The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

ASA Overthrows

Can an ASA umpire out there tell me were in the ASA Softball rules is there a statement. That on an overthrows you get 1 base on an overthrow from the infield and 2 bases from the outfield. The only statement I could find was 2 bases are awarded for any overthrow. Please give me the rule number if the original statement is true 1 infield - 2 outfield.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 07:11am
softball_junky

The rule is two bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw. Does not matter if it is from the infield or outfield. Now if it is not a thrown ball and a fielder drops the ball and it roll into dead ball territory it is one base from the last base touched at the time of the dead ball. Like in FP if a pitched ball goes into dead ball territory it is one base.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl111d
Can an ASA umpire out there tell me were in the ASA Softball rules is there a statement. That on an overthrows you get 1 base on an overthrow from the infield and 2 bases from the outfield. The only statement I could find was 2 bases are awarded for any overthrow. Please give me the rule number if the original statement is true 1 infield - 2 outfield.
Not for over 20 years.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

"Two from the outfield, one from the infield" ranks with "one plus one" as a top myth in awarding bases. But I still hear it several times a year.

Even in OBR, this is a myth. The award is two bases from last base legally touched no matter who throws the ball, with the exception of (1) first play by an infielder, where it's 2 bases from TOP, and (2) a throw by F1 in contact with the rubber, where it's 1 base from LBLT.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl111d
Can an ASA umpire out there tell me were in the ASA Softball rules is there a statement. That on an overthrows you get 1 base on an overthrow from the infield and 2 bases from the outfield.
In case it is not obvious by the others answering your post, the answer to your question is "No."
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
In case it is not obvious by the others answering your post, the answer to your question is "No."
No, the answer is "in a pre-1980 rule book".