Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Well, this should be fun this season. From the IHSA (Illinois) website:

Quote:
1/23 Illegal BAts

Boys Baseball

Coaches,

It is very important that you notify your baseball players that two bats have the BESR certification but are illegal by rule since they are not round on the handle. The Vendeta bat has a square spot in the handle and the Vector has holes in the handle that created a flat spot and both bats have been identified by the NFHS as Illegal bats.
JM
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio we are lucky to have Kyle McNeely (chair of NF Baseball Rles Committee) to go to for answers. I talked with him last week at our state rules interpreters meeting.

Mattingly bat: Legal

Reebok Vector O: Illegal. Only because Reebok failed to present the bat to BESR certification committee. Reebok was notified on Thursday January 22 by NF rules committee the bat was illegal.

DeMarini Vendetta: Illegal. The handle is not smooth, nor cylindical. It has raised rails.

Additionally, those of you who have said the "smooth, cylider" part of bat definition only applies to the barrel are dead wrong.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

The only reason for all of this horse$&it is to make sure that us officials don't ever run out of anything to argue about among ourselves.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 09:00pm.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
In Ohio we are lucky to have Kyle McNeely (chair of NF Baseball Rles Committee) to go to for answers. I talked with him last week at our state rules interpreters meeting.

Reebok Vector O: Illegal. Only because Reebok failed to present the bat to BESR certification committee. Reebok was notified on Thursday January 22 by NF rules committee the bat was illegal.

DeMarini Vendetta: Illegal. The handle is not smooth, nor cylindical. It has raised rails.

Additionally, those of you who have said the "smooth, cylider" part of bat definition only applies to the barrel are dead wrong.
Is the NFHS going to issue this to the states? I talked with my State Director yesterday and he said we were going to wait on something from NFHS. He is not going to declare them legal or illegal until/unless NFHS does.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post

I just saw a memo written on NFHS letterhead dated today (February 5) that was sent to Member State Association Executive Directors. It states that both the DeMarini Vendetta and the Reebok Vector "...have been found rule-compliant by the NFHS for use in high school baseball..."
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Blue View Post
I just saw a memo written on NFHS letterhead dated today (February 5) that was sent to Member State Association Executive Directors. It states that both the DeMarini Vendetta and the Reebok Vector "...have been found rule-compliant by the NFHS for use in high school baseball..."
$ound$ like they've been approved for use by the NFH$
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty
Came from our high school Interscholastic Athletic Association State Director by way of my association president. Sure looked official to me.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Blue View Post
Came from our high school Interscholastic Athletic Association State Director by way of my association president. Sure looked official to me.

Okay...the chair of the FED rules committee rules the bats illegal and a piece of FED letterhead states that the bats are legal.

I hope y'all don't mind some of us waiting until FED speaks with one voice,
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You mi$$ed one. I gue$$ the NFH$ didn't get a$ much a$ they wanted.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Okay...the chair of the FED rules committee rules the bats illegal and a piece of FED letterhead states that the bats are legal.

I hope y'all don't mind some of us waiting until FED speaks with one voice,
What I saw came from Elliot Hopkins. I believe he is the NFHS director of educational services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee.

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Fri Feb 06, 2009 at 06:17am.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Legal?

I also posted this on NFHS forum: Can you please show some documentation that this is correct? I cannot find anything on the FED website or anywhere else that this is correct.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I can't wait to let a kid use one.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Response

The New York State Baseball Umpires Assn has posted a notice on their web site saying the message is from FED.

Kevin, the bat is so expensive, some schools and parents may buy it and then not let anyone use it at that price.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Well, it's a little slow here on a Friday night, so.....

A couple of pages back, dash_riprock suggested that adding holes to the Reebok bat was silly. MTD. Sr. took him to task, asserting that dash hadn't learned fluid mechanics. dash invited MTD to provide a calculation of drag, but instead got a (wrong) explanation of ball-bat collisions.

Dash was right-- there is little benefit to adding holes to the bat handle. The drag on a cylinder is proportional to the area times the velocity squared. Since the handle moves roughly at 1/3 the speed of the barrel, and the area is perhaps 1/10 that of the barrel, in rough terms the air resistance of the handle is about 1% that of the barrel. Reducing that 1% to perhaps 0.8% is a very small effect.

And the ball-bat collision stuff? MTD starts with the assertion that the collision is elastic. But it isn't. A baseball has a coefficient of restitution of around 0.45 at typical collision velocities, and is limited by rule to 0.565 at 60 mph (less than bunting speed). All the subsequent discussion of conservation of energy and momentum, and sums of velocities is inappropriate for inelastic ball-bat collisions.

Finally, this assertion: "The mass of the bat is much greater that the mass of the ball and it only takes a small increase in a bat's velocity to greatly effect the amount of momentum transfered from the bat to the ball." is way wrong.

If the collision were elastic, a 1 mph increase in bat speed would give a 2 mph increase in ball exit speed. But since the COR is about 1/2, the actual effect is 1 mph in bat speed gives about 1 mph in ball exit speed.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Well, it's a little slow here on a Friday night, so.....

A couple of pages back, dash_riprock suggested that adding holes to the Reebok bat was silly. MTD. Sr. took him to task, asserting that dash hadn't learned fluid mechanics. dash invited MTD to provide a calculation of drag, but instead got a (wrong) explanation of ball-bat collisions.

Dash was right-- there is little benefit to adding holes to the bat handle. The drag on a cylinder is proportional to the area times the velocity squared. Since the handle moves roughly at 1/3 the speed of the barrel, and the area is perhaps 1/10 that of the barrel, in rough terms the air resistance of the handle is about 1% that of the barrel. Reducing that 1% to perhaps 0.8% is a very small effect.

And the ball-bat collision stuff? MTD starts with the assertion that the collision is elastic. But it isn't. A baseball has a coefficient of restitution of around 0.45 at typical collision velocities, and is limited by rule to 0.565 at 60 mph (less than bunting speed). All the subsequent discussion of conservation of energy and momentum, and sums of velocities is inappropriate for inelastic ball-bat collisions.

Finally, this assertion: "The mass of the bat is much greater that the mass of the ball and it only takes a small increase in a bat's velocity to greatly effect the amount of momentum transfered from the bat to the ball." is way wrong.

If the collision were elastic, a 1 mph increase in bat speed would give a 2 mph increase in ball exit speed. But since the COR is about 1/2, the actual effect is 1 mph in bat speed gives about 1 mph in ball exit speed.
Oddly, I think I actually understood (sorta' ) what Dave Reed said here, and found his argument compelling.

Nicely done.

JM