The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I hate to discount the kids potential/talent but has anyone been watching the videos on the news? From the reports I've seen and the footage of him throwing, it doesn't look that extraordinary It's been awhile since I've seen a 9-yo pitch though. Am I off my rocker?

-Josh
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is just another attempt to soften our kids and make everyone feel good about themselves. ...clipped... We never teach them how to rise above failure.

Peace
!00% correct Rut.!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Now the City of New Haven is crying because Mr. Williams Esq. will become involved! What a joke this is turning into!
Maybe the city could appeal to a high court and have Mr. Williams tossed off the case because he's too good!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Maybe the city could appeal to a high court and have Mr. Williams tossed off the case because he's too good!
Ha!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
To answer your q's... not forced and yes. But if the kid has a gift, playing tiddlywinks with the 8-9 year olds does little.
Remember, sports at this age is as much about socialization as anything else. Ask any academic prodigy about the ramifications of moving up too quickly in school.

Putting a 9 year old, against his will and against his parents better judgment, into a league with 11 and 12 year olds is just too much. I'd be willing to lay odds that he doesn't hit above his level, or run faster than other kids his age. If that's true, then he shouldn't be pushed to compete above his age group.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Typical liberal thinking. Let's make it fair, let's give trophies to everyone in the league for "participating," let's not reward excellence, but instead punish it by evening everything out so nobody is better than anyone else. What a load of crap. We should be rewarding this kid with the kiddie ball equivalent of the Cy Young award. He is the reason his team is doing so well. There was no mention of a "stacked team."

Like you said, you struck out a lot when you were little, so challenging pitchers weren't your favorites. Now you think along with these parents.

Myself and others here grew up relishing the challenge that really good pitchers presented, and looked forward to trying to best them. Sure, we struck out sometimes, but we didn't cry about it, or slam our bats down, or act up. We just tried harder next time until we found success ourselves.

What this league is doing is mollycoddling these kids, and not preparing them for life's lessons in the future. They will grow up to be even bigger wimps than their parents, which is sad.
Classic example of American values. Forget about having fun, even when it's a league that is supposed to be fun. Competition and being the best take precedence over all the other reasons one might play in a Little League team.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Socialized baseball? Must be a cultural thing. We still believe in individual effort and one realizing the rewards derived from his talent, initiative and hard work.
This individualism is why America cannot get along with any other nation. Regardless, I cannot change the loudmouths in this thread who just know they are right, so I will not argue any further.

Last edited by canadaump6; Wed Aug 27, 2008 at 10:08am.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Classic example of American values. Forget about having fun, even when it's a league that is supposed to be fun. Competition and being the best take precedence over all the other reasons one might play in a Little League team.
Hey, if it was expressed this way before, then sure, let the kids have fun. This league has playoffs, from what I've seen, so that dilutes your argument. There are leagues all over where fun and participation are the focal points. Once you add playoffs to the mix, IMO, you elevate competition just a bit.

Whose fun takes precedence? Jericho's, or the other kids who can't hit off him?

Frankly, from what I've read, it seems as if one of the board members has inserted himself into this to ensure his previously undefeated team wins the championship. This league has, hopefully, made a name for itself now; and maybe a new motto.

"Don't send your really talented kids here, we won't let them play."

Youth sports are about talent development, character building, fun, competition, and exercise. The league's policy has sacrificed three of these (for all the kids) for the benefit of one of them (for most of the kids).

What are these kids going to do when Mom and Dad aren't there to tell the other job seekers they can't compete because they're too good?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This individualism is why America cannot get along with any other nation and doesn't really care because it's worked so well. Regardless, I cannot change the loudmouths in this thread who just know they are right, so I will not argue any further.
Fixed it for you.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Regardless, I cannot change the loudmouths
Way to be confrontational.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Classic example of American values.
You do not know where my values are.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:30am

Quote:
This individualism is why America cannot get along with any other nation. Regardless, I cannot change the loudmouths in this thread who just know they are right, so I will not argue any further.
I hate to sound like a jingo, but America does more to help other countries than any other country in the world, especially yours which does little in the way of international relief. The fact that the rest of the world is jealous of how our country works and prospers is totally beside the point.

Rugged individualism and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is what made America great. If you want to talk trash about this fine nation, I suggest you take it somewhere else, because you won't find an audience here.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:44am
Stop staring at me swan.

I think it's more of a parent problem than a kid problem...mommy who barely knows how to spell baseball, sees her little johnny strike out three times comes home crying and instead of teaching your kid that either you get better or sometimes you're not going to get a hit every time and some players are simply that good...no matter how much mommy and daddy spend sending you to expensive camps...you might get owned at the plate a time or two...

but instead they try to kick the kid out of little league because he's too good...what a joke.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

LMAO.... You had better thank your Maple Leaf that America is here. It's America that keeps Canada safe, it sure as heck isn't France. As for the overall theme of this thread, the league is way out of line here. The only thing being taught to these kids, is that if they can't compete on the same level as another, complain, cry and whine, mommy will fix it for you.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Good one Walt, but in reality, John Williams is one of those attorneys that you would not want against you but you would seek his help in a minute. This is going to get real ugly, very quickly if he decides to take the case!