The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm just saying that you did place high school in a category that made it sound free of any real challenges. I did a H.S. game at Jered and Jeff Weaver's school, and they had another pro prospect throwing 94 mph when I was there. There was another private school in the valley that had three D-I pitchers who were already signed as juniors. One 91-mph-throwing left-hander went to Florida State; another lefty, who throws 93, went to Loyola Marymount, and the third one, a right-hander who went 20-0 with a 1.00 ERA as a varsity starter, went to NY Stonybrook. All three may be in the big leagues someday, according to not just me, but the several scouts that followed them. Their games got pretty challenging, too.

High school is not necessarily high school in several parts of the country.
Exactly the point I've tried to make here for a long time: We see lots of pro prospects and they are the ones that actually make it to the bigs. We umpire in front of really big crowds, with many scouts in attendance, and some of the games are televised. They most certainly are featured on the news at night. I've been on TV plenty of times. And I've worked big crowds at Qualcomm Stadium before. I don't care how big or small a crowd is, or how important a player or a game is, I relish the pressure situations, yet have never worked a D-1 game in my life. There is plenty of drama here in SoCal at the high school level. Baseball here is like football is to Texas.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Exactly the point I've tried to make here for a long time: We see lots of pro prospects and they are the ones that actually make it to the bigs. We umpire in front of really big crowds, with many scouts in attendance, and some of the games are televised. They most certainly are featured on the news at night. I've been on TV plenty of times. And I've worked big crowds at Qualcomm Stadium before. I don't care how big or small a crowd is, or how important a player or a game is, I relish the pressure situations, yet have never worked a D-1 game in my life. There is plenty of drama here in SoCal at the high school level. Baseball here is like football is to Texas.
Very, very well said and very true.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
And you can't compare D1 with the big leagues...and so it goes.
And we never compared it to D-I, because we know we can't.

It's just high-level high school with games that are peppered with high draft picks and major D-I signees.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
And we never compared it to D-I, because we know we can't.

It's just high-level high school with games that are peppered with high draft picks and major D-I signees.
Yup.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Here are two pitchers from the team that won the National Tournament at Cal State Fullerton. I see them both as serious big league prospects. The first guy is an Orel Hershiser clone. His name is Tyler Johnson and he went 20-0 as a varsity starter in one of the most competitive leagues in the country. He's in his first year at D-I NY Stonybrook. The lefty, Ryan Hawthorne, throws 92-94 mph on corners, and has a 68 mph change, a 72 mph bender and a 82 mph bender, with command of all of them. He's sick. He's a freshman at D-I Loyola.

There are many whole states without two pitchers this good and these two guys were on the same team. And they carved up the Nos. 1, 2 and 7 teams in the country in that tournament.

There are indeed high school games that present the same challenges as any you'll find. The best 18-year-olds in California can play with anybody.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 02:12pm.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin

I believe as the historian you would know that several high school age players that went right to the big leagues. So, it is very possible there are still excellent high school players and competition in certain areas of the country. This kid with both the 72 mph deuce and a 82 mph hook sounds impressive.

Now back to topic. Would the good respected umpires who are known to have a "tight" but consistent strike zone, be the ones who make the ball hit the some part of the white, and the good respected umps who are know to have a more "liberal" zone be the ones who make the ball hit some part of the black? I would assume the ones who start going farther out start getting the reputation of being too liberal even if they are consistent.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
HS Games

I seems to me that comparing HS players and games to college or pro baseball is getting a little carried away. Many here have worked games in the HS arena where highly touted prospects have played in. But it is still a HS game. With HS players and coaches. It is not College or professional baseball.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oops

Sorry for the 2nd paragraph in #81 above. It should go on the other post. "That's a balk" on my part.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
I seems to me that comparing HS players and games to college or pro baseball is getting a little carried away. ... But it is still a HS game. With HS players and coaches. It is not College or professional baseball.
Where did you get that?

Wow, that's quite a reach.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 09:40pm.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

?

Where did I get what? After I read the scouting report accompanied by the pictures, we needed a little dose of reality.Don't fall in love with the players
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think he's just showing us some of the talent that plays in California. That there are many different levels of high school ball is reality.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where did I get what? After I read the scouting report accompanied by the pictures, we needed a little dose of reality.Don't fall in love with the players
Oh, okay ... I'll be sure to watch myself. And I'll tell all the Southern California pro and college scouts that followed them around to control themselves too. And I'll try not to make any other comparisons to elite umpires like yourself that make me seem naive. Maybe when I grow up more, I won't be so impressionable.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 10:41pm.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Relax

My point was that many on this board understand about prospects and scouts. There is no need to get belligerent and run at me. My advice is to not get caught up in all of that. I.m not elite. Relax
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if words like "relax" or "belligerent" or terms like "running at me" apply to anything that I present.

My point is exactly what Seth said: there is high school ball in this region and a couple of others that is of a level that most don't experience or relate to and perhaps shouldn't be painted over with such a broad stroke like it is quite often around here, and like you seemingly were doing. I made that point by emphasizing that a single team had a pair of pitchers that are phenomenal.

No, I'll go continue to relax.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 12:49am.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point was that many on this board understand about prospects and scouts. There is no need to get belligerent and run at me. My advice is to not get caught up in all of that. I.m not elite. Relax
I saw none of that point in your original post.