The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Then why was Eric Gregg (God rest his soul) crucified for calling strikes?

And Randy Marsh just gets the comment, tight but consistent K zone.
Because Eric was inconsistent and calling an inappropriately large zone.

There is such a thing as calling too many strikes. It's just harder to do than calling too many balls.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because Eric Gregg--one of the nicest human beings in the history of the game--was not calling strikes on pitches that were close to being strikes and he was doing so with a rooftop camera busting him.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Guys who call strikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No, they don't. Strikes umpires end up being irrelevant after a couple innings because the batters start swinging. Ball umpires are noticed the whole game as everyone watches borderline pitches.
This is very well put.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

All good info. for what it's worth. I have found at the HS, Collegiate, and MiLB level that CONSISTENCY is whats relevant. If your tight zone is established early, than it is defendable. Not that it makes it a correct zone. Be consistent. If you know you are tight, like mentioned before, start with opening up the corners a little bit throughout the whole game. Don't make adjustments mid-game. Your zone will define you as you work your way up. I am known as a pitchers umpire because I tend to reward the CONSISTENTLY hit outside and inside corner. I DO NOT vary on the height of the zone. As mentioned, those pitches can be seen from the dugouts. Good luck and keep working hard.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First off, you've been around by now to have heard that MLB is not the model you want to follow in amateur ball. Best in general to simply ignore what they do.

Second, Gregg umpired in a different era, when umpires distinguished themselves by their distinctive zone. Apart from the fact that his era is over, that behavior is diametrically opposed to what we strive for in amateur ball.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No, they don't. Strikes umpires end up being irrelevant after a couple innings because the batters start swinging. Ball umpires are noticed the whole game as everyone watches borderline pitches.
I have to agree. It has been my experience that good coaches want their batters swinging, not looking for walks. Calling strikes encourages swinging.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I had a game that featured a team from the bowels of East Los Angeles. Every single hitter went to the plate with a plan. They could push a bunt, hit-and-run, foul off any two-strike pitch ...

That team swung and missed twice in a seven-inning game. And I can't say that anyone over-swung. They swung and contacted virtually every strike and went out of the strike zone rarely. Generally the first strike thrown to a batter was put in play. And the two-strike batting was off-the-charts. There were so many foul balls that they had to go into a second case--pretty rare for H.S.

Zero Ks, and very few called strikes--maybe five or six. It was the damndest thing I have ever seen.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Amen to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11 View Post
I have to agree. It has been my experience that good coaches want their batters swinging, not looking for walks. Calling strikes encourages swinging.
Preach, brother, preach. The truth will set you free.

I knew this as a coach and it has been confirmed by me as an umpire. Call borderline pitches strikes early and you rarely have to call them late in the game. It is a lot more fun to umpire, watch, coach and play a game when the bats are swinging.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

The strike zone is your baby. Take care of it and see the pitch from the pitcher's hand. If the angle is going down, notice the catcher's glove going down with the pitch, but still keep your eye on the ball.

The top of the zone is when the batter makes a swing, with his back armpit. That is about a good hand width above the belt. The low point is at a straight line at the bottom of the knee cap.

To make that low pitch consistent, the ball CANNOT be angling down. It has to be from the pitcher straight to the catcher.

You hear the word "timing" a lot but that means wait, say strike or ball to yourself before calling the pitch. Be relaxed when the pitch is coming and breath. It want be anything until you call it.

The timing thing means get in front of a mirror and see yourself making the call. The self confidence that you will obtain will be the best start. The rule book is misleading by the picture. The best thing about working the plate is the challenge to see each pitch, and to keep your timing at the same speed.

Hope this might help

Last edited by baseball1955; Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 02:34am.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

The strike zone is your baby. Take care of it and see the pitch from the pitcher's hand. If the angle is going down, notice the catcher's glove going down with the pitch, but still keep your eye on the ball.

The top of the zone is when the batter makes a swing, with his back armpit. That is about a good hand width above the belt. The low point is at a straight line at the bottom of the knee cap.

To make that low pitch consistent, the ball CANNOT be angling down. It has to be from the pitcher straight to the catcher.

You hear the word "timing" a lot but that means wait, say strike or ball to yourself before calling the pitch. Be relaxed when the pitch is coming and breath. It want be anything until you call it.

The timing thing means get in front of a mirror and see yourself making the call. The self confidence that you will obtain will be the best start. The rule book is misleading by the picture. The best thing about working the plate is the challenge to see each pitch, and to keep your timing at the same speed.

Hope this might help
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1955 View Post
The top of the zone is when the batter makes a swing, with his back armpit.
OBR 2.00 "STRIKE ZONE": The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

FED 2-35 "STRIKE ZONE": The height of the strike zone is determined by the batter's normal batting stance. If the crouches or leans over to make the shoulder line lower, the umpire determines height by what would be the batter's normal stance.

Bolding mine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the zone determined as the pitch is made, not as the batter makes his swing?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Many hitters dip their back shoulder as they swing.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Quote:
. . . "timing" a lot but that means wait, say strike or ball to yourself before calling the pitch.
Not the best of advice here.

This is "false" timing.

If you simply follow the philosophy of Jim Evans ("Timing is the proper use of eyes") the truth will set you free.

If you follow the ball all the way to the catcher's mitt BEFORE you start any part of a strike mechanic your timing will be perfect.

You don't need to say: "One Mississippi, or chew your gum twice, or silently think 'Strike.'"

Just follow school procedure and all will work out.

Regards,
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1955 View Post
You hear the word "timing" a lot but that means wait, say strike or ball to yourself before calling the pitch.
Only to the uninitiated would it mean that. A phony delay adds nothing positive to the execution of calling balls and strikes. It just makes people wait longer for a bad call.

Timing is the proper use of the eyes. Correct timing adds a positive element to calling balls and strikes, not a delay.

If "One-Mississippi" helped one's accuracy, imagine what reciting the Greek Alphabet would do.

alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lambda, mu, nu, xi, omicron, pi, rho, sigma, tau, upsilon, phi, chi, psi, omega...STRIKE!!!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

The pause is a built-in buffer that some umpires might need to fully evaluate a borderline call and deliver it without appearing inconsistent. Not everyone here is a master.