The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Patrick, HUH?

My comments were directed solely at the eye for eye comment. They were not in reference to the issues of Shulock or Pinella or anything else in the "secular" world.

You must get an awful lot of excercise jumping to conclusions.
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Jeers to Shulock!

One of the great joys of being an umpire is knowing that every time I call a game, I have helped some kid live a part of the "dream". My actions both on and off the field should set the example for others to follow. Do I make mistakes? YOU BET! But to put on a show for the benefit of "pride" only hurts myself, the game and others that may be watching. One thing that I have added to my pregame with the coaches is "Gentlemen, let's remember that we are out here for the kids and that we are examples to them and others". It helps keep me focused and keeps me humble.

I, like Tim C, am embarrassed for Major League Baseball and I hope that MLB will do the right thing and show both Pinella and Shulock that these actions and mentality will not be tolerated. What kind of example have these two individuals set for the millions of people who saw these actions?

---
jumpmaster al

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Sppzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

When you refer to Bible . . . would that be JON BIBLE?

Injecting a little humor here, boys!

Old Thu May 30, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Shulock should be suspended

While I did find Mr. Shulock's actions quite hysterical, as an umpire I also believe that they were unwarranted and extremely unprofessional. Let's put it this way-if Mike Van Vleet, Dan Iassongna, or any other Triple-A umpire did this, they could forget about becoming a full time member of the MLB staff.

It's inexcusable, and I think Shulock needs to pay for his actions.
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Excuse me. Some of us "non-Christians" have a Bible. And we had it for thousands of years before your's. It's ignorant, bigoted statements like your's that has many of us "down" on you "born-agains". You're not the only ones tuned into God.

Bob
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Dear Bluezebra

If any of my comments were offensive to you, I apologize. My intent was not to pass judgement, make endorsements or broadcast what, if any, faith I have.

My original comment was actually intended as more of an inquiry. I was confused by the reference by the "Old Testament Christian."

I should have refrained from joining in. I am normally quite ecumenical and should have known better to speak (write) in a forum where I could not explain myself better.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone. In the future my only "Bible" references will be regarding the most high in NCAA umpiring, Jon Bible.
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Aw, c'mon fellas

Look, they don't call Major League Baseball, "The Show," for nothing. It is a show. It is entertainment. Shulock and Piniella gave Tampa fans their money's worth. They gave baseball fans something to talk about for a couple of days. It gave the front office media relations people something to do. It gave sports writers something to write about. It created yet another classic Lou moment for the highlight reels on those video clip shows. It gave sports radio talk shows something that would eat up air time. It sustained and possibly created jobs!
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

"An eye for an eye" was an admonition to keep the punishment proportionate to the crime. Unfortunately, many people looking for something to attack in our Judeo-Christian heritage delight in spouting the nonsense that it was encouragement to poke out people's eyes, to react with violence. We heard this from the crowd that after September 11 wanted the U.S. to look within itself for why we got the terrorists mad at us. These were the people saying, "If we bomb them, that will only perpetuate the cycle of violence. Be nice to terrorists and they'll be nice to us. We're so rich and we don't share enough. An eye for an eye and everybody will be blind, etc."

In fact, in Matthew 5:38 and 39, Jesus referred to "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" mainly to preach, "Don't operate that way in your personal life"!

[Edited by greymule on May 31st, 2002 at 03:36 PM]
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule continued:
"An eye for an eye" was an admonition to keep the punishment proportionate to the crime. Unfortunately, many people looking for something to attack in our Judeo-Christian heritage delight in etc., etc., etc."

I'm sticking to baseball. Pinella was wrong and will be punished. Shulock was wrong and will be punished. Case closed.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Greymule continued:
"An eye for an eye" was an admonition to keep the punishment proportionate to the crime. Unfortunately, many people looking for something to attack in our Judeo-Christian heritage delight in etc., etc., etc."

I'm sticking to baseball. Pinella was wrong and will be punished. Shulock was wrong and will be punished. Case closed.
I'm glad we cleared that up, and I agree. I hope that you're right that MLB will take corrective action against both, but I doubt knowledge of such action will be made public.

P-Sz