm not sure what side you're taking on this one? Just for discussion...thanks.
PU; two-man.

F4 dove for the ball stumbled to his knees and bounced the throw. I broke for second as soon as the ball got by F3.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

okay, so you're on team PU...at least in that sitch...sounds like good communication...which often times trumps "the book"
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Team PU ... I love that! That says it all.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Keep the PU on the overthrow. Keep BU w/ the runner. What if there's a play at 3B? now you have PU in the middle of the diamond, potentially in a throwing lane. Keep it simple...my version.
Quote:
I agree Maz17...there's no other way to cover this IMO...I guess in my pregames, this is how we'll do it...those who disagree on here can do it their way.
did Maz17 change your mind?BTW I voted pu take the BR into 2nd...

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz17 View Post
This is so stupid. There is NO QUESTION in my mind that all of you... I do not care if you are an Olympic Sprinter... none of you... as a BU can stay ahead of a B/R if you read pressure and go foul!
Sorry. I apologize for reading right through the part about BU going into foul territory at first read.

I would not have done so. I have learned through some young A and AA umpires and their evaluators that there really is hardly ever a "need" to go foul. (One of the great things about this area is that I can choose to watch a Single A, Double A or Triple A game most days, and get to chat with young umpires with a variety of experience)

I do not go into foul territory.

I am retired and not an Olympic sprinter and even I can bust in and get to the cut out at second ahead of B/R. I don't see the problem.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Feb 12, 2009 at 01:04am.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:31am
Stop staring at me swan.

well, i'm not sure if he changed my mind or not. honestly, in a game I'm doing, BU is going to stay with the runner (at least that will be the original plan)...unless for some reason I'm PU and I realize that he's not going to get there. I'll try to cover for him. If I look over and my partner pushed himself way foul...then i better read that and bust my tail out there. many times you just have to read your partner and the play...if you follow the book, and there's nobody at the base for a play...the book doesn't matter.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

This has to be covered during pregame. It is an acceptable and taught mechanic for pressure situations. As PU you should be no closer than the 45' running lane. If that is the case, you should have no problem creating an angle for any subsequent play at 2nd. As fast as some of these HS kids are, not to mention college players, the BU having to travel across the diamond and have an angle on the play is nearly impossible. I'm not saying you would not be able to see the play, but it will look like you didn't. This is one of those times that you earn your money as a PU.

Again, Pregame, Pregame, Pregame.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:45am
Stop staring at me swan.

if the throw was terrible though, BU could read that the throw is sailing and pass the ball to PU and bust it in...if you're reading the throw, there's no point and being HOKS if you know there's no longer going to be a play there.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if the throw was terrible though, BU could read that the throw is sailing and pass the ball to PU and bust it in...if you're reading the throw, there's no point and being HOKS if you know there's no longer going to be a play there.
Exactly, almost. There was not a quality in the OP and no reason to come set OR go into foul territory. The proper mechanic remains for BU to bust in and take the runner. There really is no need to "pass the ball to the PU"...it's his.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Read and react.

Sometimes you just have to be flexible and make sure coverage is provided. That is what is more important.
I voted for what should be the norm here but, I will stick with what I previously stated. Also, there is just no way in hell, even if your an olympic sprinter and not retired, that if your in foul terriitory and the runner breaks for 2nd your going to be in position to even look like you made the correct call.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Also, there is just no way in hell, even if your an olympic sprinter and not retired, that if your in foul terriitory and the runner breaks for 2nd your going to be in position to even look like you made the correct call.
Depends on where the runner was when the ball went into DPT.

That said, there is no way in hell anyone should have been in foul territory given the OP.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

You must be talking about a different kind of play. You bust in and take the runner, and we'll stay out of the way and get the close look at the play at second.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You must be talking about a different kind of play. You bust in and take the runner, and we'll stay out of the way and get the close look at the play at second.
I'm talking about a bad throw to first, as in the OP. As I was taught at school, I will not come set, I will not move into foul territory. Busting in is then no issue unless you're incredibly slow or lazy. I will then be near the 2nd base cut-out and have no problem seeing either the touch or a play.

My partner, plate gear and all, will be doing his job and take the ball and we'll get the play right.

You may have been taught differently.

To each his own.